General Yuzuru Chat

17 minutes ago, Neenah said:

The new rules favors those with multiple quads (especially the 4F and 4Lz) and that is not Yuzu. The younger quad kids are also catching up to him in PC and even if he is always given the highest PC scores, a couple of points won't make a big difference compared to the BV and GOE of quads. 

@Anki does unfortunately have a point. If the ISU and the judges wanted to create an new idol, then beating Yuzu is the way to go because he is a legend. It is basically piggybacking on his fame and reputation. Afterall, who is the best skater in the world? it is the one who beat the legend :shrug:

We did see it in the media last year at the Olympics when they were pushing Nathan and always bringing up the fact that he is the only one to beat Yuzu (if you discount ACI which they probably did) in the previous year. I am not saying it is going to happen, but we cannot just believe that if he is clean he will win anymore. Give the other quadseters high GOE and PC (they are almost there) and they will win, it is just math. Yuzu knows and understand this which is why he talked about the new generation when asked about WR. 

Sorry for the pessimistic post.. I think Yuzu will be fine because his goals are not just winning but delivering great performances and the 4A. But I think we should be prepared to see someone else win over a clean Yuzu, as it very much can happen.

Perhaps, but I'm skeptical that it will be Nathan, this year. He's going to Yale, on the other side of the country from his coach. My guess is, he won't be able to train as intensively as he needs to in order to be a consistent winner this year. Instead, I am expecting Shoma and Boyang to give Yuzu a run for his money, maybe some of the others.

But at the end of the day, after his 2 Olympic Golds, everything Yuzu does now is bonus extra, so it literally does not matter the results, as long as he is satisfied with his efforts.

28 minutes ago, Neenah said:

The new rules favors those with multiple quads (especially the 4F and 4Lz) and that is not Yuzu. The younger quad kids are also catching up to him in PC and even if he is always given the highest PC scores, a couple of points won't make a big difference compared to the BV and GOE of quads. 

@Anki does unfortunately have a point. If the ISU and the judges wanted to create an new idol, then beating Yuzu is the way to go because he is a legend. It is basically piggybacking on his fame and reputation. Afterall, who is the best skater in the world? it is the one who beat the legend :shrug:

We did see it in the media last year at the Olympics when they were pushing Nathan and always bringing up the fact that he is the only one to beat Yuzu (if you discount ACI which they probably did) in the previous year. I am not saying it is going to happen, but we cannot just believe that if he is clean he will win anymore. Give the other quadseters high GOE and PC (they are almost there) and they will win, it is just math. Yuzu knows and understand this which is why he talked about the new generation when asked about WR. 

Sorry for the pessimistic post.. I think Yuzu will be fine because his goals are not just winning but delivering great performances and the 4A. But I think we should be prepared to see someone else win over a clean Yuzu, as it very much can happen.

That is pretty much my fear for the next season.. I just don't trust ISU to score even remotely close to what the skaters actually put out there and now they have even more leeway so why wouldn't they use it :notamused:

Idk maybe they'll prove me wrong and the judges won't go completely nuts with the seniors like they did with the juniors or the national comps but somehow I doubt it

I tend to believe that Yuzu would have continued pushing himself even if he did get candy from the judges, because he's his hardest critic. He analyzes each jump he does and he knows best when he did good and when not, regardless of the scores. I believe there have even been times when he outright said he got too high scores and he needs to improve to live up to them (though I might have dreamed that lol). But I also think getting judge candy is bad for the other skaters, because it's really easy to say why bother, when you get the points anyway. It's also bad for FS as a whole, but that's a different issue.

