General Yuzuru Chat

1 minute ago, MarthEmblem said:

I mean for me, even with the perfect performance at ACI, I was still a little like "why Chopin again?" and half-wishing he stuck with LGC. But then Olympic Chopin and that Ina Bauer happened and I promptly fell over and died

At ACI I was amazed by his perfect technique.. But at the Olympic, it was mixed between technical prowess and the beauty of movements and performance..he's so into it. And also we missed him a lot because he was injured and away from competition for a long time. So, when he's comeback and gave us that performance.. I have no words. 

He's so unpredictable, unbelievable, and strong. 

For now, I'll enjoy and cherished the time we had when he's still competing. :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

1 hour ago, makebelieveup said:

Guyss, I kept rewatching Otonal and while it did seem less fleeting the more I watch it, I still think that it wasrather incomplete? Not everyone watches Yuzu's programs 1000 times each competition like us fanyus so first impression is important and I remember how my first impression (and till now) of it is "it ended aleady?"

Don't you guys feel like having the layout makes it just a tad unbalance - we have many jumps and 1 spin in the first half and then the ss and 2 spins in the 2nd half. It doesnt feel like it was wrapped up nicely. Yes, I do think that this is a beautiful program but I guess by Yuzu's standard, it doesnt feel enough. I cant help but compared it to Chopin since they are both melodic, classical music pieces that carry the same quiet temperament in the first half and then powerful dynamic during the ss. So to me, Chopin is a superior program, but that's unfair because Chopin has gone through 3 seasons with 3 different layouts so its obviously super fleshed out by the final season. Everything was fine tuned to the nth degree while Otonal is still a work in progress. I wasnt a fan when Chopin 1.0 or 2.0 debuted so I'm wondering if you guys had any similar experience with Chopin 1.0. At least, to me just from rewatching Chopin 2.0 after I became a fan, I found nothing wrong with it. It was already perfect program from start to finish and 3.0 only somehow made it better in terms of the performance (at this point Yuzu could do it in his sleep). 

Back to Otonal's layout, I'm thinking either 4loop or 4Sal would give the same ethereal effect as the starting jump. Also, there are many parts in the first half where we can squeeze two glorious spins in rather than the jump combos. I'd suggest keeping the twizzle 3a as is since he was right on the notes there. The twizzle  entry and exit also serve as a choreo movement that the theme of the program - like some kind of movements of the autumn leaves. If not then maybe change that to a backcounter 3A and place it right before the SS (get rid of that spin). Then maybe instead of the 'idk what you call it' jump that came out from the hydroblade, do a combo there. Would that be too risky? Maybe discard the hydroblade even? I didnt think it add much to the program. To me the most awkward part of the program was how the music transitioned from the ss to the final spin. Thats the part that made the program felt like it ended too quickly. So replaced with the combos, if landed perfectly, the scream of the audience could mask the music transition and at the same time, assists the program in amplifying the dynamic going into the ending spin

So if you cant imagine what I've been trying to advocate:

4Loop or 4Sal - edge jumps suit the program more

CSSp

FCSp

Twizzle 3A as is or

Counter 3A closer right before ss

SS

4S3T or 4T3T

CCoSp

This is probably a lot similar to Chopin but hey if it aint broke dont fix it. 

:8:  No No please don't remove the hydroblade.  I find myself (even when watching other skaters) listening to  music and thinking 

... "Oh they could do a hydroblade there."  Just love them.   Yuzu's 'ice kiss' hydro is to die for!!! 

I find Origin pretty much perfect in terms of construct. The bones of the program are great, I find it waaaay more interesting and complex than H&L, and it *only* needs clean elements.... like a house that only needs some new paint and fixtures as opposed to tearing down walls and moving the plumbing. 

Otonal is great in parts, especially from step seq to the end. However, I also find it unbalanced. The 3 jumps to start are definitely the issue for me. I know it was his idea and he had reasons, but I think moving one of them to later would be better. With Chopin, over the years he moved his elements around and they still fit the music and I think it could be done here too. I hope he considers it, but maybe right now he has to see how it looks after skating it clean. ACI wasn't the best outing for it, so you cannot get the intended impression. But, like others have said, he is trying new things and this is absolutely the time for that. I trust him to keep evolving, as usual, and to keep showing us he never stagnates.

3 hours ago, makebelieveup said:

Guyss, I kept rewatching Otonal and while it did seem less fleeting the more I watch it, I still think that it wasrather incomplete? Not everyone watches Yuzu's programs 1000 times each competition like us fanyus so first impression is important and I remember how my first impression (and till now) of it is "it ended aleady?"

