General Yuzuru Chat

17 minutes ago, Paskud said:
1 hour ago, micaelis said:

That means he wants a perfect 4A and I think that means he's going to use the counter-turn entry he uses on his 3A, a move he basically has patented for himself.

Wow-wow-wow! Slow down, don't gallop. :deadhorse: (sorry, I really wanted to use this :rolleye0008:)

It means something that in competition only one person did and does counter-3a and that person is two time olympic champion. It's clear that he mastered this but it doesn't mean that it's easy.

It isn't easy but that's why he's the only one who enters a 3A in that way and if he can successfully launch a 4A that way and land it with equal virtuosity, then he'll attain what he wants from his 4A, a jump that garners for him not only the base value but a full 5 GOE points.  He's said explicitly he wants the jump to get him the full five points and if there is anything that would be guaranteed to get those points it would be a launching and landing in a way that even if others are jumping a 4A he can be sure that nobody will be doing it the way he does.  He isn't the master of the 3A for nothing and it looks to me he wants to patent the 4A in the same manner.

8 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

I feel like skating and skiing are two great alternatives to flying c: swimming is a lot harder because it's high intensity and requires a lot of resistance, I do 10 meters swimming and I'm gasping for breath for 5 minutes! But yeah I love it as well. I actually love all these 'cold' sports because they remove a huge problem for me when working out and doing sports: being HOT and SWEATY. 

Also yeah I agree with you with Yuzuru definitely being able to swim, it's just that maybe he doesn't have a lot of occasions because he skates and loves that and is interested in quite few things besides that (music, earphones, trolling). 

They def have a swimming pool at TCC so I think he is actively choosing not to learn it LOL probably can't be bothered since, like you said, he already has his hobbies of choice.

but nooo I can swim freestyle for an hour and chill, it totally depends on your technique. It doesn't have to be high intensity. Skating is aloooooot more high intensity to me personally (never tried skiing myself). And SAME lmao I totally appreciate the cold ice rinks, even if I have to say the only sport that relieves me from being hot and sweaty is swimming bc I am usually a hot red tomato at the end of skating sessions, too.

5 minutes ago, robin said:

They def have a swimming pool at TCC so I think he is actively choosing not to learn it LOL probably can't be bothered since, like you said, he already has his hobbies of choice.

I am kinda grateful he is not a swimmer because.

Spoiler

seeing him in costume all the time would be. too much. 

8 minutes ago, robin said:

but nooo I can swim freestyle for an hour and chill, it totally depends on your technique.

What technique? I cannot even go underwater without holding my nose :10814716: I just flap my arms and legs until they give out! And, like, try to keep my butt afloat. 

9 minutes ago, robin said:

And SAME lmao I totally appreciate the cold ice rinks, even if I have to say the only sport that relieves me from being hot and sweaty is swimming bc I am usually a hot red tomato at the end of skating sessions, too.

Yeah probably you do way more energy requiring things than me while skating! But hey, tomorrow evening will be my first ever skating lesson, hopefully :3

1 minute ago, Murieleirum said:

I am kinda grateful he is not a swimmer because.

Hide contents

seeing him in costume all the time would be. too much. 

What technique? I cannot even go underwater without holding my nose :10814716: I just flap my arms and legs until they give out! And, like, try to keep my butt afloat. 

Yeah probably you do way more energy requiring things than me while skating! But hey, tomorrow evening will be my first ever skating lesson, hopefully :3

Spoiler

Let‘s... not go there. 

Yayyyy that’s such a big step. So soon we‘ll have you jumping and spinning all over the place? 

And.. I just have really bad stamina :13877886: Crossovers alone knock me out. 

Also looool swimming takes time to learn, as well!! I‘ve been swimming regularly since I can remember so it’s a different story

1 hour ago, robin said:

With Yuzu's natural talent for things I doubt that'd be a problem if he actually... tried. LOL he doesn't seem interested (which is sad bc I personally find myself attracted to swimming and gliding on skates in similiar ways. PLUS swimming is like the next best alternative to flying.)

Yeah I'm sure he would be fine swimming, especially with his athleticism... but people with low body fat just have a more difficult time starting out, especially if they're already grown up and don't know how to swim at all!

Didn't he say that he was allergic to chlorine which is why he doesn't swim anyway? I like swimming but I don't find it similar to gliding on ice at all xD it feels like there's a lot more resistance LOL

3 hours ago, micaelis said:

Amongst athletes with low body fat the one type of athlete who would probably win the low-fat sweepstakes if you were doing a general comparison rather than individual comparisons would be road-race bicyclists like you see in the Tour de France.  They are well-known for having almost no body fat.  Every part of their body must be as dense as possible with the premium put on musculature (particularly legs).  In many respects Yuzu has the body design that would do well if he were in the Tour de France, with one caveat - bicycle racing is not the sport an asthmatic should take up.  Trying to climb a road in that high-mountain air is not to be recommended.  Otherwise, though, Yuzu, like most world-class cyclists is short and slender and ideal physique-wise.

