General Yuzuru Chat

4 hours ago, Ewa said:

If I may add something to that, and at the same time introduce myself a bit, because it's my first post here.  Thank you for accepting me, and thank you for the amazing job you do here <3 
I am a Polish scientist working in the US, and a science communicator as well. A few months ago I wanted to write an article for one popular science website, and the article was to be about epigenetics and asthma. I started from epigenetic modifications, went through asthma in athletes, especially ice skaters,  and ended up with not being able to take my eyes off countless  Yuzu's  wonderful videos and gorgeous pictures :) 

I know it's not such a fantastic thing as dedication one's thesis to Mr. Hanyu, but still - he inspires and amazes, even people like me who are not big fans of figure skating. 
(My article is here, if you'd like to take a look, but my apologies - it is in Polish. However, I believe that the most important thing in it, not to mention the most beautiful, is the photo of  the GOAT himself and a few words about him :) https://genetyka.bio/lod-chlod-i-astma/)

Welcome! the more, the merrier!  :nod2:

19 minutes ago, mercedes said:

welcome here,what an interesting way to discover Yuzuru!I'm about to read what you wrote thanks to google translator btw!

Henny I'm sending you a big hug and i'm keeping you and your family in my thoughts:hugs:

Thank you very much @mercedes :thanks:

2 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Welcome! the more, the merrier!  :nod2:

Absolutely! Thank you @rockstaryuzu :thanks:

4 hours ago, Ewa said:

If I may add something to that, and at the same time introduce myself a bit, because it's my first post here.  Thank you for accepting me, and thank you for the amazing job you do here <3 
I am a Polish scientist working in the US, and a science communicator as well. A few months ago I wanted to write an article for one popular science website, and the article was to be about epigenetics and asthma. I started from epigenetic modifications, went through asthma in athletes, especially ice skaters,  and ended up with not being able to take my eyes off countless  Yuzu's  wonderful videos and gorgeous pictures :) 

I know it's not such a fantastic thing as dedication one's thesis to Mr. Hanyu, but still - he inspires and amazes, even people like me who are not big fans of figure skating. 
(My article is here, if you'd like to take a look, but my apologies - it is in Polish. However, I believe that the most important thing in it, not to mention the most beautiful, is the photo of  the GOAT himself and a few words about him :) https://genetyka.bio/lod-chlod-i-astma/)

@Ewa  Welcome to the Planet!  Communicating science is critical - now, more than ever, in this time of pandemic - so kudos for  your valuable work!  I hope you will also have more opportunities to exercise your skills in communicating the "essence of Yuzu" to the lay population.  This Planet is a good platform for testing and getting feedback on these messages.   

@Henni147  My condolences and sympathies, and thank you for continuing to share beautiful thoughts through your pain...  

3 hours ago, Henni147 said:

Hi everyone. It’s been quite a while... The last weeks and months were very painful and difficult for me. My aunt passed away and now my grandfather and a very close friend from Cologne are fighting for their lives in hospital as well. I will probably need more time to process everything, but I’d like to share a recent discovery with you that truly made me smile.

I was reading a paragraph about the twelve Olympian Gods of the Greek mythology, when I suddenly realized how familiar the description of Apollo was... Here is a shortlist of the most striking details:

• Apollo is one of the twelve Olympian deities and the son of Zeus and Leto. He has a sister named Artemis.
  • The month of his birth varies among different cultures, but there is consensus that he was born on the seventh day of the month.
  • Apollo is seen as the most beautiful god and the ideal of kouros, the beardless, athletic youth. He is the most beloved and popular of all Olympian gods.
  • He is the god of archery and sport, music and dance, poetry and philosophy, truth and prophecy, healing and diseases, the sun and light.
  • He is the protector of the young leading them to adulthood, such as the protector of herds, crops and fields.
  • Apollo is the god of truth and foreseeing, his oracles were consulted before setting laws in a city.
  • The invention of string-music and archery is credited to Apollo, the latter also to his sister Artemis.
  • Apollo is the patron of sport and the laurel is his tree, the symbol of triumph and victory. He used his powers of eternal youth and immortality to render the laurel tree evergreen.
  • During the winter months he rides on the back of a swan to the land of the Hyperboreans. The absence of warmth in winter is due to his departure.
  • His most common and famous symbols are the lyre, bow and arrow, the swan, the python and the laurel wreath.

I can’t help, but the similarities with a certain Olympic hero are just too funny...

