General Yuzuru Chat

2 hours ago, Geo1 said:

I am glad to see that Ghislain Briand has finally been listed in Wikipedia. When I previously looked, there was no reference to Ghislain in Wikipedia. He has been and continues to be an important part of figure skating history and deserves to be recognized.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghislain_Briand

It's about time - but it reads like something that was written by a non-native speaker or poorly translated from another language. The syntax is off.

Depending on the cost, I would probably buy the pillow a couple times to try to get the Yuzu merch.  I would only buy the mattress if I needed a new mattress and I liked theirs - but I would at least check it out when I normally wouldn't have.

Crazy Fanyu confession: when I heard that Yuzu *might* be the spokesperson for Panasonic, I researched the best Panasonic TV's.  This is a Samsung household but I wanted to be able to say - "I bought a Panasonic TV because Yuzu endorses it"

btw, do you think it is unethical to buy fanart? There's someone on Facebook that makes these adorable Yuzu dolls and I want to offer to buy some but I think it's illegal since it uses his image and obviously I would offer enough to compensate for the time she put into making it, which means she'd be making a profit. However, this isn't taking any income away from Yuzu himself. But I guess there's a danger of encouraging selling his image...  okay, I suppose I kind of know that this might be shady but I really, really want one  :gaah:  ... on the other hand, is it any different than Elizabeth Peyton making money off of her Yuzu paintings?

The attempts to sell expensive merchandise with the chance to win a Yuzu momento is really trying to take advantage of Fanyus.  To me, it is a real turn off and would cause me not to want to buy their product. Its even worse since it's not a sure thing whether you will be 'rewarded'. Mattresses are expensive and something you would use for quite a while, so not something I  would buy without trying it out.  Since these are inexpensive prizes, the least they could do is have a large enough supply so you don't have to gamble on whether you get it or not.  To make matters worse, you have to buy an additional Nishikawa product, as if the mattress or pillow wasn't expensive enough.  I actually need a pillow at the moment, but this campaign has encouraged me to look into the pillows from other companies instead.

As for the Sekkesei Miyabi campaign, if you use their products regularly and know you are not allergic to them, you might want to buy them since they are the same price as many department store sold smetics in Japan, but I wouldn't do so if I didn't try out samples first.

I think the Lotte campaign is okay since you only need to buy something inexpensive, like chocolates which you could eat :agree2:, and you do get the clear files when you purchase the choco or gum. What's not okay is when these files are sold later on Amazon for lots of money :animated-smileys-angry-041:

As for Elizabeth Peyton's paintings, my cynical self tells me she is using Yuzu to promote her own career. And as paintings, they are not really a style that I like and I really don't think they capture Yuzu's likeness or essence very well.

Guess, I will get off my soapbox now  and :meditationf:

35 minutes ago, Old Cat Lady said:

btw, do you think it is unethical to buy fanart? There's someone on Facebook that makes these adorable Yuzu dolls and I want to offer to buy some but I think it's illegal since it uses his image and obviously I would offer enough to compensate for the time she put into making it, which means she'd be making a profit. However, this isn't taking any income away from Yuzu himself. But I guess there's a danger of encouraging selling his image...  okay, I suppose I kind of know that this might be shady but I really, really want one  :gaah:  ... on the other hand, is it any different than Elizabeth Peyton making money off of her Yuzu paintings?

The age old controversy questions... for myself, I’m guilty of buying fan art before ( in other fandom tho) But I think there’s the line where some are artwork and some are just products with his face on. I would absolutely not buy the latter (unless it’s official merch). 

I think you should judge the fan art whether it is really “fine art” or not in terms of whether the art work is transformative enough. Another thing is these yuzu doll probably doesn’t (?) have any implications of Yuzuru endorsing certain brands or products. 

As for Elizabeth Peyton, her portraits of yuzu is (probably) seen as a transformative art work and she’s not mass produced it as a Commercial product. Whether we think that her portraits of yuzu is more than just capturing the likeness of yuzu is one thing lol 😂 but i guess because she’s an artist with many different paintings, people are not gonna judged that too harshly to say oh that’s a infringement on yuzu’s (or other celebrities) public images. 

7 minutes ago, Ladysci said:

The attempts to sell expensive merchandise with the chance to win a Yuzu momento is really trying to take advantage of Fanyus.  To me, it is a real turn off and would cause me not to want to buy their product. Its even worse since it's not a sure thing whether you will be 'rewarded'. Mattresses are expensive and something you would use for quite a while, so not something I  would buy without trying it out.  Since these are inexpensive prizes, the least they could do is have a large enough supply so you don't have to gamble on whether you get it or not.  To make matters worse, you have to buy an additional Nishikawa product, as if the mattress or pillow wasn't expensive enough.  I actually need a pillow at the moment, but this campaign has encouraged me to look into the pillows from other companies instead.