For the rules, I still think it could go either way, depending - either favoring Yuzu or the quadsters. However, I think a lot of us forget that Yuzu isn't really a no-quads guy. If everything had gone right last season, the only one with more quads would have been Nathan. And if Yuzu had landed all of his, he and Nathan would have been tied in landed quads at Olys. Admittedly, he's mostly counting on 4S and 4T, but still. And if he managed to bring Nessie, the rest could easily pack up and go home :P (or well, almost) If he brings back 4Lo and then maybe even 4Lz eventually, it'll really balance things in his favor. And all that without sacrificing artistry, transitions and so on, because he's Yuzu and that would go against his greater goal. If he does even half of that, I don't think judges could hold him back much... Also, he knows he gets underscored at times and I believe he prepares for it. To force them to give him the bare minimum, which will still be enough to be above the rest - like Worlds 2017. They really tried, but could not hold him back.

Anyway, even if one of the others beats him and papers write about it, I doubt there will ever be another skater like him. He is so much more than incredibly talented. He has the personality, the charm, the adorable and the serious and the intense sides, and he also has the incredible story and a strong magnetism. I doubt any other existing skater could pull in as many fans or impress and touch and influence as many people. So even if they beat him in points, they'll never really take his place, IMO.

1 hour ago, Neenah said:

I don't think it can. Not if it's Yuzu's definition of 'clean'. 

I think there is room for your concerns, but I am just very sure about Yuzuru's capabilities as he is with himself when he says "I am going to win this". 

Remember how much doubt surrounded him going into the Olympics? Were you certain he was going to win then? Here it's the same thing. 

And he didn't win because he was lucky. He won because he skated better than anyone else by far. Because he is a competitive monster and he WON'T let other people get his medals when he really wants them. 

1 hour ago, Neenah said:

This has already been discussed a lot in General Skating Chat, but let me just pop in to say that the idea that the new rules favor people with multiple quads more than the old rules is a myth (they actually slightly reduce the advantage gotten by having multiple quads), and new rules should favor Yuzu if they favor anybody. He has the highest average GOE in the men's field, so he should benefit the most from the shifting of points to GOE and away from BV under the new scoring system. There's really no reason to say the new rules hurt him--if he's disadvantaged this upcoming quad for whatever reason, it will have everything to do with the judges themselves, not the rules as written.

4S, 4T, 4Lo, 4Lz (out of commission this season) and now maybe even 4A. So thats 3 for definite, 4 by the end of the season maybe, coming up to 5 for his whole cupboard.

Lol what "not a quadster". Not only does he have the quads, he has them with +GOE. Unlike most of the other "quadsters"

And also might I remind everyone that with "Just the 4S and 4T" Yuzu won the Olympics by 11 whole points. 

To be fair, none of our concerns are really new to him. He's pretty much always been judged harsher. 

He's the kid in the class who always got 95+ points on test on a normal basis, so gets told he's performing below expectations if he somehow only gets 94. That's his status and how he is judged in a nutshell. Like it or not, he's the one who's had to live and learn to thrive in a mental state where "having such high expectations" is a compliment. Even if objectively, it's slightly unfair, as his 90/100 is probably equivalent to 98/100 when attached to others. If really judged objectively, judges need to start throwing 110+ PCS at him at minimum (where's Max Ambesi when I need him).

Yuzu and Patrick were the only two guys in the last quad whose ceiling scores in PCs approached perfect. Other guys, are not there yet, most with ceilings probably around 88-92/100. 

19 minutes ago, Paskud said:

And I want remind that there is that rule about PCS for skate with serious mistake. If there is anyone who will be hitted by it, it will be Zu.

I don't quite see why Yuzu would be hit more by this rule than anyone else. (Always assuming fair judging which is a stretch but we can hope). 

50 minutes ago, OonsieHui said:

4S, 4T, 4Lo, 4Lz (out of commission this season) and now maybe even 4A. So thats 3 for definite, 4 by the end of the season maybe, coming up to 5 for his whole cupboard.

Lol what "not a quadster". Not only does he have the quads, he has them with +GOE. Unlike most of the other "quadsters"

And also might I remind everyone that with "Just the 4S and 4T" Yuzu won the Olympics by 11 whole points. 

He is definitely a quadster, no one is denying that. It is just that the term is usually used to group the younger skaters instead of listing their names (or at least that how I usually see it used).