General Yuzuru Chat

I thought of buying fan-made Yuzu-costume pins. I didn't still cuz spent too much on Yuzu photo-exhibition stuff :rolleyes: 

I know that a lot of Yuzu-stuff fans give away for free during comps, but if I see smth really nice I might pay cuz production of original design/art also takes time and money (but I am talking about original design/art, not if you just print Yuzu's photo on smth). Also it's a big problem to get official Yuzu-stuff if you're not living in Japan or have Japanese friends.

I think there is a misunderstanding about Nishikawa Campaign. I've read their press release and the explanation of this campaign on the official site, but they aren't stating or implying that the buyer will receive a randomly selected reward. They say that the rewards will be distributed on a first-come-first-served basis at their online store and shops taking part in this campaign, as in past campaigns. I think the non-Yuzu-related items are just options for non-Yuzu fans. They did this in the previous campaign as well. We could choose from two types of Yuzu clear files and a pack of Hiepita (cooling gel sheet) if we were fast enough.
Reference: Press release of the latest Cool Sleep campaign

ETA:

Last time, they described their  campaign like this:
"期間中、対象ブランドのタオルを1,000円(税抜き)以上ご購入いただいたお客様に、羽生結弦選手オリジナルクリア ファイル1枚、またはひんやりグッズ“冷えピタ”1個をプレゼントします。"

Translation:
"During this campaign period, we will offer either a clear plastic folder that features Hanyu Yuzuru senshu designed especially for this campaign or a pack of Hiepita as a present to the customer when they purchased a towel/towels from these campaign products and the total price was over 1.000 yen."

In this campaign, costomers could choose what they wanted from the options left when they accessed the online store or arrive at a Nishikawa shop.

This time, they describe their campaign like this:
"「&Free オーダーまくら」1点と西川の寝具やリラックスグッズなど、いずれかの商品を1点以上ご購入いただいた方に、羽生結弦選手オリジナル缶ハーブティまたは花王の「めぐりズム 蒸気でホッとアイマスク」をプレゼントします。
※各店舗数量限定、なくなり次第終了。"

Translation:
"We will offer a can of herb tea contained in an especially designed can that features Hanyu Yuzuru senshu or a pack of Kao's Megurythm Hot Steam Eye Mask as a present to the customers when they purchased an &Free custom-made pillow with another  more than one of Nishikawa products.
*Each store will have a limited number of rewards. They will end the campaign as soon as they finish distributing them."

They used または in both descriptions. Both can be translated as "or" in English. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that the customer will receive a reward randomly selected from the options.

ETA2: Fixed some mistakes

EP's entire career is based on painting celebrities which imo is the only reason her work draws any attention at all. I agree that her paintings of Yuzu capture nothing at all of his essence.

I personally have no qualms about purchasing fanart/fan goods so long as it's actually *art* and not just a photo printed on something. It's not an either or situation when it comes to buying official goods vs fanart so it's not like it's taking money from Yuzu or his sponsors. I wish more fan artists were okay in selling their work because I'd love to own it. Imo there are far more talented artists on Twitter than EP but she's made more money than any of them would see in a lifetime even from selling small "mass produced" fan goods. 

7 minutes ago, sweetwater said:

But the quoted article says that participants of the ceremony are limited to the representative and vice representative of each school and graduate school...

I know...but please let me dream a hakama Yuzu dream for a little longer...:10742290:

7 hours ago, IceWings said:

Evil. That reminds me of those collectible card games where you buy a pack of cards and most of the cards in the pack are "common" cards with several "uncommon" cards. If you're lucky, you would get a "rare" card, which gives you a lot of advantage in winning the game and are highly sought-after, but in order to get that rare card, you have to buy many packs of cards. :dry:

When you put it like that...and I used to work for a wholesale distributor who sold exactly those types of products (gaming stuff), so I know that yes, people do get carried away trying to get the one special card they're after. 

In this case, though, considering how many hurdles they've put it in the way, it's also a possibility that Nishikawa is just trying to keep all the fans from rushing to stores and overwhelming them with orders, as they would if the Yuzu item was guaranteed with every purchase. IMO a promotion like this has the chance to backfire and actually slow down their sales. People thinking they don't want to gamble.

Edited to add: Nevermind. I see @sweetwater corrected a misconception and translated the campaign properly.

If I were a sales rep in the retail outlets for this brand,  I'd try to figure out if I could tell from outside the package whether there's a Yuzu item inside or not, then make sure anyone who is a fanyu got the Yuzu merch. 

@Old Cat Lady Hmm. Honestly I think it depends on whether the fanart utilizes previously copyrighted material or not.