General Yuzuru Chat

5 hours ago, LadyLou said:

as for what casual fans read or not, if I still were the newcomer who was getting into FS and trying to "catch up" and learn about FS, I would have read such articles.

Once you're in, you learn to know which sources are more reliable, which journalists&bloggers are trustworthy. Generic pieces become less releveant because you don't need to have someone else sum up what's happening, you already know everything.

And of course the general audience wouldn't even bother reading an article about some unconsequential FS award.

But oly channel does contribute to shape general views. Especially contribute to shaping "first impressions", and many would stop at those first impressions (unless they have reasons to delve deeper). So, if I were a newcomer and I was, say, an Alyona fan who had landed on that Oly channel article after searching for Alyona content, I wouldn't have had the best impression of this Hanyu guy who won MVS. I'd probably feel bad for the poor boy who had been left empty handed despite being so.much.better.

And this is what annoys me the most, how people who don't know any better will get a completely wrong idea.

This is why social media engagement is so important. This is how FS fans can take action to not let biased media/organizations like NBC and ISU with their own agenda write the narrative. The Olympics Channel may not care whether the comments and engagement they get are positive or negative but newcomers and casual viewers do. If they found that article via twitter which is how a lot of people get their news nowadays, the top comments are all saying the awards and article are rubbish. Complete with receipts. I take heart when I see fans on social media posting and commenting and liking the right posts to correct such trashy articles. I am a lurker on twitter. I don't post but I do take the time to like well-written articles and to like posts roasting unsavory articles and tweets. Trying to do my bit so more truth comes to light. Don't let them write the narrative.

One more point, but the ISU is as dumb as a dodo to do Yuzu dirty like this. In today's world run by social media, it's possible to bring what was once niche into the mainstream with good social media marketing. Look at kpop, pet celebrities, dance practices, etc, etc.

Yuzu is already a great ambassador for FS - phenomenally successful, gifted, classy, well-spoken, intelligent, philanthropic and an all-around lovely guy. He's also built for social media marketing. IMO, he is the most instagrammable, memeable, giffable, twitter/tumbler/YT-friendly star the ISU could possible ask for on a plate. Blessedly photogenic face so he looks good in close-ups (#nofilter). Wears beautiful costumes and tight fitting UA gear that highlights his lines. Unashamedly extra in practice (2s-1lo-4t anyone?). Does everything 120% so even warm up and cool down is beautiful. Has very distinctive habits and an interesting off-ice personality. Has a cuddly mascot. How many times has Yuzu gone randomly viral on twitter or weibo without even owning any social media account? If the ISU had a smarter and better social media manager, maybe they would treat Yuzu like the treasure he is instead of the fossil they want him to be. :mad:

Edit: BTW, thanks again to the mods for arranging the Yuzu Skating Party! Had such a great time and it felt good to do my part to boycott that sham of an awards show!

2 часа назад, rockstaryuzu сказал:

So, I wonder if JSF will be doing something different for their skaters, like adding some extra, senior-level competitions that are local to Japan. I mean, it's not just Yuzu who's an elite international skater: on the men's side they have Keiji, Shoma, Kazuki, Shun, Sota, Yuma  etc etc. The JNats men's roster read like a who's who. On the women's side is Rika, Kaori, Wakaba, Mai, Marin, and many more. (not including skaters currently known to be training abroad. (who could well return to Japan, who knows)). 

I don't know the exact rules, but Japan already has a number of regionals/sectionals which are selections for Nats (apart from top-3 from last Nats which are given spots), so without GPs most Japanese skaters will have local comps, as for top-3 from last Nats I think they also can take part if they want. So there will be no need for extra comps.

8 minutes ago, Lunna said:

I don't know the exact rules, but Japan already has a number of regionals/sectionals which are selections for Nats (apart from top-3 from last Nats which are given spots), so without GPs most Japanese skaters will have local comps, as for top-3 from last Nats I think they also can take part if they want. So there will be no need for extra comps.

No, I don't mean as selection for Nationals. I mean as the equivalent of Challenger series. 

11 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

No, I don't mean as selection for Nationals. I mean as the equivalent of Challenger series. 

Why not in common with China and South Korea by the way. Why not Australia too, to prepare 4CC in such special circumstances.

It could then be labelled International competitions by ISU (who need cash) allowing results to be used for 4CC and Worlds qualifications.

10 минут назад, rockstaryuzu сказал:

But I think that will require International judges? I just don't see the necessity of additional series if it will not have the status of international comp/will not give world standing points. Maybe you want separate series for top-athletes, but in Challengers there's usually 2-3 top-athletes at max, so you can't fill the comps only with top-level skaters, so I don't see how it will differ from selections.

7 минут назад, SitTwizzle сказал:

Why not in common with China and South Korea by the way. Why not Australia too, to prepare 4CC in such special circumstances.

It could then be labelled International competitions by ISU (who need cash) allowing results to be used for 4CC and Worlds qualifications.

Cuz of boarder crossing restrictions in the first place. Without these restrictions GPs without viewers will have more sense. Worlds qualifications are already decided on last year's spots and there's no qualifications for 4CC (3 spots for every country).

2 minutes ago, Lunna said:

Cuz of boarder crossing restrictions in the first place. Without these restrictions GPs without viewers will have more sense. Worlds qualifications are already decided on last year's spots and there's no qualifications for 4CC (3 spots for every country).

Which may be opened (with conditions) for athletes and teams from lesser affected countries. Not to speak of the diplomatic interest of it.

1 минуту назад, SitTwizzle сказал:

Which may be opened (with conditions) for athletes and teams from lesser affected countries. Not to speak of the diplomatic interest of it.

That might require too much work, all in all FS is not such a big sport, much easier is just to stick to local comps.

