Random Thought Theater

Pamigena

4 hours ago, monchan said:

Oh thanks, I just know Mozart had a sister which pursued music at the beginning.

Yeah I think some women did get musical education at early age but their career unfortunately all ended with marriage that they couldn't leave great legacies for future generations like their male counterpart. I suppose only if someone could refuse marriage and determined to commit her life fully to composing that she might get recognition like a men composer, huhm which is kinda unthinkable at that time, while most male composers got married, even many times and wrote music til they died.

Not necessarily. Bądarzewska for example was able to publish her work after marriage. But that was rather an exception.

Female conductors:

https://www.classicfm.com/discover-music/instruments/conductor/best-women-conductors/

being a conductor is an esoteric career choice at the best of times. I mean, it's not like every male musician aspires to that job! Stands to reason that not many women, historically speaking, would get into it either. However, our perception that conductors have always been male up til recently is probably a wrong one. 

46 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Female conductors:

https://www.classicfm.com/discover-music/instruments/conductor/best-women-conductors/

being a conductor is an esoteric career choice at the best of times. I mean, it's not like every male musician aspires to that job! Stands to reason that not many women, historically speaking, would get into it either. However, our perception that conductors have always been male up til recently is probably a wrong one. 

Well, there are many conductor jokes in French, I suppose there are also some in English, I will try to find some. Of course it is funnier if one know their individual character, but it gives a, well, maybe slightly exaggerated idea of their "average" character. We may have then an indication for the reason of there being few female conductors. ;-)
I had listened, a very long time ago, to Jane Glover conducting the London Mozart Players, and it had overcome my, let's say, slight dislike for chamber music.

And I had a relation who really wanted to become a conductor, but it has been a long time I have not had news of hers.

Most conductor jokes I found in English were atrocious. Here are (at the end of the page) some "tailor-made" about Karajan.

https://www.talkclassical.com/15068-most-incredibly-lame-classical-15.html

• 2 weeks later...

National Theatres free play on YouTube today is Antony and Cleopatra with Ralph Fiennes and Sophie Okenedo.  I was lucky enough to see it live and it was excellent- both for the performances and the always inventive use of the Olivier Theatre’s revolving stage.  It will be online for a week.

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

I had tickets for this exhibition which sadly won’t get used now- at least the v&a has made it accessible online.

And I wanted to come over for the May break to see it too. My friends expressly wanted me to, knowing my interest towards things Japanese now. 

12 hours ago, Sombreuil said:

I had tickets for this exhibition which sadly won’t get used now- at least the v&a has made it accessible online.

oh my....the beauty of it!

V&A really has an amazing collection of videos....not like being there in person of curse but it's a joy to browse through it!

• 2 weeks later...

I envy your ability - taking the clippers in hand again this weekend- 🙏🏻 Let the hairdressers reopen before I have to do it again.......

52 minutes ago, Figure_Frenzy said:

Y'all won't be able to see it anyway LOL but last Tuesday I just had my annual summer haircut (yeah I cut it myself, has always been, even before quarantine times 😂😂) and I feel like this is my best (self)haircut I have so far 😏😎💇

:congratualtions: and :bow::bow::bow:

I've just ordered hairpins to go on without having to cut it myself... (I considered buying a hair clipper but could not become confident enough...:13877886:)

I grew my hair last year so pinning a bit more up is no hardship - turning the men out looking like 1900s gangers is more of a problem - at least most are working from home .