General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, Kat said:

Ya know...I agree with this to an extent. Full disclosure, I LIKE Nathan Chen. But when Yuzuru retires Nathan does not and will not have the same draw. Yuzuru is full package. Nathan is not. Maybe someday he will get better with artistry (Nathan), but he isnt there now and he doesnt have the same pull for me that Yuzuru does.

Artistry is hard. Some have an ear for music and incorporating it, others have to learn it.  The fact Yuzuru makes it seem so easy is a testament to it's difficulty. I think for some it's an innate gift. So when Yuzuru retires....it really is going to be so difficult. They can media play all they want, they cannot replace or artificially create and pull in the crowds Yuzuru has.

Now, none of this is a bash against Nathan, I do enjoy watching him skate, but it isnt the same.

Yuzu has the “IT FACTOR”. No one else does.

1 hour ago, Kat said:

Ya know...I agree with this to an extent. Full disclosure, I LIKE Nathan Chen. But when Yuzuru retires Nathan does not and will not have the same draw. Yuzuru is full package. Nathan is not. Maybe someday he will get better with artistry (Nathan), but he isnt there now and he doesnt have the same pull for me that Yuzuru does.

Artistry is hard. Some have an ear for music and incorporating it, others have to learn it.  The fact Yuzuru makes it seem so easy is a testament to it's difficulty. I think for some it's an innate gift. So when Yuzuru retires....it really is going to be so difficult. They can media play all they want, they cannot replace or artificially create and pull in the crowds Yuzuru has.

Now, none of this is a bash against Nathan, I do enjoy watching him skate, but it isnt the same.

I believe NC will retire after 2022 Beijing Olympics. Unlike Yuzu who devotes his whole being to figure skating, NC doesn't strike me as someone fully dedicated to the sport.

11 時間前, Geo1さんが言いました:

Yuzu has the “IT FACTOR”. No one else does.

The raw emotion that Yuzu shows in his skating is what makes him special to me. Even when I watch 2012 WC R&J, where he was not as polished as he is today and the jumps were not all +3 level, I am moved by it. His pure love for skating is obvious. 

8 hours ago, CiONTUw4A said:

I believe NC will retire after 2022 Beijing Olympics. Unlike Yuzu who devotes his whole being to figure skating, NC doesn't strike me as someone fully dedicated to the sport.

Possibly, and if so there is nothing wrong with that. Life is short, so I'm all for someone doing what they love. 

15 hours ago, makebelieveup said:

A layout I would like to see him attempt but probably will never happen

4Loop

4Lutz 

3A3T (please get rid of counter entry it aint worth it)

twizzle 3A twizzle

4T2T

4Teuler3F  or 4T eul 3S

4A

I shared my opinion on this topic on Tw already, but I'd like to go a bit more into detail:

1. First and foremost: I bet my salary that Yuzu's absolute top priority next week will be not to get COVID, not to get injured and to save the third spot for the Olympics. I don't know, if he has access to physio therapy already, but heaven forbid that he gets injured again :grouphug:

2. I am sure that Yuzu has learned his lessons from Torino and the past two seasons. It's pointless to violently up your BV and mess up the whole concept and choreo of the program just for the sake of points. What has he won with backloading the combo in Otonal? What has he won with attacking 5 quads in Origin? It killed the music cut, the choreo, the timing and rhythm of the jumps, it sucked out his energy resources and he ended up with more mistakes and less points than before.

3. Sometimes a seemingly lower BV can do miracles to the quality of your program and consistency of your jumps. So it happened with TenChi at JNats and it was glorious. And we all know that absolutely NOTHING is more important in the current system than a clean skate (and the right passport of course). It saves you from the PCS cap and the GOE are much higher than in an error-filled program. Yuzu's last clean free in an international competition was four years ago in Helsinki 2017. He damn needs a clean one again and such a suicidal layout is not exactly the key to accomplish that.

4. Also, I love TenChi in its current form, because it is as airy and effortless as I've never seen any other freeskate before in my life. How is it possible for a human being to fly like this? As if he was riding on a wave across the ocean or floating on a high cloud in the sky. Just otherworldly.
    The timing and rhythm of every jump is so perfectly in tune with the music and we know how essential this is for Yuzu to skate well. He said himself that edge jumps are lighter, smoother and have much better flow than the hard, aggressive toe jumps. Hence they fit the choreo and character of TenChi much better. (I really think a 4Lz would kill the flow of this program.)

5. Last but not least: I have the feeling that Yuzu wants to share this unique and special moment of conquering the quad Axel with his fans and the people he loves and cares most about. The 4A is not just some strategical weapon for him. It's his dream, the main reason why he continued after PC and skated another three torturing seasons. I just cannot believe that he wants to present Nessie in front of empty seats with no response, with only those ungrateful judges in front of him. He deserves to be cheered and celebrated for that incredible feat. :softYuzu:

EDIT:

For me, personally, 4-2 combos are the ugliest jumps in figure skating history. It looks like the skater comes to a full stop after the quad and pops the next jump. The momentum and flow is completely gone.

The current 4T+3T in the second half is so powerful and the back-counter is his trade mark. Perfection and quality is always worth the effort, I don't want him to change that attitude. It just wouldn't be Yuzu anymore. We have so many other BV hunters in the field already, please let Yuzu stay the artist and balanced full package skater that he is. That's why we love him so much (me at least).

Nathan is like Adele: technically very strong, a great performer, fun to watch, lots to appreciate. 

Yuzuru is Amy Winehouse and Beyonce combined: you think of what he has been through, so he moves you when he skates in a way noone can, but he also has this star element. You can't take our eyes off of him. You may not like him, but you can never ignore him. He owns the crowds.