EDIT: I'd like to note that Apollo was not a throughout positive deity. He could bring diseases to the people and his actions in the Trojan War were anything but laudable. I also wouldn't dare to put Yuzu on par with a god. Yuzu is Yuzu, a very talented, hard-working athlete and wonderful human being.

ln9I4Rb.jpg

Source: https://imgur.com/a/ig0QxXh (edited myself)

I'm so sorry to hear that you are going through so much pain, My condolences on your aunt. I hope your grandfather and your friend recover fully and things improve. 

As for the Yuzu - Apollo comparison, very interesting! I find Greek mythology is interesting in that its gods are often depicted as behaving in very human (and sometimes inhumane) ways, in addition to having divine powers, with all that entails. Anyway, good catch on the similarities, it's a fun observation. 

Thank you very much everyone for your kind and supportive words. It really means a lot to me.

33 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

@Henni147 I have the greatest sympathy for you - I too have lost a close relative, not to Covid, but the COVID regulations are making the funeral very difficult to organise, and are making a hard situation almost impossible.  I hope your other family members make a swift and full recovery.

@Sombreuil my condolences to your loss as well. Yes, it was very difficult to organize the funeral and also for us to attend it, because we had to travel abroad. But thankfully we made it and got the chance to take farewell in person.

I strongly believe that after all the setbacks there will come better times now and we will overcome the hardships from the past months.

22 hours ago, LadyLou said:

side note: looking at things like sponsorships and relationships betweeen sports orgs, media and managment companies makes me feel like a conspiracy theorist LOLsob

but it's not my fault, there are patterns everywhere:tumblr_inline_n2pjd1FzUP1qdlkyg:

It's not just you. The organizational culture and power structures behind-the-scenes that enabled the judging fixing during the 2002 Salt Lake Games are still there. ISU may have changed the scoring system but they way the judges (and therefore whoever is behind the judges) use the scoring system to get the outcomes they want hasn't changed. You only need to take a look at the lack of changes in ISU leadership or structure. Ottavio Cinquanta was President from 1994-2016. Nobody from the top lost their job despite the scandal and change comes from the top. If you saw a scandal like that happen at any other company, the Board would demand an immediate resignation from the CEO. However, there isn't that accountability present in the ISU. The rot is still there.

19 hours ago, CiONTUw4A said:

Former world champion Chen Lu from China commenting on Yuzu's skating.

She is one of the six-member jury for the ISU MVP award.

"He is an athlete who always does his very best, pushing himself to the limit with no room to spare, to the point of being cruel to himself."

Great comment by Chen Lu on Yuzu and very true :smiley-sad021:

I've found, as a fan, if you choose to follow Yuzu, you have to make peace with this. At least this is how I've survived the last few years with his injuries. This is how a kid who knows no English and has never lived outside Sendai chooses to move to Canada. Why at the ripe old skating age of 25 with 2 OGM, he still challenges the 4A. His willingness to take risks is a big part of his climb to GOAT though there's a side of recklessness that comes when you have b@lls that size. I hate to admit it, but if he were saner, he would have r****** in 2018 like any other skater.

5 hours ago, sallycinnamon said:

"I think what Hanyu lacks is (romantic) love." Really, Coach Tsuzuki? Please tell us more!! :0014:

So cute and random for his former coach when he was a smol boy to make that comment! More than any interest in Yuzu's love life as that's his business, I'm curious why Coach Tsuzuki brought that up in the interview and what the context for that comment was. Does it have anything to do with skating?? Or maybe he wants to pass on some life wisdom to his former student??

EDIT: @Henni147  My condolences to you and your family as well.

13 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

Thank you very much everyone for your kind and supportive words. It really means a lot to me.

Yes, it was very difficult to organize the funeral and also for us to attend it, because we had to travel abroad. But thankfully we made it and got the chance to take farewell in person.

I strongly believe that after all the setbacks there will come better times now and we will overcome the hardships from the past months.

I'm so sorry for your loss, Henni. Praying that things will be better soon for your friend and grandfather <3 🙏

5 hours ago, sallycinnamon said:

Ec5gcrAVAAA_YtT?format=png&name=large

"I think what Hanyu lacks is (romantic) love"  :cri:  Waaaaaaa!! Yuzu deserves the joy (and pain - there is no Spring without Winter) of romantic love! I'm such a sap.....

I know the details of Yuzuru's private life is none of my business, and this is probably not universally true, but I do think there might be some validity to the view that without experiencing the depth of shared emotion characteristic of romantic love, an artist could be somewhat limited in the full expression of the range of human emotion (please discuss lol).  Maybe Yuzuru will have even more to give his adoring fans and supporters through his performances if/when he takes the risk of falling in love......we know how Yuzuru hates to be constrained by limits/limitations, and strives to go beyond them!

Anything for the benefit of his skating of course!

It will be interesting to see what Tsuzuki and Naoko Utsunomiya say about the matter in due course!

Note: this is a lighthearted musing only; I am certainly not suggesting what Yuzuru should or shouldn't do :)

19 minutes ago, Umebachi said:

@Ewa  Welcome to the Planet!  Communicating science is critical - now, more than ever, in this time of pandemic - so kudos for  your valuable work!  I hope you will also have more opportunities to exercise your skills in communicating the "essence of Yuzu" to the lay population.  This Planet is a good platform for testing and getting feedback on these messages.   

Thank you very much @Umebachi, that's very kind of you :thanks:

"I think what Hanyu lacks is (romantic) love" ----> Ice-chan begs to differ!

I mean yes, she's the tsundere-est of tsunderes, the cruelest of cruel angels, but there isn't a shadow of a doubt that Yuzu loves her dearly. Just go look at the hydroblade in Haru Yo Koi. 

ice-chan plays coy, but she loves him back. 

Joking apart, and without wanting to speculate about Yuzu's private life, I can't help but wonder what Coach Tsuzuki meant.  I can think of a few interpretations, the most obvious being that he's saying Yuzu has never fallen 'in love'. 

5 hours ago, Henni147 said:

Hi everyone. It’s been quite a while... The last weeks and months were very painful and difficult for me. My aunt passed away and now my grandfather and a very close friend from Cologne are fighting for their lives in hospital as well. I will probably need more time to process everything, but I’d like to share a recent discovery with you that truly made me smile.

I was reading a paragraph about the twelve Olympian Gods of the Greek mythology, when I suddenly realized how familiar the description of Apollo was... Here is a shortlist of the most striking details:

• Apollo is one of the twelve Olympian deities and the son of Zeus and Leto. He has a sister named Artemis.
  • The month of his birth varies among different cultures, but there is consensus that he was born on the seventh day of the month.
  • Apollo is seen as the most beautiful god and the ideal of kouros, the beardless, athletic youth. He is the most beloved and popular of all Olympian gods.
  • He is the god of archery and sport, music and dance, poetry and philosophy, truth and prophecy, healing and diseases, the sun and light.
  • He is the protector of the young leading them to adulthood, such as the protector of herds, crops and fields.
  • Apollo is the god of truth and foreseeing, his oracles were consulted before setting laws in a city.
  • The invention of string-music and archery is credited to Apollo, the latter also to his sister Artemis.
  • Apollo is the patron of sport and the laurel is his tree, the symbol of triumph and victory. He used his powers of eternal youth and immortality to render the laurel tree evergreen.
  • During the winter months he rides on the back of a swan to the land of the Hyperboreans. The absence of warmth in winter is due to his departure.
  • His most common and famous symbols are the lyre, bow and arrow, the swan, the python and the laurel wreath.

I can’t help, but the similarities with a certain Olympic hero are just too funny...

EDIT: I'd like to note that Apollo was not a throughout positive deity. He could bring diseases to the people and his actions in the Trojan War were anything but laudable. I also wouldn't dare to put Yuzu on par with a god. Yuzu is Yuzu, a very talented, hard-working athlete and wonderful human being.

ln9I4Rb.jpg

Source: https://imgur.com/a/ig0QxXh (edited myself)

Dear Henno, my deepest condolences, and hopes and thoughts for the rest of your loved onces - and those of everyone here - to be safe and recover from this awful time.

1 hour ago, Geo1 said:

Yuzu has often said that he has sacrificed a lot for his skating and maybe love is one of them.

Certainly he has sacrificed having a lot of intimate relationships.  But that isn't at all uncommon for someone with a singular passion.  And not just confined to elite sports.  I know too many brilliant scientists who never took the time, in college and graduate school, to date or do anything  not related to their research.  For most of them, learning to communicate with another on a personal level was so foreign to them that even adult "regular" dating and relationships was too difficult to ever engage in.  Yuzu has known love.  He is well loved by his family. He has seen it.  He knows what it is.  And, I expect, when his competitive career is a ways behind him, he will have no trouble at all connecting with someone special.