1 hour ago, CiONTUw4A said:

I don't know what this is about. I just think it's adorable.

My Japanese is just good enough that I think I can guess that the artist is making a pun. 'koi' means 'carp', but it also means 'love', and the first word is 'tarinai' - 'not enough'. So it says 'carp (love?) is not enough'. 

It also kind of plays off 'Haru yo Koi', at least to my English-speaking ear. 

I wonder if this is relating to Coach Tsuzuki's comment. 

Sorry for my amateur thinking out loud here. Feel free to tell me if I'm on the wrong track.

9 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

"I think what Hanyu lacks is (romantic) love" ----> Ice-chan begs to differ!

I mean yes, she's the tsundere-est of tsunderes, the cruelest of cruel angels, but there isn't a shadow of a doubt that Yuzu loves her dearly. Just go look at the hydroblade in Haru Yo Koi. 

ice-chan plays coy, but she loves him back. 

Joking apart, and without wanting to speculate about Yuzu's private life, I can't help but wonder what Coach Tsuzuki meant.  I can think of a few interpretations, the most obvious being that he's saying Yuzu has never fallen 'in love'. 

Yes, it could have many interpretations.

I don't think he lacks romantic love to have a full range of expressions as says @Pammi, in the sense of Marius Petipa asking Mathilda Kshessinska if she had already felt love we could see it at Nice in 2012, and he was so young.

But since a few months I have felt on him sometimes expressions which I interpreted as him "lacking something" (but I am so bad at interpreting people's expressions, though his are always so open and varied), it was particularly visible in the CBC interview where it made him look older during a moment. May Mr Tsuzuki mean that, after having quietly decided not to love before 25 (which would then have been such a foresight, and a great knowledge of himself, according to @Henni147's parallel with Apollo), then decided to hold on one more Olympic cycle, he is now experiencing a lack of a love and life companion?

He didn't know him only as a child : if I understand well, he coached him also after the Great Earthquake.

But saying his former pupil is lacking romantic love, may be akin to opening Pandora's box, to continue with Greek mythology, given the number of fanyus who would love to be this love. :0011:

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

My Japanese is just good enough that I think I can guess that the artist is making a pun. 'koi' means 'carp', but it also means 'love', and the first word is 'tarinai' - 'not enough'. So it says 'carp (love?) is not enough'. 

It also kind of plays off 'Haru yo Koi', at least to my English-speaking ear. 

I wonder if this is relating to Coach Tsuzuki's comment. 

Sorry for my amateur thinking out loud here. Feel free to tell me if I'm on the wrong track.

I’m just guessing, but I think the drawing is a symbolization of “koigatarinai” which means “I don’t have enough love”.

8 hours ago, Pammi said:

"I think what Hanyu lacks is (romantic) love"  :cri:  Waaaaaaa!! Yuzu deserves the joy (and pain - there is no Spring without Winter) of romantic love! I'm such a sap.....

I know the details of Yuzuru's private life is none of my business, and this is probably not universally true, but I do think there might be some validity to the view that without experiencing the depth of shared emotion characteristic of romantic love, an artist could be somewhat limited in the full expression of the range of human emotion (please discuss lol).  Maybe Yuzuru will have even more to give his adoring fans and supporters through his performances if/when he takes the risk of falling in love......we know how Yuzuru hates to be constrained by limits/limitations, and strives to go beyond them!

Anything for the benefit of his skating of course!

It will be interesting to see what Tsuzuki and Naoko Utsunomiya say about the matter in due course!

Note: this is a lighthearted musing only; I am certainly not suggesting what Yuzuru should or shouldn't do :)

I mean... idk, that RJ at Worlds 2012 was pretty convincing. 

Yuzu's dedication to the sport leaves very little room for much.  He lives and breathes figureskating.  He, himself, describes his life as monastic, ascetic.  Perhaps to continue refining his skills, to achieve his goals requires great sacrifice as he has alluded in the past.

