General Yuzuru Chat

13 hours ago, leona said:

Yuzu is a cat that moves like a bird and everyone calls a GOAT -pum dum taz😏 -

EDIT: Well, actually the list is longer: Yuzuru Hanyu...

... is a cat with nine lives

... that looks like a swan

... occasionally dressed like a jellyfish

... but flies like an eagle

... jumps like a stag

... and spins like a flattie spider

... with the brain of an elephant

... and the neck of a giraffe

... aging with the speed of a tortoise

... loving a bear named Winnie the Pooh

... having a soft spot for bees

... and being considered as the GOAT of figure skating.

I think, it's legit to call him YuZOOru Hanyu.

On 7/29/2020 at 7:57 AM, Geo1 said:

Now, even wine (2019 Domaine Roy & Fils Yamhill-Carlton Rosé) is being compared to Yuzuru Hanyu.

https://www.oregonlive.com/wine/2020/07/beat-summer-heat-with-an-icy-swimming-pool-of-rose.html

"I'll likely take some heat for putting ice cubes in this profoundly elegant pinot noir, but it performed so well on the rocks. Aromas of violets, grape popsicles and wild strawberries mix with a touch of black pepper spice. Flavors of orange peel and nectarines skate on brisk acidity. This is the best performer on ice since Yuzuru Hanyu."

This morning I was surprised to see a Google Alert regarding another article (dated January 30, 2021) by the same reporter, Michael Alberty, again using Yuzu's skating as a superlative way to describe a Pinot Noir:

"6 Oregon Pinot Noirs that stand out in a crowd

"Flavors of bittersweet dark chocolate and wild strawberries positively glide over taste buds like Yuzuru Hanyu on open ice. The Ansel makes it way too..."

Unfortunately, you cannot read the article unless you are a subscriber to the Oregonian/oregonlive.com, but the relevant portion of the article was reproduced in the Google Alert (quoted above).

https://www.oregonlive.com/wine/2021/01/6-oregon-pinot-noirs-that-stand-out-in-a-crowd.html

I am tempted to contact Michael Alberty to find out whether he is a Fanyu. The first article in July was about rosé wines on ice and so made some sense to connect it to Yuzu and may be dismissed as a one-off, but this article is about Pinot Noir wines with nothing to do with ice and may be indicative of an all too familiar obsession...

2 hours ago, Geo1 said:

This morning I was surprised to see a Google Alert regarding another article (dated January 30, 2021) by the same reporter, Michael Alberty, again using Yuzu's skating as a superlative way to describe a Pinot Noir:

"6 Oregon Pinot Noirs that stand out in a crowd

"Flavors of bittersweet dark chocolate and wild strawberries positively glide over taste buds like Yuzuru Hanyu on open ice. The Ansel makes it way too..."

Unfortunately, you cannot read the article unless you are a subscriber to the Oregonian/oregonlive.com, but the relevant portion of the article was reproduced in the Google Alert (quoted above).

https://www.oregonlive.com/wine/2021/01/6-oregon-pinot-noirs-that-stand-out-in-a-crowd.html

I am tempted to contact Michael Alberty to find out whether he is a Fanyu. The first article in July was about rosé wines on ice and so made some sense to connect it to Yuzu and may be dismissed as a one-off, but this article is about Pinot Noir wines with nothing to do with ice and may be indicative of an all too familiar obsession...

I was able somehow to access the full article. Here's the section about just that wine. :D 

2018 Ansel Willamette Valley Pinot Noir

This wine has a secret.

I can tell you it is made by Graham Markel of Buona Notte Wines and experienced wine hand Jeremy Byrd. I can tell you they purchased barrels of pinot noir from a handful of well-known Willamette Valley wineries to make the Ansel. I can’t, however, tell you which wineries as Markel and Byrd are sworn to secrecy.

I discovered the excellent Ansel at Avalon Wine in Northeast Portland for $21.95. It smells like cherries and carnations, with a whiff of a grape popsicle in the background. Flavors of bittersweet dark chocolate and wild strawberries positively glide over taste buds like Yuzuru Hanyu on open ice.

The Ansel makes it way too easy to pour a second glass. If you do, make sure something from The Bar-Kays is on the turntable.