*insert gif: "it's fine" while the room is catching on fire*

honestly it's all such a mess :facepalm: certain things just don't make sense, for example 4A and 4Lz have a difference of one point, but a 4A< is worth 9.38 while a 4Lz< 8.63 .... I'm .... ???? there is no proportion ...meanwhile 3Lz = 5.90 and 3A = 8, so a 3A is apparently so much more difficult than a 3Lz, but it seems there's not the same distance in difficulty between a 4A and a 4Lz.... ooook :confused:

For me the "UR jumps value" thing is just funny....they don't call them anyway:smiley_hairpull:

1 hour ago, Bilge said:

Yuzu's Lutz is so good that i want to cry (both to its beauty and to the unfairness in juding to appreciate the exquisite technique)

When you read this entire 4Lz thread... :dislike:

Although now I get better why people goosh over Yuzu's delayed rotation. The comparison is... striking. 

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Yuzu_GOAT said:

Just wondering, have we got a thread/poll to talk about Shoma Uno's coach change/predict where he might end up? 

It's being thoroughly dissected in the It's that time of the year - coaching changes 2019/2020 - Page 12 - Knickknacks: General Skating Chat  thread :)

3 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

Seems they're discussing splitting FS into technical and artistic programs after the Beijing Olympics again. :facepalm:

Is this like, splitting FS into two disciplines/competitions or is it more like renaming the SP and FS and differentiating the scoring guidelines/requirements more? Because the latter iirc was kind of the original idea of the SP versus the FS (except the SP is supposed to be the more technical program and the FS more artistic, lol). If it's the latter, depending on the implementation I could kind of go for it, if it actually makes artistry worth something and punishes the 'push tech/neglect artistry and skating skills' strategy. If they're splitting up the competition entirely though, that's a big NO from me.

Well, right now it's really nothing to discuss, because we don't even know what they mean but this proposed change, neither if it will happen in the end.

I also want to note how many skating fans were against a change from 6.0 system. The major change will always cause controversy, but let's wait until we actually now something specific to declare the death of figure skating.

24 minutes ago, shanshani said:

Is this like, splitting FS into two disciplines/competitions or is it more like renaming the SP and FS and differentiating the scoring guidelines/requirements more? Because the latter iirc was kind of the original idea of the SP versus the FS (except the SP is supposed to be the more technical program and the FS more artistic, lol). If it's the latter, depending on the implementation I could kind of go for it, if it actually makes artistry worth something and punishes the 'push tech/neglect artistry and skating skills' strategy. If they're splitting up the competition entirely though, that's a big NO from me.

It's the latter. Lakernik talked about it in this interview, I translate the relevant part:

This change, which could take effect after the 2022 Olympics, would make the short program and the free skate even more different from each other. The technical and artistic program would be almost the same length, but there would be more jumps and spins in the former, and we would not allow vocal music either; the latter would  be more free which would include more elements chosen by the skater and vocal music would be allowed in it, too.

In addition, while the two-thirds of the points received for the technical program would be covered by the elements, the performance of the artistic program would have be more important in the artistic program. In the artistic program, the level of difficulty of the elements would not be taken into account, only the basue value of the elements and the quality of those [GOE]. We would like to encourage judges to better evaluate the five components.

These are just ideas so we we'll see what the final decision will be but at least - as of now -  it's the direction they aim for.

7 hours ago, kaeryth said:

Knew it was gonna happen / be brought up because USFS.... booo... hiss....

Yeah, bye. 

I DOUBT Yuzu would be skating past 2022 (sadface) so I don't really care at that point, do I? 

But honestly, I'm tired of the narrative that some skaters are "so artistic" without the tech and some skaters are "so good at technical stuff" without the artistry because these skaters might not have skating skills in common but what do they have in common? They all happen to represent the same fed! (or from 2-3 different feds). I wonder why. And meanwhile there are skaters that are better at the technical stuff and better at the artistry or...shocker...both...and they seem to get buried for it. Again, I wonder why.

7 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

It's the latter. Lakernik talked about it in this interview, I translate the relevant part:

These are just ideas so we we'll see what the final decision will be but at least - as of now -  it's the direction they aim for.

In the end, it doesn't matter how often the ISU changes the rules - and nowadays it seems that they change them every season. What matters is that these rules are actually applied, and that they're applied in an even and fair way. In other words, every skater should be judged based on the same standard.

But this is simply not happening, not even close. As a result, we have biased and arbitrary judging that is more based on judges' personal and subjective feelings and opinions. This is why it doesn't even really matter if the reductions for UR are lowered as long as UR calls are all over the place and more a matter of luck (or having certain nationalities on the skaters' part).

Rules can only work if they're applied equally for everybody. And as long as the issue of unfair judging is not resolved, no change of rules will improve the overall system.