new interview with Rafael: "It’s not my plan for Nathan to compete with someone on equals at the Olympics"

here the parts about Nathan

A coach who has Nathan Chen among his students can afford not to think about ladies’ skating at all, don’t you think?

Rafael Harutyunyan: Since childhood Nathan clearly understood that he was already an adult. From about ten years old, he began to appear on the ice in Lake Arrowhead, coming to the training camps, and at 11 he told his mother: “If we don’t move here, I will not achieve anything.” And they really moved, rented some very tiny apartment near the rink. And at the age of 12, Nathan jumped all triples, and with a good technique. Therefore, in fact, it was not difficult for us to turn all these jumps into quadruples.

What task did you set for Chen at Skate America?

Rafael Harutyunyan: You know, I don’t like to open cards ahead of time and reveal secrets. From what you’ve probably noticed – we started moving jumps towards the end of the program, we try different options. In the short program, Chen jumped a quad flip in the second half, which is a big step forward for us. At the team event, which was organized within the framework of the competitions a day after, Nathan performed without me and tried to perform a quadruple loop in the free program and coped with it very well.

At the moment, Chen looks stronger than all his rivals and is definitely ahead of them in the technical richness of the programs. Isn’t it more logical to decide on the set of jumps for the Olympic season now and prepare it without any experiments, achieving maximum stability?

Rafael Harutyunyan: It is a myth that Chen is the strongest. The bigger it grows, the more dangerous it is to believe it. It does not happen in sports that there are no rivals. There is always someone who is able to jump out from behind. So why should we stop? So that those who are now behind, come closer?

To be honest, it is not my plan at all for Nathan to compete with someone on equals at the Olympics. Therefore, we use all the opportunities and loopholes to make maximum progress and go far ahead. And it’s never too late to slow down."

Source
https://t.co/H2qu21tnXe?amp=1

How Moving to Toronto Reignited Jason Brown’s Love for Figure Skating
https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/news/2020/10/28/rinkside-figure-skating-how-moving-to-toronto-reignited-jason-browns-love-for-figure-skating.aspx

There is rumor that Nathan attempted 4A at SkAm :surprised_pikachu: (someone allegedly saw his attempt but was not allowed to post the footage)

PS: His 3A is not exactly the best thing out there. It is always on the smaller side (both in height and distance) and not with a lot of speed going into it so I don't know where he would find extra room for another rotation? 

• 2 weeks later...

Nathan's 4Lo is back it seems. His jump at Las Vegas Invitational was pretty good (if we skip the fact that he has no transition into it, basically set up, look behind and jump). Haven't watched his full performance but from reports it seems he nailed 4 quads. I would say that's pretty impressive given that this even was held, what, 2 days after SkAm. 

Barring injuries, sickness and other possible wacko things in between, if he keeps up like this, with his strong fed support and inflation, I would say his chances for a podium finish at Beijing (not lower than second) look pretty locked. 

• 4 weeks later...