General Yuzuru Chat

4 hours ago, fyere0 said:

The colours look so different in that lighting vs. ACI! It will be interesting to see the costume in a better-lit arena and with higher-def cameras. I imagine in award ceremony or show lights the purple will really pop out.

Oh, so in the end I did 'jinx' it right...

At ACI, for the SP, I wore my blue parade tshirt and the SP costume was blue. Then for the LP, I wore the purple one. And the costume was black, and it was a bit of an oh well lol but now it turns out there really is purple in that costume LOL

On 10/31/2018 at 1:14 PM, Salior said:

I translated the whole excerpt from the Chinese source, please let me know if there's any better translations I can put in! 

https://yuzuru-hanyu-central.tumblr.com/post/179628174489/team-brian-translations-yuzurus-tribute-to     [twitter link]

Brian Orser’s father passed away on 3rd March 2017, he didn’t tell anyone about it, and continued to work at TCC as if nothing happened. 

“Yuzuru seemed to notice something different about me, which is quite remarkable. Usually during practice, Yuzuru is very focused on himself, paying attention to the training content, his own body, or the techniques, so during practice he wouldn’t normally talk with other skaters or rest. But at that time, Yuzuru would observe my expression and empathise with me. Yuzuru had been through the earthquake disaster in Japan, perhaps that’s why he is so sensitive to others’ loss. So at that time as I felt heavy-hearted, Yuzuru felt the same, and he’d watch me from far away as I secretly grieve/let out a sigh. 

At the beginning, I thought Yuzuru’s sensitivity was my own imagination, after all I was so upset that my worldview changed. More importantly, for Yuzuru and Javier, the World Championships before the Olympic Games is approaching, and our conversations would revolve around the competition. For Yuzuru, winning the title of the the Defending World Champion before the Olympics is very important, and Yuzuru really did it. I’m so proud of him. There’s nothing better than this leading to the Olympic Games. 

Both of them participated in the gala. Usually I’d leave early without watching the gala, but this time I watched both their performances at the rink site. 

Yuzuru’s exhibition is the swan-themed “Notte Stellata”. It’s choreographed by David Wilson, one of our choreographers in Team Brian, for the jumps there’s only a single axel and a triple axel. It’s done such that everyone will be able to enjoy Yuzuru’s gorgeous skating, it’s a stunning program. The program depicts a dying swan spreading its wings once again, till that day Yuzuru skated it with the image of the recovery of the disaster area in mind. That day, Yuzuru portrayed a white swan that is more beautiful and gentle than any other. 

Later, something surprising happened. After the performance, Yuzuru returned to the rink site, and told me “I was thinking about Brian’s father while skating”. 

Yuzuru performed a tribute to my late father. I was surprised that Yuzuru who usually doesn’t talk much, expressed condolence to my father with such clarity. From this program, he conveyed the message to me so that I can cheer up/pull myself together again. For me, who still haven’t gotten over my father’s death, that moment brought a very big change from the bottom of my heart. 

It’s been 6 years since I worked with Yuzuru as a coach and student. I thought that we understood each other and formed the strongest team, but this was the first time it made me feel that Yuzuru is actually supporting me by my side. 

The 2nd Olympic Games that Yuzuru will face together with me is approaching in 10 months. For the upcoming Olympic Games, I’ve resolved from the bottom of my heart, that no matter how difficult things may come in our way, I will stride forward with Yuzuru. 

Of course I never would’ve thought that I would experience such an epic Olympic season. Not just as a coach - as a friend, a human being, I will promise to support Yuzuru the best I can.”

Some Weibo comments that I thought was heartfelt: 

"People often talk about empathy, it seemed like it's a psychological term. A person who is sensitive, would gently, silently think about you, they won't rush up to you to comfort you, but they would show their concern through their actions. Someone who doesn't make you feel smothered at all, he might really be an angel, else how would every fibre of him show such kindness and gentleness." 

"Those who are sensitive are often fragile, as a protect mechanism they often isolate themselves when they are sad, but never once did he ignore the distress of those around him. A twenty-plus year old person, from where did he get so much love and kindness..." 

