Team Russia

2 hours ago, Fay said:

Now if Alena told them on July 18th or thereabouts, as they claim, she was leaving them why did they keep mum for nearly two weeks? 

Maybe they thought she would come back and waited a bit. I believe more what Plush said simply because it doesn't make that much sense if Alena made the decision in May and stayed at Sambo more than 2 months and let the team make her new programs. That's a waste of time.

Wild guess but maybe she looked at the choreo, gave it a try and had a Harrison Ford / George Lucas moment - you can’t skate this s*** Dan- but she had the guts to go.

22 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

Wild guess but maybe she looked at the choreo, gave it a try and had a Harrison Ford / George Lucas moment - you can’t skate this s*** Dan- but she had the guts to go.

It may be possible she trained the new programs, she realised after a while she didn't like them, then the training of 3A didn't go well either...so she had enough. The new LP was posted on Daniil's IG on 10 July, so a few days before things happened.

On 7/27/2020 at 1:31 AM, Paskud said:

or not

Good luck to them!

I hope Alena Kanysheva can have a successfull partnership and career (and hopefully Russian ID field can be slightly less cutthroat than Ladies'), but I'll never not be sad thinking what a good and well rounded singles skaters she was - with such good jumping technique too, which is so rare :/

I wanna thank Russian FS drama for being one of the few reliable things in these uncertain times :popcorn:

(the others being Zuzu being the bestest and most adorkable GOAT and ISU being...well, ISU)

also, this unexpected move of Alyona's feels a lot like karma for that Best coach fakeaward:tumblr_inline_mzx8s4JRlX1r8msi5:

jokes aside, I'm utterly surprised by the move, but also kinda glad, but also not much hopeful about Plushenko's coaching being actually that different from Eteri's

Though at least there Alyona will "only" have Sasha as rival, and not a whole army of novices and juniors breathing on her neck and quadding left and right...

ETA: aaand I had forgotten Zhilina had decamped to Plushenko too:dpooh:  Still, less crowded that Eteri's camp, at the moment

(Wonder how the internal politicking will work out...will the Eteri bonus be split with Plushy? Will it become Plu bonus?)

On 7/31/2020 at 9:41 PM, Fay said:

Plushenko claims Kostornaya only approached him two weeks before, they had never spoken before. No demands about skating alone or apart from Sasha. New programs promised. 
https://tass.ru/sport/9099937

two weeks would make it consistent with a split happening around 18 July

It feels unlikely a skater had organized a move as far back as May and then waited two whole months...for what?

I can believe that Alyona had started mulling over the idea of changing coach earlier - quarantine gives people plenty of time to reassess - but she still chose to stick around and see. Then a combinatins of things - the ...unsatisfying choreo/choice of music, the not-yet-recovered 3A and so on - might have pushed her to change plans.

(Anyway, why does Rus fed even bother with having a deadline for coaching changes? It looks like lately everyone does as it pleases them:P)

On 7/31/2020 at 10:27 PM, Fay said:

Ok, another interview by Plush

https://rsport.ria.ru/20200731/1575242853.html

in short, he denies there had ever been any prior negotiations, denies that Alena didn’t want to skate along with anyone, and says Alena hated the new programs by Gleikhengauz. Lol, 

Plushenko is such a savage:smiley-laughing021:

I do hope Alyona can have better programs, like programs with stsq that fully highligh her skills instead of keeping her confined in a tiny portion of the rink (honestly, watching her stsq live was a bit disappointing for the lack of the ice coverage I'd expect from her)

Though I don't know what to expect from the choreographers Plu uses...

I hope whoever does choreo won't do another generic how-many-meaningless-moves-can-I-fit-in-4-minutes with some unnecessary and overdramatized story to "elevate" the program:notamused: 

(no more exploiting real tragedies to get bonus points. Also, we've already got enough souls, angels and paintings subjects wandering around, thank you very much)

Russian ladies - the never-ending soap opera story....

I can't say I'm surprised, the team system had the seeds of its own implosion inbuilt.  Too many OGM wannabes under one roof was never going to work, even before covid wrecked their chances of making a mark this year. And the method did treat the girls as easily replaceable and replaced, which kind of makes Eteri's complaints about lack of loyalty rather... well, sauce for the goose.

If Alina chooses not to return, it's going to make things veeeeerrrry interesting, with the invincible team going from too many for the podiums to... one (at least till Valieva moves up). I what Shcherbakova  is thinking this morning? She's pretty well become queen bee.

Is it wrong of me to be smirking over here? The Eteri 3A threat is no more...

Kosto is my favourite but her free skate last year... blech. However, I haven't seen enough programs from Plushy's students to be positively happy about this... at least there will be different choreos to choose from, I hope. Plush must be smiling into his vodka... stars dropping into his lap...

It's evil of me, but I'm beginning to hope Shcherbakova announces she's leaving (though not for Plushy, please) as well, just because the explosions from the Eteri worshipping people twisting their previous praise of each exiting skater into condemnation is getting damn funny... and if all three of the 3A 'family' desert, what will they do????

But she won't. She's now top of the team.

30 минут назад, Marie-E сказал:

Why didn't Alexandra and Alena opt for Mishin's club ? The location of the club is probably a reason?

Mishin is pretty old already, who knows how much time he is ready to invest. And to relocate to other city is not easy either.

This article claims that Alena was always the most independent and free-thinking of the Eteri girls, but also the most pragmatic - she understood staying with Eteri raises the odds of her winning the greatest prize. But she was disappointed and resentful that in spite of being the most successful of the 3A, she didn’t get any sponsorship deals. Plushenko is said to have contacted her before and suggesting going over to him, and in May there were some new contacts. Plushenko and Alena were nearly finalizing their deal when Eteri found out about it last Friday and threw Alena out of her school. So now Alena has nowhere to go but Plushenko, but the likelihood of a major sponsorship deal is very thin due to the coronavirus crisis. No idea how reliable the source is, but I wouldn’t bet much on it. Russian press is mostly meh. 
https://sport.business-gazeta.ru/article/257278