On 12/2/2018 at 1:20 AM, ralucutzagy said:

Thank you for sharing! The interview linked from the original tweet was short but substantial. The talk about Madison's injury and how they coped with it was interesting. I like the interviewer too. Is it because he is a journalist working for a Detroit-based media that he seems to know well about figure skating or ice dancing? Anyway, happy to hear that they are coming back!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This article was recommended to me by google, cz I read/watch too much FS probably.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/25/sports/gracie-gold-figure-skating-.html

It gives slightly more details re: Gold's struggles. 

True to US media general unawareness of where they actually place in the international standing, tho... 

"Gold appeared to be a gold medal favorite in figure skating for the 2018 Winter Games"

Was she really? I mean, medal hopeful before the bombing in WC '16, sure. But 'gold' medal hopeful?

These kind of hype contribute to their athletes struggles with mental health. When.will.they.learn.

I sure hope Gold can recover well, and live happy and healthy again.

43 minutes ago, ICeleste said:

It isn't only a about yesterday's comments though. I still remember all that Johnny has been saying since the 2016-2017 season. For me personally yesterday's comments were the final straw.
Of course Johnny is entitled to his opinion but what I don't like is how two-faced he is and how he only praises Yuzuru when it's convenient for him.
About you guys saying "he just likes Nathan better", yeah his comments would be understandable if he were a Nathan fan but have you forgotten about the Olympics SP? I remember how cruel NBC commentators were to him and how they completely turned on him after he got 17th place.

52 minutes ago, ruruzest said:

That also points to a bad pattern in Nathan's training, unfortunately: his best performances really are at US Nationals, even leaving the scoring out of it. Even this year, yesterday I was looking at his skating thinking, 'why on earth is he peaking here? Doesn't he know Worlds are coming? '  he tends to flop the competitions that come after Nationals. That points to coaching/planning failures, to my way of thinking.

Unrelated to Gracie's issue but I didn't know she has a twin sister :img_21: but that bit on her father's though, yikes... 

I didn't follow her closely either but when you were only vaguely aware of her condition after 2015/16 season, by the time the Olys season came I think that assumption (ie. she, as a US athlete, still counts in the race for the gold in the next Olys) from the reporter is understandable :v :þ

Here's to hoping she makes it through the recovery well, it is a long way ahead. You can do it Gracie <3