As far as flototation, I did some quick on-line research.  The general judgment I came up with after going through a number of different sites trying to answer the question of why fat people float more easily than lean people amounts to this.  Someone with Yuzu's physique would be able to float, but they would have to position themselves in the water to take maximum advantage of their high body density.  They could float but they'd have to work at it.  Some of a person's buoyancy is due not to muscle/fat ratios but also the air in the lungs.  My conclusion is that Yuzu would not sink like a rock but he'd be strongly recommended to head for the nearest solid support (another boat, a pool's edge or the nearest shore.  He'd be a lot safer on land than in the water.  Considering Yuzu's general fitness I would not think he would be a drowning victim if he suddenly found himself on the deep end of the pool.  We've seen him over the  years and nobody could say that Yuzu does not possess very strong survival instincts.

At ACI we'll probably be seeing just the top of an iceberg that's 90% underwater.  Yuzu's real work on polishing off his program, as I see it, will take place in the approximately six weeks between ACI and Rostelecom.  Basically Yuzu has almost another summer's worth of preparation he can do.  More significant are the little snippets that have been getting out about his work on a 4A.  We can deduce from those that he's getting the rotation (not surprising) but not the landing.  In what state his landing's are we've no idea, but we can speculate based on his declared intention of a 4A with a 5 GOE.  That means he wants a perfect 4A and I think that means he's going to use the counter-turn entry he uses on his 3A, a move he basically has patented for himself.  As for a landing, I wouldn't be surprised if he wants to land into a spread-eagle.  With and entry and exit like that he'd get his plus 5 and some would be giving him a plus 10 if it were possible.  In any case what I'm finding rather delightful is his hanging the threat of a 4A over the heads of his competitors like a Sword of Damocles.  They'll never know until after he's done his first jump whether they'll be dealing with or not.  Like Brian says, 'Never underestimate Yuzuru Hanyu.'  

Suddenly I had this thought that he will reveal his 4A at COR.....landing his dream jump while skating to his idol’s iconic program/music in front of his idol’s home crowd....the roof will be totally blown off!  

It’s all in his calculations 

tumblr_p8c0fdywUJ1x88qiso2_r1_540.gif

Someone told me that Yuzu mentioned he watches all Jr Grand Prix Events. Anyone have an interview reference that Yuzu watches JGP every season, religiously? (Meaning he also watches all JGPs, not just JGPF). I wonder if he also watches the ladies JGP too?

I'm curious because, I want to know what Yuzu thinks about Trusova, the Jr Quad jumper in the ladies, and what he thinks about Alena Kostornaia, because she is sort of similar to Yuzu in a way that they are both rare, total package, lyrical skaters, who are olympic champion material/potential. 

12 minutes ago, quadaxelwin said:

Someone told me that Yuzu mentioned he watches all Jr Grand Prix Events. Anyone have an interview reference that Yuzu watches JGP every season, religiously? (Meaning he also watches all JGPs, not just JGPF). I wonder if he also watches the ladies JGP too?

I'm curious because, I want to know what Yuzu thinks about Trusova, the Jr Quad jumper in the ladies, and what he thinks about Alena Kostornaia, because she is sort of similar to Yuzu in a way that they are both rare, total package, lyrical skaters, who are olympic champion material/potential. 

i watched a few programs from alena kostornaia bc everyone always says such good things about her

i think she is definitely special but i find her a bit stiff? her musicality and SS are definitely her strengths compared to her peers, but her jumps are not the most beautiful, IMO.

As for Yuzu, does he mean that he watches the junior men? He definitely did that leading up to Pyeongchang because he knew the upcoming juniors were going to be his main competitors, and they were. I'd wager he doesn't watch the junior ladies, though.

9 hours ago, Paskud said:

And I want remind that there is that rule about PCS for skate with serious mistake. If there is anyone who will be hitted by it, it will be Zu.

But he always performs best when it counts the most. Honestly, I'm not at all worried about his scores this year, mainly because I get the impression from his media day interview that he's not worried about them either. He'll do his best and that will be that.

7 minutes ago, quadaxelwin said:

Maybe don't hype about  "total package" and "olympic champion material" that early, hm? Kostornaia still has many things to correct.

3 hours ago, Sammie said:

Is this really true? My skinny miny 98 lbs friend can swim while my whale of a body sink down to the bottom :14066882:

I used to be a lifeguard and swim instructor. There's a lot more to floating than body composition, and a lot more to swimming than being able to float. IMO, if Yuzu doesn't know how to swim, he'd be well advised to stick to very shallow water where he can easily touch bottom, or not at all. Swimming is not a matter of athletic ability or instinct, it's a matter of understanding the physics of the human body in water and not panicking even while doing things that run counter to your instincts.

That being said, Yuzu's Japanese, I'm sure he's been to an onsen, he probably has mastered floating with his head supported by the side of the pool or bath. It's a start.

Hello, everyone!

New FS fan here. I’ve been lurking here since I’ve discovered Yuzu last Olympics. I never thought it would be so stressful to stan a troll GOAT. HAHAHAHAHA! I thought following him religiously would take off the stress from law school, but boy was I wrong. I guess I’m in for a very wild ride. Lol. 

8 minutes ago, MeowZu said:

Hello, everyone!

New FS fan here. I’ve been lurking here since I’ve discovered Yuzu last Olympics. I never thought it would be so stressful to stan a troll GOAT. HAHAHAHAHA! I thought following him religiously would take off the stress from law school, but boy was I wrong. I guess I’m in for a very wild ride. Lol. 

Welcome!!! :sign0016: