Team Russia

On 11/26/2019 at 12:04 PM, shanshani said:

This makes me wonder how if Liza had trained under different circumstances or was younger what a powerhouse she would have been. She's clearly an extremely talented jumper, possibly more innately talented than even Sasha, especially since her body type doesn't lend itself to quick rotation unlike Sasha's currently. But she "grew up" in a time when jumps were less emphasized, and when no one expected that a woman (especially a grown woman) could do a quad, so she didn't have the same opportunity to take advantage of her jumping talent. And now that she's older, she has a hard time receiving the same kind of support as youngsters.

She has a quad now, though, so she might be a more mature, late bloomer skater like Javi, for example. Her technique is so good and Mishin is a good coach — it sucks RusFed doesn’t support her as much as the As (and Alina and Zhenya up to some extent), but I think she will continue to develop.

On 11/26/2019 at 11:26 AM, memae said:

Quality quads in the ladies might mean that the Eteri technique begins to lose some of its charm.

One can only hope! I absolutely hate that technique. It looks bad. 

21 hours ago, ralucutzagy said:

huh?

I have no words. 

On 12/10/2019 at 3:17 AM, memae said:

Does anyone know if Aliev is okay? I was worried he hurt himself in the free at GPF.

Also, Zagitova withdrew from the Gala because of an injury from a fall in the free and she looked wrecked when she was announcing it to the crowd. She was so sad. Perhaps too sad for something as simple as missing a gala. I wonder if perhaps she's thinking her time is up. If she's unable to train for Russian Nationals and she is unlikely to make Montreal... Well, it seemed like she was in a pretty dark place when she was telling everyone she wasn't skating in the gala, like she's given up on herself (or Eteri has). 

I thought the same. Truly, I've thought that since her growth spurt after PC and her blow up at Worlds '18, Alina's been skating on borrowed time, and the chief reason Eteri let her is because she didn't want to give truth to the rumours that Evgenia's departure had already fueled - that the girls are discarded after puberty hits them. 

Does anyone think the WADA ban is going to affect figure skating very much? I really can't see it, it's not a sport where doping is a thing, but I'd love to hear what others think. 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/50740083

Members of Wada's own athlete committee are also considering an appeal via Cas, in the hope that a blanket ban can be enforced after all.

I doubt that the WADA ban is going to affect much in figure skating as it stands - it sounds like it'll be similar to the last Olympics, with most Russian athletes able to go, just not officially as Russian.

But there's a push from the WADA athletes' committee to blanket ban all Russian athletes which would obviously have stark consequences for the ladies field (and pairs/dance to a lesser extent). Right now, the three season's best scores in the ladies from non-Russians are Rika Kihira, You Young, and Bradie Tennell, if that tells you just how weird the podium might look without the Russian ladies. But that doesn't seem like a fair option to me - the current WADA requirements to be able to compete internationally if you're from Russia are quite strict, and if an athlete can meet those, it only seems fair to allow them to compete.

32 minutes ago, river said:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/50740083

I doubt that the WADA ban is going to affect much in figure skating as it stands - it sounds like it'll be similar to the last Olympics, with most Russian athletes able to go, just not officially as Russian.

But there's a push from the WADA athletes' committee to blanket ban all Russian athletes which would obviously have stark consequences for the ladies field (and pairs/dance to a lesser extent). Right now, the three season's best scores in the ladies from non-Russians are Rika Kihira, You Young, and Bradie Tennell, if that tells you just how weird the podium might look without the Russian ladies. But that doesn't seem like a fair option to me - the current WADA requirements to be able to compete internationally if you're from Russia are quite strict, and if an athlete can meet those, it only seems fair to allow them to compete.

A blanket ban seems just as unfair as allowing Russia to continue compete when they clearly think anti-doping is a joke. Sports with a low frequency of positive doping test results should get case-by-case consideration. It would be really odd to have no Russian skaters competing at Worlds, for example. It would totally change the field. 

Although, no Russian competitors might mean no Russian judges either.:think:

9 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

One can only hope! I absolutely hate that technique. It looks bad. 

I have no words. 

I thought the same. Truly, I've thought that since her growth spurt after PC and her blow up at Worlds '18, Alina's been skating on borrowed time, and the chief reason Eteri let her is because she didn't want to give truth to the rumours that Evgenia's departure had already fueled - that the girls are discarded after puberty hits them. 

Does anyone think the WADA ban is going to affect figure skating very much? I really can't see it, it's not a sport where doping is a thing, but I'd love to hear what others think. 

I hope it means they can't compete as a team under Russian athletes. Like, any team comprised of 'independent' athletes should be open to all independent athletes, regardless of where they are from. It makes it difficult to organise selection, etc, but then it also isn't just a loophole for Russia to have teams that just aren't competing under Russia's flag/name. Like, athletes of contested states, etc (Tibet, for one very contentious, polarising example that I'm a little hesitant to bring up but I don't have time to think of anything else right now) who don't want to compete for the official state should be eligible for such independent status as well, and should be able to compete on a team comprised of such athletes. It's tricky and I'm not sure I fully agree with the idea myself, but there's something that doesn't settle well with me about teams of independent athletes from the same banned country competing as a team. Russia doesn't get to fly its flag but it's not like Russia won't count those medals as its own. So, for figure skating - no team entry at all, or no team that doesn't open selection up to other independent athletes (of course, Russia being the skating powerhouse of the world means that despite open selection, only Russians will be selected, but that's not the point).

11 minutes ago, airi said:

So, Alina's out of Nationals and taking a break from training :(

Are we thinking this could become a permanent break from training? It just seems from watching her that her spirit seems to be dimmed... her coaches seemed kind of relaxed about her and she has a body that is not suitable anymore for certain training methods.  Maybe I read too much into it...

2 minutes ago, liv said:

Are we thinking this could become a permanent break from training? It just seems from watching her that her spirit seems to be dimmed... her coaches seemed kind of relaxed about her and she has a body that is not suitable anymore for certain training methods.  Maybe I read too much into it...

I think 'taking a break' in Russian ladies skating may in fact mean 'retire'... I hope she comes back, for herself, she is only 17, for gods sake... But can she come back to train with Eteri after that? Doubtful.

7 minutes ago, liv said:

She is NOT coming back, it’s just a euphemism for retiring. A euphemism that will let Eteri’s team milk her (she pays off 30 percent at least to Eteri out of ALL her profits). 

I am angry, sad and disgusted. I don’t like her skating, but this is way more outrageous than what happened to Zhenya.