Random Thought Theater

Pamigena

On 7/29/2020 at 3:02 AM, Glory said:

Aww your squirrels are so so cute!! I've see online that there are places that have black squirrels that have the ear tufts. Do you have black ones too? 

Our squirrels here in the US aren't as cute as yours but I still think they're kinda cute as long as they aren't making noise in our attic. We have chipmunks too. I love them. 

Martens sound like a really annoying animal to have around. Sounds like living with monkeys!

No I haven't seen black here yet! I think they are rare. We only have the red ones, and they are really cute and harmless. <3 

Chipmunks are also cute, sadly we don't have them here. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve killed gazillions of hours this summer watching a YouTube channel called Abroad in Japan. It’s made by an English guy, Chris Broad, who started it in 2012 when he started to work in Yamagata, north Japan, as an English teacher, whose passion was film-making, and then he proceeded to be a full-time YouTuber, based in Sendai, of all places, and travelling around Japan and showing the aspects I wouldn’t have learnt otherwise (love hotels? The Bunny Island?!) He also made a quite serious documentary film about the consequences of 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami or a full-time movie about his friend Natsuki. His work grew quite professional: excellent shots, dry English sense of humour, tact and respect to people and situations where needed, excellent camera work (he got himself a drone camera), openness to interaction with his subscribers, and what is nice he doesn’t stick to only well-known areas, but also goes to hidden places showing their beauty. I highly recommend it if you want to fill the void now... 

2 minutes ago, Fay said:

I’ve killed gazillions of hours this summer watching a YouTube channel called Abroad in Japan. It’s made by an English guy, Chris Broad, who started it in 2012 when he started to work in Yamagata, north Japan, as an English teacher, whose passion was film-making, and then he proceeded to be a full-time YouTuber, based in Sendai, of all places, and travelling around Japan and showing the aspects I wouldn’t have learnt otherwise (love hotels? The Bunny Island?!) He also made a quite serious documentary film about the consequences of 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami or a full-time movie about his friend Natsuki. His work grew quite professional: excellent shots, dry English sense of humour, tact and respect to people and situations where needed, excellent camera work (he got himself a drone camera), openness to interaction with his subscribers, and what is nice he doesn’t stick to only well-known areas, but also goes to hidden places showing their beauty. I highly recommend it if you want to fill the void now... 

I like his channel, I also watched some of his videos in the past months. He does great videos, I think my favourite from what I've seen was about the Tohoku earthquake but I haven't seen many of them. His humour is great.

1 minute ago, sallycinnamon said:

I like his channel, I also watched some of his videos in the past months. He does great videos, I think my favourite from what I've seen was about the Tohoku earthquake but I haven't seen many of them. His humour is great.

His Journey across Japan series, which he made by travelling by bike, is just sensational. So funny and educational too. I know he only scratches the surface, but I hadn’t known anything in the first place, so it was so interesting to see. 
His Tōhoku Earthquake documentary just shows how well he can handle serious stuff. What I enjoy about his films is that they are usually not 100 percent concentrated on him only. He does show things about Japan, and he can be quite critical of some aspects (Japanese TV). 

3 hours ago, Fay said:

Thank you for the tip, which may be quite interesting not only to me but also to a close relative who used to visit Japan every other year, and who is now locked in New South Wales, Australia. (Though it is quite large in itself; and there are Japanese groceries etc.)

By the way, the "Swiss ryokan", in Hasenberg near Zurich, Switzerland, seems to be closed now. :weeping:

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/11/2020 at 2:43 AM, Fay said:

I love his channel! I'm sad as I've watched almost all of them and have to wait for new ones 😔 

• 1 month later...
On 8/11/2020 at 3:43 AM, Fay said:

I've watched him for a while now. I love his channel. 

If you like him, he has a whole group of YouTuber friends who also do J-vlogs. You should especially check out Tokyo Lens, by Norm Nakamura. Norm is a true camera man and lets the scenery do all the talking...his videos are top notch film quality and a visual feast. 

It is about an entirely fictitious sport called "skate-leading," which is a team sport. A team consists of five skaters. There are three positions called, "lead," "wing," and "guard." Each team has to have at least one skater for each position. "Lead" is the point-getter who has to do many combination jumps. "Wing" is the one being in the air while twist lifts, etc. "Guard" seems to be the one who lifts and makes their performance better with their foot-work? I am not sure. Their performance will be judged by 9 judges, with a help of some camera-type automatic measurement system.

...you know it's a weird feeling when a Member of a Band that is normally very very private about his private life suddenly does a conversation style Interview together with the son everyone knew he had from his brief first marriage in the early 90s. And surprise that son is the Young Author who just won the Akutagawa prize this summer...

Anyways congrats to Haruka Tono for the Akutagawa prize and congrats to Atsushi Sakurai for the bragging rights.

On 10/9/2020 at 8:07 AM, Sayu93 said:

...you know it's a weird feeling when a Member of a Band that is normally very very private about his private life suddenly does a conversation style Interview together with the son everyone knew he had from his brief first marriage in the early 90s. And surprise that son is the Young Author who just won the Akutagawa prize this summer...

Anyways congrats to Haruka Tono for the Akutagawa prize and congrats to Atsushi Sakurai for the bragging rights.

Isn't it also beautiful that the father's band is still very active, with none of the original members missing?
All of my favorite bands have broken up after playing together for about 10 years... It sounds a bit like a miracle that the vocalist has a big son and is still touring and recording with the band he and his friends made when they were teenagers.