On 7/11/2020 at 6:34 PM, FlyingCamel said:

Another message in Japanese... not sure where it’s from but seems to be a different one from the ones before. He sounds so gentle here!! 

I think he was softly speaking cos his family were in bed?? 

do legal offices usually post about FS?:eeking:  Or is it all part of some evil fanyus' masterplan to spread hanyuism among their peers?:laughing:

Either way, amazing

question: should we add Heart arsonist to the Glossary?:giggle:

I've never added the Desk Calendar thing either and now it's hard to track back that episode: if I search desk calendar Hanyu I get... well, Yuzu's calendars LMAO

17 hours ago, sallycinnamon said:

The answer 😅

3CGNojz.jpg

both Roman and Kevin replied to that post <3  Roman is just so precious:10636614:

happier times indeed

14 hours ago, Fresca said:

This is why social media engagement is so important. This is how FS fans can take action to not let biased media/organizations like NBC and ISU with their own agenda write the narrative.

choosing when to speak out and when, instead, just ignore a bait is tough, but there are indeed things that can't just be ignored. Not to won an argument vs someone (that's never gonna happen, if deep prejudice is already ingrained) but to win over eventual third parties who are just starting into this world and still don't have an opinion in one sense or the other. People who, when confornted with calm, articulated arguments, might realize that things are different from what how they'd been painted at first

One thing that always impressed me (and still impresses me) is that Yuzu fans seem to have a penchant for questioning, learning, analysing and for bringing corroborating data whenever possible:biggrin:  (*)

You'd think such an inclination would be well-received, but alas, more often than note good ol' authority principle is used to shut down any meaningful discussion. And of course good ol' customs too, because if something has always been done a certain why it must mean it's good, right?

(*)Also lots of self-awareness

I mean, on twitter we spend like...half of the time calling each other out :tumblr_inline_mw5grieCFe1qid2nw:which can sometimes get really tiring but it's also good, to keep us rooted, to remind us there's not just one "right" way to see things.

Well, some things, at least:P

14 hours ago, Fresca said:

Yuzu is already a great ambassador for FS - phenomenally successful, gifted, classy, well-spoken, intelligent, philanthropic and an all-around lovely guy. He's also built for social media marketing. IMO, he is the most instagrammable, memeable, giffable, twitter/tumbler/YT-friendly star the ISU could possible ask for on a plate. Blessedly photogenic face so he looks good in close-ups (#nofilter). Wears beautiful costumes and tight fitting UA gear that highlights his lines. Unashamedly extra in practice (2s-1lo-4t anyone?). Does everything 120% so even warm up and cool down is beautiful. Has very distinctive habits and an interesting off-ice personality. Has a cuddly mascot. How many times has Yuzu gone randomly viral on twitter or weibo without even owning any social media account? If the ISU had a smarter and better social media manager, maybe they would treat Yuzu like the treasure he is instead of the fossil they want him to be. 

right???

It's mind-boggling that a sport feds has been literally blessed with the perfect spokeperson, a larger-than-life phenomenon, and they are just...so eager to kick him away?

It's not even about just "using" Yuzu for their purposes. They could do that while still keeping a façade of respect towards him... instead they use a token award to look smugly at us and say "look! We value him!" but, not even one moment after, they are already dumping on him again.

Just...be consistent? I get it, they are used to the average FS fan having short memory, but...they couldn't even leave Yuzu alone for 24h! :tumblr_inline_ncmiffG34Z1rpglid:

side note: looking at things like sponsorships and relationships betweeen sports orgs, media and managment companies makes me feel like a conspiracy theorist LOLsob

but it's not my fault, there are patterns everywhere:tumblr_inline_n2pjd1FzUP1qdlkyg:

9 hours ago, amylance1215 said:

Can someone please translate the Japanese and Chinese in this post? It looked like something amazing transpired here including comment or something from a Chinese prison??? Someone in the comment said Yuzu was accused of setting fire in everyone's heart? Well they ain't wrong there :rofl2:

I don't understand fully but I need to know!! Thank you in advance!

From what I found, the official Weibo account of a provincial prison of Sichuan (a huge province in southwestern China) posted news about Yuzu winning the MVP award. That shows this guy's impact in China.

3 hours ago, Lunna said:

But I think that will require International judges? I just don't see the necessity of additional series if it will not have the status of international comp/will not give world standing points. Maybe you want separate series for top-athletes, but in Challengers there's usually 2-3 top-athletes at max, so you can't fill the comps only with top-level skaters, so I don't see how it will differ from selections.

Well, if they don't send their skaters out, then how are those skaters going to get points and standing for the bigger international comps? Yes I mean that they could try and do something to compensate for not being able to send their athletes to Challengers. And frankly, the ISU needs to start thinking about ways to accommodate such situations, because Japan won't be the only country making this choice. Far better to send a couple of international judges to Japan than a whole team full of athletes all over the world. 

Also, the total number of skaters entered in a competition only matters if the judges are scoring the skaters relative one another (a la 6.0 system). If the judges are following the actual rulebook on scoring, there could be only one entrant in the whole competition and in theory the score would still be accurate, objective, and valid. That's how it's supposed to work. 

Of course we know it doesn't, but a satellite can dream...

2 hours ago, LadyLou said:

One thing that always impressed me (and still impresses me) is that Yuzu fans seem to have a penchant for questioning, learning, analysing and for bringing corroborating data whenever possible:biggrin:  (*)

That's because so many of us are in STEM careers...seriously, I was blown away by the company I was in in Kelowna...the only satellites I met who were not in STEM, healthcare, or academia worked in finance. Oh, and one is a lawyer :). We are smart people and it cannot be denied.