General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, micaelis said:

I have often wondered regarding both Nanami and Brian (and other TCC staff) whether they had any inkling early on the heights Yuzu would all too soon be scaling.  Brian, in an early interview, said he knew Yuzu had talent but it was a talent that needed discipline (thus sending him back to skating kindergarten dealing with basic skills), but did he know that he was training a skater who would define an era and become a living legend and without doubt the most popular and celebrated skater in history?  I have a feeling that even his own ideas of how great Yuzu was were completely overwhelmed at the GPF 2015 when Yuzu proceeded to break the three records (SP, FS and combined) that he had set just two weeks previously.  Just look at the expression on his face (and also Yuzu's tears, a sure sign when he is being overwhelmed by emotion - it's happened several times).  Brian's expression is one of sheer amazement.  I think that certainly then, if not earlier, Brian would have realized that he was dealing with a skater for the ages.

I think he gave a hint some day, about his surprise when he learnt his future pupil would be him. His only reserve after all was his age, and would a teenager comply with the exercises he would give him. Since then Brian Orser accepted younger pupils so I'd guess he found the experience positive. :wink2: (Plus of course, he asked leave to Javier Fernández.)

As to Tracy Wilson, her comments to his Worlds 2012 free skating stand for themselves. She knew it, and she said it aloud.

And after all, even if his skating skills, his stamina... have improved so much since, his was a program of legend, I mean, one of the great moments in figure skating to the date. And not only in figure skating, methinks. Because, speaking of Shakespeare, I have never seen any other convincing Romeo — I simply thought it was an impossible part. And he was skating, not only acting! And what skating!

1 hour ago, micaelis said:

I have often wondered regarding both Nanami and Brian (and other TCC staff) whether they had any inkling early on the heights Yuzu would all too soon be scaling.  Brian, in an early interview, said he knew Yuzu had talent but it was a talent that needed discipline (thus sending him back to skating kindergarten dealing with basic skills), but did he know that he was training a skater who would define an era and become a living legend and without doubt the most popular and celebrated skater in history?  I have a feeling that even his own ideas of how great Yuzu was were completely overwhelmed at the GPF 2015 when Yuzu proceeded to break the three records (SP, FS and combined) that he had set just two weeks previously.  Just look at the expression on his face (and also Yuzu's tears, a sure sign when he is being overwhelmed by emotion - it's happened several times).  Brian's expression is one of sheer amazement.  I think that certainly then, if not earlier, Brian would have realized that he was dealing with a skater for the ages.

I think Brian knew.  Maybe he didn't imagine quite the impact Yuzu has had on the sport and in the world.  But I feel that he saw something very special in the young skater.  Of course his expressiveness and interpretation have always been extraordinary, but I bet that once Brian had him at TCC and saw the determination and work ethic, he knew, at least, the Yuzu could do what others had not.  He needed discipline and the sort of coaching that TCC has to offer, but there had to be no question that, very early on, he knew he was working with the best.  He just needed to train him and support him through his injuries and illnesses.  He is both a proud papa and an exceptional coach (along with Ghislain and Tracy).  I also believe that the presence and influence of Javi cannot be understated.

1 hour ago, barbara said:

I think Brian knew.  Maybe he didn't imagine quite the impact Yuzu has had on the sport and in the world.  But I feel that he saw something very special in the young skater.  Of course his expressiveness and interpretation have always been extraordinary, but I bet that once Brian had him at TCC and saw the determination and work ethic, he knew, at least, the Yuzu could do what others had not.  He needed discipline and the sort of coaching that TCC has to offer, but there had to be no question that, very early on, he knew he was working with the best.  He just needed to train him and support him through his injuries and illnesses.  He is both a proud papa and an exceptional coach (along with Ghislain and Tracy).  I also believe that the presence and influence of Javi cannot be understated.

I completely agree! Javi and Yuzu have such different personalities, skating styles and a respectful way to see others that they probably motivated each other the best. Imagine being the only person on ice doing quads and triple axels, versus having someone next to you day by day doing the same and beautifully! That alone will make even the most tedious exercises worth doing.

Yuzu has helped so many people, many of which he never even met before. I’m honestly a fan of figure skating in general, I love the sport itself as a beautiful combination of art and athleticism, and there are many other skaters that I love besides Yuzu. Yet Yuzu stands out the most, no other skater is like him. Despite how much I love the sport and the skaters, the politics and the questionable judging always upsets me but Yuzu’s skating and Yuzu as a person always seems like a pure light amidst all the not-so-beautiful things. I think he knows too, that his skating has helped so many people <3  

Maybe I’m getting a bit off-topic here but I wanted to share my own story too so:

Spoiler

Before becoming a fan of Yuzu I wasn’t in a very good place too. I’ve always had really low self-esteem, partially because of my innate personality and partially because of the way I was brought up. It was so bad to the point that anyone could just imply that I will never be good enough and will never achieve what I want and I would believe them and give up on my goals. I wish I discovered him earlier, and maybe my early teenage years would have been so different, maybe I would have had the courage to chase my dreams and ignore all the negative comments. But better late than never!! I’m generally a much more confident and resilient person since I started following Yuzu <3 

17 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Funny thing is, Nebelhorn still doesn't get the crowds, at least as far as I can tell from videos.

