Sean Rabbitt

Katie McBeath

Megan Wessemberg

Cain/LeDuc

Stellato/Bartholomay

McNamara/Carpenter

Guest turquoiseblue

At age 28, Alex Johnson is set to make his Grand Prix debut

Alex Johnson has been competing at the senior national level since the 2009-2010 season. His highest placement was sixth in both 2016 and 2017 and he finished eighth in 2018. Now at the age of 28, Johnson will make his senior ISU Grand Prix debut this November, having been invited to NHK Trophy in Hiroshima, Japan.

FSO: Where were you when you got the news that you received your first Grand Prix assignment? What was your initial reaction to the news? Has it sunk in yet that you’ll be competing in Japan in the fall?

AJ: I was actually sitting at my desk at work and Angela Wang texted me. I was busy working on a project and wasn’t going to check my phone (sorry Angela if you’re reading this), but when it kept buzzing, I was curious as to what was going on. Angela’s text said “ALEX!!! NHK!!!!” followed by another one that said “You got NHK, we’re going together.” I couldn’t believe it! It was a very exciting moment however, and I definitely had trouble focusing the rest of the day. I cannot wait for this opportunity!

FSO: What are you most looking forward to about competing in Japan? Will this be your first time in Japan?

AJ: This will be my second time in Japan. I went a few years ago to train with Mie Hamada and her camp in Osaka. I’ve worked with her off and on over the years as she had come to Colorado with her skaters many times. She had always told me how great it would be if I could come do NHK and now it’s finally coming true. I’m looking forward to skating in front of Japanese fans, it seems to me that they are the best in the world!

FSO: What are some of your goals for this season?

AJ: Once again, I want to soak in all of these experiences and enjoy the process. I would love to be on the U.S. Championships podium this year and feel that by performing to the best of my ability, I have the potential to be there.

FSO: What is your short program and who choreographed it? What is it like and how did you decide on that program?

AJ: My short program is to “Song of the Stars” by Dead Can Dance. I actually choreographed it myself. Initially I didn’t want to, because I love working with other choreographers, but Page [Lipe, my coach] thought it would be a great challenge for me. It has a modern yet tribal feel to it. I’m excited to see what people think of it at Champs Camp.

FSO: What is your free skate and who choreographed it?

AJ: My free skate is to “The Golden Age”, “Iron”, and “Run Boy Run” by Woodkid. It was choreographed by Shae-Lynn Bourne who I absolutely adore. This program means a lot to me. Page actually came across both my short program and free program music this year. Usually it takes me a very long time to find pieces to skate to, but this year it was a very quick process. We had ideas of the genre of music / vibe we wanted to create and the music sort of fell right into our hands.

ETA:

He has announced a new SP on 12 Sep, 2018:

• 2 weeks later...