General Yuzuru Chat

11 minutes ago, senemgencer said:

Nathan is like Adele: technically very strong, a great performer, fun to watch, lots to appreciate. 

Yuzuru is Amy Winehouse and Beyonce combined: you think of what he has been through, so he moves you when he skates in a way noone can, but he also has this star element. You can't take our eyes off of him. You may not like him, but you can never ignore him. He owns the crowds. 

Unfortunately, there is no crowd to cheer him at this world championship :weeping:

1 hour ago, senemgencer said:

Nathan is like Adele: technically very strong, a great performer, fun to watch, lots to appreciate. 

Yuzuru is Amy Winehouse and Beyonce combined: you think of what he has been through, so he moves you when he skates in a way noone can, but he also has this star element. You can't take our eyes off of him. You may not like him, but you can never ignore him. He owns the crowds. 

Who could not like him?  He's brilliant and generous.  What's not to like?

11 hours ago, LAY said:

I think ANA has cancelled its direct flight to Stockholm 😢

ANA has probably cancelled direct flights to lots of places over the past year (as have most major airlines) but I am hoping they make some sort of accommodation for Worlds - for Yuzu and all the other skaters flying from Japan.  Having to switch flights in different airports would just add exhaustion and the chance of being exposed to the virus.  ANA has a special relationship with Yuzu and I hope they do this for him.

16 hours ago, lynnidolz said:

I just went to check on ISU twitter and was shocked to find almost all of their posts are about NC.They even had a post about his best costumes.I'm like what is happening here?Is this usfs twitter ?I know that judges always overscored him but atleast they always post about Yuzu especially nearing any competitions because he brings a lot of views and hits.But the pr for NC for this Worlds is so much.I understand if its from US media but from ISU media itself..its like they did n't care to hide their bias anymore.My theory is that their hoping by doing this excessive promo for him people will view him as the new figure skaters stars after Yuzuru retired.However i dont think they will achieve that..Even the russian ladies are more famous than him.Sorry if this inappropriate in this thread its just im so surprised how they are trying so hard to erased Yuzuru..not only during competition but in social media also

I thought they were just being lazy and reposting USFS stuff. 

I just talked about Worlds with my mom. We both can't believe that a +320 score doesn't put any pressure on the other skaters. Yes, Nate had some clean skates over the last years, but Yuzu opened the door for him with big mistakes in both programs.

Yes, the scoring and blatant PR is unfair as hell, but most of us also thought, they would give Nate the MVS award. In the end it didn't happen.

I made a quick calculation what Yuzu's score for two clean skates with JNats layout could be like in absolute worst case:

• In the GOE column I added the factored GOE from Ayako Shimode, the judge who criminally underscored TenChi. Interestingly she gave better marks to LMEY than the average of the panel (that says a lot about the panel from JNats...)
  • I also highlighted the elements, where he lost levels and the most points at JNats. I refuse to believe that any international panel would score Yuzu significantly lower than JNats panel did, especially in the free.
  • What I did not consider is the freedom of the tech panel to shower him with phantom UR calls and low levels. That can butcher the final score much harder than strict GOE scoring. But I just try to say to myself that the panels learned their lessons from ACI 2019 and JNats 2020. You must not mess with Yuzuru Hanyu, when it comes to rotation.
  • Thankfully, without Lutzes and Flips it's impossible for the panel to give him edge-calls :xD:

In best case (with lucky starting order, a friendly panel and some crazy twist and turn during the competition) he may get something around 333 in total (111 in SP, 222 in FS). That still would be 14 points lower than the maximum score. I think that's realistic.

9yHW56b.png

@Henni147 For the 4A I'm not sure, but otherwise I do think too he won't do any toe-assisted jump in his free skate.

This being said, I would not be surprised should he upgrade his 4S in his short program. His 4S are perfect but his 4Lo too, and it's 0.8 more base value.

Also, about quad-double combinations, I don't find them so unattractive with Ladies (I think of Rika Kihira, who by the way may upgrade to 4S-3T). And have there been examples of quads followed by double loops? The inherent feeling of ascension in the latter jump may allow harmony in such a combo?

@rockstaryuzu The Nathan Chen saturation on ISU twitter may also be an Ari Zacharian folly. May he have bet on a victory from this skater? Maybe I'm going too far.

I'm a bit of 2 minds about the ARD stream. On the one hand I don't want to give the ISU official viewership, On the other hand I do like the commentator and Aljona will be co-commenting on pairs as will Carolina Kostner on Ladies. except for practices they are streaming everything and we had such a long time with barely if any skating shown by the big broadcasters so I want to show the ARD that there is an audience for figure skating here in germany...

About 4S vs 4Lo, he did get a higher GOE for the 4S at JNats compared to the 4Lo (I was so mad coz his 4Lo there was perfect).  So I am not sure if it’s worth the risk to put 4Lo in the short, given the last 2 times he faced Nathan, it was the fact that Yuzu messed up the SP which basically closed the door on Yuzu’s chances....

On 3/18/2021 at 8:48 PM, CiONTUw4A said:

I believe NC will retire after 2022 Beijing Olympics. Unlike Yuzu who devotes his whole being to figure skating, NC doesn't strike me as someone fully dedicated to the sport.

Hasn’t he said as much? He wants to get his medical degree. Before he even gets to apply to medical school, he has to complete his four years of undergraduate. How far along is he at Yale? I thought that he has been taking a break from his studies in order to work exclusively on his skating in order to prepare for Worlds and the Olympics.

18 minutes ago, Geo1 said:

Hasn’t he said as much? He wants to get his medical degree. Before he even gets to apply to medical school, he has to complete his four years of undergraduate. How far along is he at Yale? I thought that he has been taking a break from his studies in order to work exclusively on his skating in order to prepare for Worlds and the Olympics.

I gathered he nearly changed his mind about the medical degree and was studying statistics now.