Elite athletes, let alone the GOAT of a sport...it must be a very lonely hard path to the top of the mountain

7 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Joking apart, and without wanting to speculate about Yuzu's private life, I can't help but wonder what Coach Tsuzuki meant.  I can think of a few interpretations, the most obvious being that he's saying Yuzu has never fallen 'in love'. 

It also might be a comment about age and wisdom in a way. Not many people have experienced true, profound romantic love by the age of 25. And even if they have, there's something to be experienced in romantic love as it grows with time.

12 minutes ago, Geo1 said:

I’m just guessing, but I think the drawing is a symbolization of “koigatarinai” which means “I don’t have enough love”.

Well I used autotranslate to scroll through the thread there, and quite a few of the Japanese replies are having fun mentioning the giant stuffed golden carp that was tossed to Yuzu at CoR...it was a pretty big carp, but I guess not big enough...:yuzushrug:

13 hours ago, Umebachi said:

... I look forward to seeing what new styles Yuzu will bring into his skating in the coming seasons following the covid inter-regnum.  I am sure he will continue to push the boundaries: after "conquering" the Nessie,  hopefully he will delve into different types of music and expression.  

After Nessie, the siren song will be quints. After all, it's only 1/2 rotation more! :10814716:

@Henni147, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your aunt and the pain you are going through. Sending prayers and healing thoughts your way for your grandfather and friend to recover soon.

@Sombreuil, I am sorry to hear about your loss as well. 

I hope for better times for you both. :snonegai:

@Ewa, welcome and thank you for sharing your journey to the Planet. I love hearing stories about how non-skating fans discover Yuzu. He has such an amazing gravitational pull. 

This makes me emotional, Japanese gymnast, Asuka Teramoto, chose "Origin" as music piece for her last program in the floor routine.

https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2020/07/15/kiji/20200715s00067000212000c.html

Asuka tore her Achilles' tendon in February but has been training for the competitions of this season and also aiming for Tokyo Olympics. She is a two time Olympian and two time national champion. She says she wants to end her competitive career with music of Origin and will save the program for the next season because she wants to show it at the very end. Good luck, Asuka! (I think I am going to cry when I see it because I have been watching her since she was very very young :smiley-sad021:)

By the way, I've read that when Kanako Murakami was learning gymnastics in her childhood, Asuka was one of her teammates. Small world!

*peeks at the general thread pretty quickly*

Well, I said Yuzuru needed romantic love way before anyone else. *scoffs* 

No, jk, but seriously, I do agree that love enriches an Artist's creativity and expression, I think Yuzuru always had the capability and the desire to love and be loved (and thus skated wonderful, full of love programs) but maybe now it would be a good time to take some time to actively pursue real life koi, because 25 years alone is hard. I've barely survived 20.

15 hours ago, Ewa said:

If I may add something to that, and at the same time introduce myself a bit, because it's my first post here.  Thank you for accepting me, and thank you for the amazing job you do here <3 
I am a Polish scientist working in the US, and a science communicator as well. A few months ago I wanted to write an article for one popular science website, and the article was to be about epigenetics and asthma. I started from epigenetic modifications, went through asthma in athletes, especially ice skaters,  and ended up with not being able to take my eyes off countless  Yuzu's  wonderful videos and gorgeous pictures :) 

I know it's not such a fantastic thing as dedication one's thesis to Mr. Hanyu, but still - he inspires and amazes, even people like me who are not big fans of figure skating. 
(My article is here, if you'd like to take a look, but my apologies - it is in Polish. However, I believe that the most important thing in it, not to mention the most beautiful, is the photo of  the GOAT himself and a few words about him :) https://genetyka.bio/lod-chlod-i-astma/)

Welcome to the best and craziest place 😁 

13 hours ago, Henni147 said:

Hi everyone. It’s been quite a while... The last weeks and months were very painful and difficult for me. My aunt passed away and now my grandfather and a very close friend from Cologne are fighting for their lives in hospital as well. I will probably need more time to process everything, but I’d like to share a recent discovery with you that truly made me smile.

Sending you hugs and positive energy. Thank you for taking the time to share the Apollo/Yuzu analogy. That wonder boy is really helping in these strange and dire times we are living right now.