Yes, it's really sad.

Unfortunately we have almost no platform for figure skating in Germany. In the past, at least highlights and the Gala were broadcast on TV,

but even that stopped some years ago. If I remember correctly, even during Olympics FS was only/mostly shown in the stream and not on TV..........

2019 Worlds were shown in full on TV for the first time in ages, I think because of the Olympic gold medal and some "promi-figure-skating-show".

I really hope that they will continue to broadcast it but I have my doubts and so FS will disappear from the public eye again and with that a possible interest in the Nebelhorn Trophy.

A US pairs team skating to the Seimei music haha

Hmm, according to this tweet it looks like a CitizenXYuzu watch will be released midnight September 30? Price is 6880 yuan.

Google translate says the watches will be sold on a first come first serve basis, 1207 watches and the theme will be “startled swan” (it’s one of the poetic terms chinese commentators used to describe Yuzu, hard to translate to english without it sounding weird)

So far the purchase link is only up on Taobao (a Chinese online shopping website, I think to buy from there if you aren’t in China you need to have an agent or something? Anyway Citizen hasn’t announced in one their Weibo account as far as I am aware, it’s just this link that’s up on Taobao... But maybe they will post it soon, I’ll check! 

Not very sure what these are, but I’m guessing they are sample pics from the new Yuzu quotes book? 

On 9/22/2020 at 9:22 PM, sallycinnamon said:

Etude from Nebelhorn 2011 <3 

This will forever be one of my favorite programs of his, it's such a heartwrenchingly passionate program. I just have to say as well, that triple axel is huge :0  It's always been such a beauty, and the sheer powerful ease he exudes every time he jumps it? *chefs kiss* 

His showing of R&J1 from this competition is also a fun watch! 

5 hours ago, FlyingCamel said:

A US pairs team skating to the Seimei music haha

Hmm, according to this tweet it looks like a CitizenXYuzu watch will be released midnight September 30? Price is 6880 yuan.

Google translate says the watches will be sold on a first come first serve basis, 1207 watches and the theme will be “startled swan” (it’s one of the poetic terms chinese commentators used to describe Yuzu, hard to translate to english without it sounding weird)

So far the purchase link is only up on Taobao (a Chinese online shopping website, I think to buy from there if you aren’t in China you need to have an agent or something? Anyway Citizen hasn’t announced in one their Weibo account as far as I am aware, it’s just this link that’s up on Taobao... But maybe they will post it soon, I’ll check! 

Not very sure what these are, but I’m guessing they are sample pics from the new Yuzu quotes book? 

Regarding the Citizen Yuzuru Hanyu collaboration watch sale, the price per watch is 6880 yuan and it appears to be a limited edition with a total of 1207 watches for sale. To put it into perspective and to see another example of Hanyuconomy at work, I did some calculations and this limited run will generate gross sales amounting to the following:

6880 yuan × 1207 watches = 8,304,160 yuan

Which converts to:

$1,216,000 USD
$1,630,000 CAD
€1,044,275
¥128,250,000

Edit: To put this into further perspective and to understand Yuzu's selling power, limited edition Citizen watches without Yuzu's endorsement are available months and years after they are introduced to the market. All Citizen watches connected with Yuzu sell out as soon as they are put on sale and bring immediate profit to Citizen.

The tragic state of FS and the endless absence of Yuzu in competition suddenly make me wonder if his skating is ever f*cking real or just a 3D product like Hatsune Miku to lure me into this sport :smiley_hairpull::smiley_hairpull::smiley_hairpull:

Like the reality of this sport has fucked my mind up so much that smt perfect like his skating shouldn't exist there :knc_brian3:

2 hours ago, monchan said:

The tragic state of FS and the endless absence of Yuzu in competition suddenly make me wonder if his skating is ever f*cking real or just a 3D product like Hatsune Miku to lure me into this sport :smiley_hairpull::smiley_hairpull::smiley_hairpull:

Like the reality of this sport has fucked my mind up so much that smt perfect like his skating shouldn't exist there :knc_brian3:

If he's not real, though, then who is that guy in all the blurry photos and videos in my phone camera reel?