General Yuzuru Chat

If we talk old, in 2004 I was close to graduating highschool... :sadPooh: My mind/heart is still around that level :darklordyuzu:

@Aotoshiro just a quick thing, regarding Boyang's attitude towards Yuzu, in his official ISU biography, it says Yuzu is one of the skaters he looks up to. Not sure how accurate that is :P (I checked all the top 6 biographies at one point and this stuck with me).

21 minutes ago, Smultron said:

Has Yuzuru ever done a layback a-la the one that Adam does? Cause that would be so beautiful :10636614: 

closest I remember is that blink and you miss it crossfoot in WTT'17 team number (he had way too much fun with the scarf...)

Let's wait for the Planetational Treasure @kaeryth's opinion!

Also @KatjaThera thanks for pointing out Boyang's info! I knew I remembered he HAD some kind of admiration for Yuzu but I just assumed it was some return compliment from NHK'16 conference, which I just coded somewhere in the back of my mind...

I'd love to see Yuzu add that spin to his armoury.  It shows again his incredible flexibility, a flexibility that is probably the envy of most of the other male skaters.  I've seen some other skaters try the Bielmann but their attempts are so pathetic it would be better they not try at all.  Actually, though, there is a spin I think Yuzu could do that would really wow the crowd - go straight from a donut into a Bielmann.  That would be absolutely incredible and it would be something I'd venture most of the ladies even couldn't do.  That is one of the things I find admirable about Yuzu in his approach to skating.  He's not afraid to think outside the box.  The Bielmann, for instance, thought mainly as a move for the ladies.  That didn't discourage Yuzu.  There's a video of Yuzu back in his Novice B days doing a very good Bielmann when he's just nine years old.  Then there are his programs.  Over the years he's pursued quite a range of music for his programs, keeping it so that one could not say a particular type of music is what Yuzu skates to, unlike Javi, who's music is usually Spanish or movie stuff.  So it is in that vid above, we see Yuzu attempting a new spin, much as I can imagine him undertaking to do a new jump.  It shows Yuzu's innate curiosity, a curiosity and determination that has made him the one who is raising the sport to new levels and whose presence is so great that years from now these years will be known as the Hanyu years, just as the 2000s are the Plushenko years.  Having an era named after one in skating doesn't mean a particular skater won everything in sight.  What it does mean is that particular skater was the one constantly testing the limits of the sport.  There's no other skater around this decade who has more consistently been the one doing that.  Witness all those records.  They tell all.

@Fay & @Xen  :wave: I think there are a few prehistoric members.

I find Javi, Patrick and to a lesser extent Shoma and Nathan rather heavy on the ice- it's not as obvious with the older ones because their landings when they're on form are very smooth and not awkward or stiff.  I agree with Robin Cousins comments that no one has the lightness and delicacy of Hanyus jumping, and when he skates clean it's magical in a way that the others can't compete with.  

1 hour ago, Lunna said:

Joining the auntie club... but I feel much younger so I always have a pause when asked about my age! :laughing:

Well I usually embarrass myself and my daughter in public :facepalm: for not acting my age :P

Does that count as “ I feel younger “ than my actual age ??? I would want to justify my behavior that way because it sounds good !

1 hour ago, KatjaThera said:

If we talk old, in 2004 I was close to graduating highschool... :sadPooh: My mind/heart is still around that level :darklordyuzu:

@Aotoshiro just a quick thing, regarding Boyang's attitude towards Yuzu, in his official ISU biography, it says Yuzu is one of the skaters he looks up to. Not sure how accurate that is :P (I checked all the top 6 biographies at one point and this stuck with me).

O_O I thought you were much younger! Haha, I hope I didn't come across as too condescending! :embSwan: 

And there's that adorable photo of tiny Boyang with Yuzu

e811924d166f5104d6a6cf5090a028b2--ice-sk