General Yuzuru Chat

39 minutes ago, Paskud said:

In interview after this year ACI. Don't ask me which one - too many he had.

And I absolutely can't wait when he will finally do in competition 3a from standstill.:D

He'll make it his opening jump  - from the start position at center ice right into the judges' faces....

but wait. No steps going in = lower GOE :emoticonaci2019_2:

48 minutes ago, SuzyQ said:

JSF has announced the details of the Nationals  (Dec. 19-22)

Another bloody ticket battle is to begin  :worship: :smiley-angelic001: :bow:

https://skatingjapan.or.jp/common/img/event/19AllJapan_summary_information0929.pdf

The website page has just started:

http://ajfigure.jp/

But I think I can see my future after the lottery :smiley-sick030:

Good luck in the wars!

3 hours ago, Henni147 said:

It would fit Yuzu's story of quad jumps actually:

Land the 4X+3A sequence in practice/jump battle first, then try the solo quad in competition.

Successful 4S+3A sequence in "The Ice 2012" ---> first competitive 4S in the 12/13 season.

Successful 4Lo+3A sequence at WTT 2015 gala ---> first competitive 4Lo in the 16/17 season.

I'm not 100% sure about 4T and 4Lz, but considering that he could land 4S+3A in 2012, the 4T+3A sequence must have been there in 10/11 or even earlier. I'm pretty sure that he could also land 4Lz+3A in practice, before he introduced the 4Lz at COR 2017 in competition.

So my bet for the 4A: Yuzu considers it as "good enough" as soon as he lands 4A+3A sequence in practice  :notamused:

It's actually a good litmus test. He can only do a decent 3A out of a jump if the jump is landed well, so he can step smoothly right into the Axel. So as soon as he can do 3A out of a certain quad, it means the quad must have a good landing. And the landing is the last thing he perfects after getting the takeoff and the rotations right. So a successful -3A SEQ means the whole first jump is of good quality.

Of course, -3A SEQ is a litmus test only Yuzuru Hanyu would use, but whatever works for him :laughing:

4 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

IIRC, he said flip-axel, so it wasn't 100% clear, but given the way he usually talks about his jumps, it does seem most likely he meant 4F-3A, but he didn't actually say quad flip triple axel which only just confused everyone lol

Well, Brian called Yuzu's 4T+3A sequence "Toe-Axel". So it's very likely that "Flip-Axel" is the TCC code for 4F+3A+seq.

#footnote: It's a sin to call any of Yuzu's jumps "Toe-Axel" imo. It feels so terribly wrong...

3 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

He'll make it his opening jump  - from the start position at center ice right into the judges' faces....

but wait. No steps going in = lower GOE :emoticonaci2019_2:

Well. There is no other jump entry in the world that fits the criterium "unexpected entry" better, aye?  :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

There is a much bigger problem with a 3A from the opening position than the entry bullet. The judges are so surprised that they miss the jump as a whole and give 0 GOE again.

EDIT: it would be fun to see a spin in the opening position that accelerates with the music and builds up the suspense. We have so many final spins, but barely any opening spins. Skaters could really stand out with that layout.

Doing a 3A from a standstill when beginning a skate, can also be accomplished by doing a 3A when coming out of a spin.  I don't know if that is possible but if anyone can do it, Yuzu can, since he is widely regarded as one of the best spinners today (and has been forever).  

10 minutes ago, micaelis said:

Doing a 3A from a standstill when beginning a skate, can also be accomplished by doing a 3A when coming out of a spin.  I don't know if that is possible but if anyone can do it, Yuzu can, since he is widely regarded as one of the best spinners today (and has been forever).  

I feel dizzy just reading this  

Doing a 3A from a standstill is a bit of fun, fooling around with friends.  His pride is in beautiful skating with gorgeous jumps all of which are timed to the music .  The problem is that ISU have shortened the FS to the extent that it’s difficult to achieve that perfect meld of tech and ‘artistry’ ( hard to think of the right word, that’s not perfect but it will do for now) , but he will do his utmost to show just that. Only hope his ankle will hold out ....

10 hours ago, Henni147 said:

it would be fun to see a spin in the opening position that accelerates with the music and builds up the suspense. We have so many final spins, but barely any opening spins. Skaters could really stand out with that layout.

That actually would be pretty neat, but what kind of music would you have to use to make an opening like that work? Not many pieces begin with the kind of musical flourish that suits a spin.

2 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

That actually would be pretty neat, but what kind of music would you have to use to make an opening like that work? Not many pieces begin with the kind of musical flourish that suits a spin.

This is a bit OT, so I put it in spoilers:

Spoiler

I think there are multiple instrumental music pieces that would work quite well with an accelerating opening spin actually.

One example that I had in mind is the piece "Danuvius" by Audiomachine. Danuvius is the God and protector of the river Danube and the music describes its journey through Europe.

It makes sense to visualize the spring/source of the river by a local opening spin that starts slowly and rotates faster and faster. Later on the skater portrays Danuvius, how she follows the river's course (a paradise for nice deep edge work), churns and tames the water (big jump elements) and finally comes to rest, when the Danube flows into the Black Sea (finish with a nice sit spin or sth.)

It’s also so dramatic a certain guy from japan may just love it😜

I’ve always  thought skaters finish with very fast spins because it’s like going out with a bang and also because even if they are trained to do so it still may take them a couple of seconds to recover ?

But I really liked Rika for example didn’t ended her program with those spins last year ,it makes things a little bit more interesting.