Don't you guys feel like having the layout makes it just a tad unbalance - we have many jumps and 1 spin in the first half and then the ss and 2 spins in the 2nd half. It doesnt feel like it was wrapped up nicely. Yes, I do think that this is a beautiful program but I guess by Yuzu's standard, it doesnt feel enough. I cant help but compared it to Chopin since they are both melodic, classical music pieces that carry the same quiet temperament in the first half and then powerful dynamic during the ss. So to me, Chopin is a superior program, but that's unfair because Chopin has gone through 3 seasons with 3 different layouts so its obviously super fleshed out by the final season. Everything was fine tuned to the nth degree while Otonal is still a work in progress. I wasnt a fan when Chopin 1.0 or 2.0 debuted so I'm wondering if you guys had any similar experience with Chopin 1.0. At least, to me just from rewatching Chopin 2.0 after I became a fan, I found nothing wrong with it. It was already perfect program from start to finish and 3.0 only somehow made it better in terms of the performance (at this point Yuzu could do it in his sleep). 

Back to Otonal's layout, I'm thinking either 4loop or 4Sal would give the same ethereal effect as the starting jump. Also, there are many parts in the first half where we can squeeze two glorious spins in rather than the jump combos. I'd suggest keeping the twizzle 3a as is since he was right on the notes there. The twizzle  entry and exit also serve as a choreo movement that the theme of the program - like some kind of movements of the autumn leaves. If not then maybe change that to a backcounter 3A and place it right before the SS (get rid of that spin). Then maybe instead of the 'idk what you call it' jump that came out from the hydroblade, do a combo there. Would that be too risky? Maybe discard the hydroblade even? I didnt think it add much to the program. To me the most awkward part of the program was how the music transitioned from the ss to the final spin. Thats the part that made the program felt like it ended too quickly. So replaced with the combos, if landed perfectly, the scream of the audience could mask the music transition and at the same time, assists the program in amplifying the dynamic going into the ending spin

So if you cant imagine what I've been trying to advocate:

4Loop or 4Sal - edge jumps suit the program more

CSSp

FCSp

Twizzle 3A as is or

Counter 3A closer right before ss

SS

4S3T or 4T3T

CCoSp

This is probably a lot similar to Chopin but hey if it aint broke dont fix it. 

I rewatched Otonal after watching Chen's SP (sorryyyy), I actually like the uneven choreography of the program. The first calm part with less movement is important in terms of introducing or inviting audience into the storytelling. The second part with tense music and bodily movement let the program reach to its peak. The arrangement of the pace is smart. I don't think a good performance means you need fill out the whole program with complex footwork from the beginning to the end. That would be disaster since it is not a story, lacks of theatric narrative, no distinction between interlude and culmination, in other words, tedious for sure. So I am glad to see Yuzu's movement arrangement is perfectly artistic.

BUT there are indeed some moments, may a few seconds, I think can add to more details like the spread eagle pass through the Juges can be added with some arm movements. And the entry into the second part the crossig through the whole ice rink can also have more complex trajactory.

I just envision a more detailed program would be presented in future competition.

In my opinion Yuzuru should include the elements he wants to do, in order he wants them to be, with entries he wants to do :dancingpooh: I hope he will only change things when he isn't satisfied.

I can't wait to see how both of his programs will look in Helsinki after a few weeks of training.

I think that the jump sequence in Otonal is Yuzu’s tribute to the structure of programs in early 2000 programs, when skater first did their difficult stuff and then everything else. The difference being Yuzu included quite a lot of difficult choreographic moves between the jumps...

so I find it weirdly fresh. 

16 minutes ago, Yoa said:

In my opinion Yuzuru should include the elements he wants to do, in order he wants them to be, with entries he wants to do :dancingpooh: I hope he will only change things when he isn't satisfied.

I can't wait to see how both of his programs will look in Helsinki after a few weeks of training.

Me too.  Not long to go now!

I agreed its too soon to judge both programs. Unlike some top skaters, he didn't have chance to skate to it in ice show, ACI is his first outing and it wasn't perfect but its far from bad . Tbh, nobody can skate a program perfectly in his/her first comp. If we rule out ACI17's Chopin, Otonal is his best SP debut, both technically and  perfomance wise,  even with the spin mistake. IMO I found the SP layout is fine, I like his idea for all jumps in quite part, you can hear the sound of his blade when he land the jumps. Tbh, this layout is not any less risky compare to his old one. He did combo as last jumping past, all the jumps are quite close so if he make mistake, its hard to recover. With this music cut, he can move his combo in 2nd half if he want. I think we will see some changes in both programs at Helsinki.  

29 minutes ago, Fay said:

I think that the jump sequence in Otonal is Yuzu’s tribute to the structure of programs in early 2000 programs, when skater first did their difficult stuff and then everything else. The difference being Yuzu included quite a lot of difficult choreographic moves between the jumps...

so I find it weirdly fresh. 

Yeah... just look at protocols from Vancouver 2010. 

http://www.isuresults.com/results/owg2010/owg10_Men_SP_Scores.pdf

25/30 skaters had all 3 jumping passes at the beginning of the program, one after another. Including Javier, Daisuke, Patrick, Stephane, Johnny, Plushenko...

ETA:

Spoiler

6 jumping passes at the beginning...