As for the Sekkesei Miyabi campaign, if you use their products regularly and know you are not allergic to them, you might want to buy them since they are the same price as many department store sold smetics in Japan, but I wouldn't do so if I didn't try out samples first.

I think the Lotte campaign is okay since you only need to buy something inexpensive, like chocolates which you could eat :agree2:, and you do get the clear files when you purchase the choco or gum. What's not okay is when these files are sold later on Amazon for lots of money :animated-smileys-angry-041:

As for Elizabeth Peyton's paintings, my cynical self tells me she is using Yuzu to promote her own career. And as paintings, they are not really a style that I like and I really don't think they capture Yuzu's likeness or essence very well.

Guess, I will get off my soapbox now  and :meditationf:

I feel the same about the mattress and pillow campaign.... they’re really trying to take advantage of fanyu. 🙃🙃🙃  

The only campaign I liked so far is indeed the Ghana chocolate one. Super lovely 😋

I agree that the Nishikawa promotion is distasteful. But I admit that I'm a sucker even when I know I'm being suckered.  

I'm glad someone else doesn't like those Peyton paintings.  The Chopin one is ok but I think the practice one that is so prominently displayed is ugly and I can't get past the fact that it looks so little like him.  I guess I do like that it introduces Yuzu to people who might not normally know who he is so I'm slightly less annoyed if there's at least some benefit to Yuzu (unlike with those #$@! Disney crooks!)

52 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

That's brilliant on Nishikawa's part. People will buy 2x as much if they don't get Yuzu the first time.

Evil. That reminds me of those collectible card games where you buy a pack of cards and most of the cards in the pack are "common" cards with several "uncommon" cards. If you're lucky, you would get a "rare" card, which gives you a lot of advantage in winning the game and are highly sought-after, but in order to get that rare card, you have to buy many packs of cards. :dry:

33 minutes ago, Old Cat Lady said:

...Crazy Fanyu confession: when I heard that Yuzu *might* be the spokesperson for Panasonic, I researched the best Panasonic TV's.  This is a Samsung household but I wanted to be able to say - "I bought a Panasonic TV because Yuzu endorses it"

That's how I am about Citizen watches. If I buy one, it would only be because Yuzu endorsed it. :embSwan:

As for the doll, does it look that much like him? I suspect it's mostly the costume? Can you link to a picture? I'm just curious.

13 minutes ago, IceWings said:

As for the doll, does it look that much like him? I suspect it's mostly the costume? Can you link to a picture? I'm just curious.

She makes several of these types of dolls. I also love the "Let's Go Crazy" doll - it features a prominent little butt!

eta: if you click on the link to her profile, you can see the other ones. I can't figure out how to link directly to the screen that pops up

eta 2: If you go to the group page and click on the link to her profile, a page pops up that shows all the pics that she's posted to the group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1610393525875114/2709581379289651/?comment_id=2709714319276357&reply_comment_id=2710291745885281&notif_id=1598683206432756&notif_t=group_comment_mention

I was well trained by Johnny's Entertainment from young (yeah, fan of a duo group in there) so I don't buy fan-made goods produced with a profit making motive as the agency has a strict control on copyright issue. I always believe in buying official merchandise. My believe is that if i want to support that person, my money should go directly towards his income (granted my idol will obviously be richer than me and they probably don't care for my contribution). So I rather my money be spent an official goods released by him or towards brands which he endorses (which means the brand will know his influence on fan's purchase power and will sign him for longer endorsement period - ie more income). 

That said, a fan still has to be rationale. I will pay for items only if the freebies they give is nice and I do use the product. Nishikawa pillow? Nah, my pillow is till new. However, I did buy a towel in the last campaign and I do use towel. Kosei Miyabi? I might if I am in Japan but I am still wary about alcohol content in skincare so it depends.... Phiten socks and necklaces? I bought all of them except the toe sock which was oos the last time I was at the shop and I think my necklaces are fully depreciated now cos I wear them daily. Ghana chocolates? Cheap and chocolate is life. Why not? 

The new Nishikawa campaign is strange though. Buy stuff with a 50-50 chance of getting Yuzu's products? In previous campaign, we get to see what files are still left and to pick the file design we like before we proceed with payment. If files are out of stock, you can choose not to buy. However, a 50-50 chance of getting a Yuzu's eco bag is a gamble and not worth it cos I never have luck in such thing.