General Yuzuru Chat

Hace 2 horas, Glory said:

Ahh! He was just on Google's commercial during the new year rocking eve!! Doing a jump in his origin program! I'm so happy!!! Calling him a super hero that can fly! Here in the USA of all places!! 

OMG!!!! YESSSSS!!!!!! Is what he deserves!! :nod2:

Hace 1 hora, Veveco said:

Happy new year indeed! This reaction is all of us :yes2::lol:

ETA:

:LOL: I love it!!!! And good morning everyone here in Europe!! What a wonderful way to start the year with our super hero that can fly!!!! 💖💖💖💖

2 hours ago, CiONTUw4A said:

Yuzuru Hanyu: A decade in review. 

https://t.co/rxNJEwAtEw?amp=1

Why am I crying?

Seriously, it must have been such an amazing and wonderful journey for satellites to go through the rollercoaster rides with him with confidence and love in the decade, knowing that he was going to be the shinning one and is shinning...  And so will continue to shine and fly high... gracefully...

:softYuzu:

Happy New Year everyone!!!

I've finally managed to catch up with the thread after my long weekend in Madrid. Seems a lot of things have been discussed while I was away and while I'm tempted to ramble on about some of them, maybe I shouldn't lol

Though, because I can't help it, some rambles under spoilers, after all

Spoiler

I just want to say that ROI was an incredible experience and all the skaters are such wonderfully friendly people. I spent quite some time chatting with Jeff and he's possibly my new favorite person in the world lol It wasn't anything super special or so, just talking like regular people. It made me wonder a bit how much of that Yuzu gets to do. Like, Jeff is a World Champion and Olympic Medalist, but we basically ended up chitchatting about dogs lol I wonder if Yuzu gets to chitchat much about random stuff...

Anyway, one thing that I realized, especially after just watching bits of yesterday's broadcast of the show, is that while all the skaters are so amazing and talented and their performances are such a joy and a privilege to watch - and Jeff made me cry both nights and again this morning; and you can see he was crying, too, while skating - I realized this morning that despite all that, and without taking anything away from those beautiful performances, none of them, and in fact I think no other skaters I've ever seen, ever pours as much of himself, of his passion, never bares his/her soul on the ice as much as Yuzu does. His passion and his emotions are just so painfully obvious pretty much every time he skates. I've seen many beautiful performances and I've cried at many. But I still never felt any skater as raw on the ice as Yuzu is most of the time. Maybe that's why we all come to love him so much. He truly puts all of himself out there. And I'm not sure how many people - fans and maybe especially non-fans - understand how brave that is, how much courage and strength it takes to do that.

And that applies to his painful openness this season, too. He's been so honest about his struggles, his pains, his hardships, his feelings. Yes, it's painful to hear, but if he has the courage to bare his soul like that, I feel like, as his fan, it is my responsibility to accept those feelings, to acknowledge them. It's hard to explain but... it's like someone showing you their scars and instead of wincing and looking away, you look at the scars and acknowledge all the pain related to them and what it must feel like to live with those scars. I was also reading another Javi interview and some of the things he says, that he said are part of what made him decide to retire, I think are things Yuzu is probably going through now, too. But he and Javi have different attitudes, so I suspect Yuzu will just continue working harder until he simply can't anymore.

I know many people were scared by that candle burning and Ashita no Joe interview, but that was definitely not my reaction when I first watched it. He was obviously tired. Obviously depressed. Of course he would be. And yes, his career is nearing the end, he's been a senior for 10 years, it's only natural. I just don't think it's quite as close as some fear. And I'm honestly more worried about his retirement in terms of what it'll do to him, because Yuzu lives for competition and I think he will likely be very lost when he'll have to call it a day. As for the Ashita no Joe reference... he always gives everything anyway. I suspect the day he retires will be the day when he will feel there is nothing more he can give to competition ice. It doesn't have to be literal.

Anyway, sorry for bringing back the sad topics. I think Yuzu this season is stronger than ever. Regarding the stamina discussions earlier, I agree with those that said his stamina is better than ever. I just re-watched SCI FS and he wasn't winded at all after that. He does need to work on stamina for 5 quads FS. He does need to work on stamina just to land 4A, according to his own statements. He does need to work on stamina for 5 quads FS with 4A. Of course he does. But he's in a much better place to do that than he's ever been. And he's apparently already back in Toronto, so he means business. He's determined and he will do his best. And we'll cheer him on and take things as they come.

Either way, Yuzu is already a legend. Everything else is just a bonus!

Here's to a wonderful 2020 with many joyful moments, successes, dreams coming true for everyone and hopefully many more peaceful and happy times among fans than in previous times!

Oh also, I'm now also contemplating going to Worlds, though I still haven't 100% decided yet... :headdesk2:

Happy New Year!

It's been ages since I've posted anything here, but if anyone wants to read a translation of the page in the Sponichi paper today where Yuzu wrote a message in support of the Olympic and Paralympic athletes, I uploaded pictures and my translation here. The writer(editor?) included an article-poem to accompany Yuzu's message, so I also went ahead and translated that as well. It's pretty short, so I figure there are people on Twitter who have already gotten around to it, but it doesn't hurt to have multiple translations.

Here's hoping for a wonderful and healthy year (decade!) for Yuzu. May all his goals be realized and may he have many happy reasons to smile.

25 minutes ago, lazuliblade said:

Happy New Year!

It's been ages since I've posted anything here, but if anyone wants to read a translation of the page in the Sponichi paper today where Yuzu wrote a message in support of the Olympic and Paralympic athletes, I uploaded pictures and my translation here. The writer(editor?) included an article-poem to accompany Yuzu's message, so I also went ahead and translated that as well. It's pretty short, so I figure there are people on Twitter who have already gotten around to it, but it doesn't hurt to have multiple translations.

Here's hoping for a wonderful and healthy year (decade!) for Yuzu. May all his goals be realized and may he have many happy reasons to smile.

I loved seeing the thought and working out you put into this translation, thank you! I really like to hear properly what Yuzuru says and means; Japanese seems such a poetic and nuanced language, The explanations by translators are invaluable!

HAPPY NEW YEAR AND DECADE everyone! May it be good to us, and to Yuzuru! 

43 minutes ago, Fay said:

Everyone has cottoned on to how they have to get everyone’s clicks... 

My personal theory is that at least 80% of figure skating artists who aren't straight up fanartists are actually fanyus who draw other skaters as well. And who can blame them, if I was any good at art I would be drawing Yuzu-moments all the time.

He just gives you all these moments that need to be immortalised by just being who he is, such an extra icon.

1 hour ago, Fay said:

Everyone has cottoned on to how they have to get everyone’s clicks... 

But SFS has been drawing Yuzu fanarts right from the start, would you really call that cottoning though?

Either way I definitely enjoy it whenever a Yuzu fan art is drawn in a positive, complimentary way towards him ...as opposed to, you know, a certain *mangaka* who drew Yuzu in a way that, in some context, turned out to be less than sincere and unflattering to him 😒