Random Thought Theater

Pamigena

1 hour ago, Neenah said:

It hasn't even been 24 hours yet and I already received news about the death of a friend's child and the illness of someone I really care about (thankfully it doesn't seem too serious)..

Really 2020? you can't let me live the illusion that you would be better than your predecessor for at least few days  :smiley-angry023:

I am sorry to hear this. I hope 2020 will bring you and your beloved ones more happiness and luck.

6 hours ago, Neenah said:

It hasn't even been 24 hours yet and I already received news about the death of a friend's child and the illness of someone I really care about (thankfully it doesn't seem too serious)..

Really 2020? you can't let me live the illusion that you would be better than your predecessor for at least few days  :smiley-angry023:

...oh dear :( , so sorry to hear about your loss, and as for your loved one's illness — swift recovery for them 🙏🙏🙏

Stay strong :consoling2:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys, at the risk of making me unpopular but I would like to share my opinion on the topic of Corona, because it drives me crazy.
Not from fear but from frustration. I do not understand where this panic comes from.
Yes, there is a new virus, which is not good, that's for sure. But why is everyone so afraid of it? It is a form of flu virus, for many people it is not worse than a cold.
Thousands of people die from the flu every year, and that only in Germany. Are we going to make such a drama every year during the flu season?
We had swine flu, bird flu, sars, there was no panic. I'm sorry, I just don't get it.  If it was Ebola, I would be afraid too, but........

Of course the situation is not good and people with pre-existing conditions have to be careful and if you have respect for corona I can understand it, but not this panic.

What I want to say is: Don't be careless but please try to relax a bit.

Sorry for this rant but I had to get that out. By the way, the economic consequences after Corona will probably keep us busy longer than Corona itself………

1 minute ago, Faithyu said:

Hi guys, at the risk of making me unpopular but I would like to share my opinion on the topic of Corona, because it drives me crazy.
Not from fear but from frustration. I do not understand where this panic comes from.
Yes, there is a new virus, which is not good, that's for sure. But why is everyone so afraid of it? It is a form of flu virus, for many people it is not worse than a cold.
Thousands of people die from the flu every year, and that only in Germany. Are we going to make such a drama every year during the flu season?
We had swine flu, bird flu, sars, there was no panic. I'm sorry, I just don't get it.  If it was Ebola, I would be afraid too, but........

Of course the situation is not good and people with pre-existing conditions have to be careful and if you have respect for corona I can understand it, but not this panic.

What I want to say is: Don't be careless but please try to relax a bit.

Sorry for this rant but I had to get that out. By the way, the economic consequences after Corona will probably keep us busy longer than Corona itself………

To the moment, this virus is far more contagious than the usual flu, more lethal (though not extremely so, I read the 16 dead until yesterday in France had all severe illnesses) and way more morbid, that is, needing more often intensive care. And that is where is the problem. To this moment, France and Germany can more or less treat properly the severe cases, thus the only dead had probably a very short life expectancy before the coronavirus. But French hospital system is on the verge of collapse (because in the 80's and 90's, governments knowingly didn't take enough students in Medicine studies, because of the last decades changes in hospital management, and because of unprepared budget restrictions while attendance was growing for different reasons) and I don't think it can hold much more. If there are more cases, there will be more severe cases needing hospitalisation, and if these people cannot be hospitalised, they may die, thus rising the lethality of the illness.

And if it spreads to underdevelopped countries, the same.

I think part of the problem with these viruses is that their scope is unknown- it’s only in the aftermath that it’s possible to gauge how bad it is.  There’s also the problem of mutation and the lack of treatments and vaccines.  This is an interesting take on the problem that I was reading yesterday:- 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51804294

I think there were panics over each of the infectious diseases when they were new. Or were there regional differences? I remember people avoiding pork and chicken. When I traveled to one of the mildly affected areas during the outbreak of SARS, people around me seriously tried to stop me. On my way back, my flight was delayed for the sanitization of the airplane. One of the passengers of its previous flight showed a symptom. When an airport staff announced it, I heard loud oh nooooes everywhere. They didn't trust the sanitization and secretly wanted to fly on another airplane. And the airline company didn't trust the sanitization either because we had to fill the questionnaire nevertheless and were asked to monitor ourselves after we got home. Fortunately, I didn't become sick after the trip but I voluntarily wore masks for a week at the office in case I had the virus. My colleagues laughingly said that they were losing the memory of my face but never told me to take the mask off because it was silly.

These days, people can travel around the world even more easily than when SARS emerged, and infections spread quicker while we still need time to develop vaccines and test kits. Panicking doesn't help, but underestimating the unknown doesn't make things any better.

On 3/11/2020 at 5:55 PM, monchan said:

LMAO nothing in France looks "reasonably optimistic" now. They still have time thou, we'll see how things go.

Just a few days ago French people gathered in thousands in squares to either follow the football game live or mock coronavirus dressed as smurfs. They (the people who participates) are seriously idiots.

We started up like that and now everyone's locked up in their own homes. No one is working and who knows how we'll pay for all the expenses.

I'm not that worried for me although I work in the health system and I met several people before locking down the workplace(safe distance and with mask and gloves but still)but I'm more worried about the general situation ,worried that we din't lock everything down soon enough frankly.