Thank you @sweetwater for suggesting some translation improvements! 

My thoughts on the matter: 

Tries not to cry.... cries :tumblr_inline_n18qr8XewT1qid2nw:

I myself sometimes wondered if Yuzu was the type of person who focuses too much on himself while training and kinda isolates himself as well. But this was beautiful to read. It seems he is no that isolated he just prefers to look for people on the shadows kinda.

12 minutes ago, Sammie said:

Looking at these two preaching the truths

Regarding #3, I honestly dont know how he can still peak. I really wonder if say he isnt retiring any time soon, will we get to see that Yuzuru surpassing Yuzuru moment again like how he did from 2014 to 2015? Literally took the sport and himself to a new level with Seimei and Chopin. Not just about getting consistently high scores or winning a competition, but actually improve. I mean I guess its hard because he is already maxing out his PCs and after so many injuries, other than his goals of landing the 4T3A and 4A, I dont know think they could go higher than a 4 clean quads and 2 triple axels combos. Not sure if quint is a possible jump for now and I dont think we will see it in his competitive career. To surpass himself, what do you think he can do anymore. Another thing is, even if he could still surpass himself, I'm afraid judges still wont give him what he would deserve unless even if he shows intention in competing for the next Olympic season. 

I always think of that interview about wanting to skate to different music - we’ve heard the comment that he loves to skate from practically everyone closely involved with his career and when he does shows he seems to be enjoying himself, but there isn’t that edge you see in competition which is where I think he gets true satisfaction.  As for the judges - I’m beginning to think that fuels him further - if they showered him with points he probably wouldn’t be so fired up.

I also think that music he wants to use might surprise people - Phantom, my much maligned Phantom was his choice after all - so was R&J 2.  I think his taste in music for his programmes is quite catholic and less about his personal musical tastes than what would be good/dramatic/ impressive to skate to.

3 hours ago, makebelieveup said:

Looking at these two preaching the truths

Regarding #3, I honestly dont know how he can still peak. I really wonder if say he isnt retiring any time soon, will we get to see that Yuzuru surpassing Yuzuru moment again like how he did from 2014 to 2015? Literally took the sport and himself to a new level with Seimei and Chopin. Not just about getting consistently high scores or winning a competition, but actually improve. I mean I guess its hard because he is already maxing out his PCs and after so many injuries, other than his goals of landing the 4T3A and 4A, I dont know think they could go higher than a 4 clean quads and 2 triple axels combos. Not sure if quint is a possible jump for now and I dont think we will see it in his competitive career. To surpass himself, what do you think he can do anymore. Another thing is, even if he could still surpass himself, I'm afraid judges still wont give him what he would deserve unless even if he shows intention in competing for the next Olympic season. 

I get the impression, from reading his interviews etc, that Yuzu himself thinks there's lots more he can do. He probably has a vision of "the perfect skate" that he won't quit until he can make the vision real.  I say, go Yuzu go! He's going to transcend everything we ever thought skating could be.

4 hours ago, Sombreuil said:

I also think that music he wants to use might surprise people - Phantom, my much maligned Phantom was his choice after all - so was R&J 2.  I think his taste in music for his programmes is quite catholic and less about his personal musical tastes than what would be good/dramatic/ impressive to skate to.

He has an impeccable sense of the dramatic, in music, in his programs, even in life...

So now is East Coast 00:49 am, and I am supposed to lie on the bed 1hr before. But here I am, still clean-head and don't want to sleep at all!!! Partly because I just finished my homework, and partly because in 6 hrs I am going to be nervous to death. How can I manage such a dramatic Fanyu life? 🙂

9 minutes ago, Anzi said:

So now is East Coast 00:49 am, and I am supposed to lie on the bed 1hr before. But here I am, still clean-head and don't want to sleep at all!!! Partly because I just finished my homework, and partly because in 6 hrs I am going to be nervous to death. How can I manage such a dramatic Fanyu life? 🙂

West Coast time is manageable, but I doubt that I can manage to sleep before time’s up!  It’s the familiar path we choose... Ah, the life of fanyu! I’ve never imagine it would be mine!