General Yuzuru Chat

6 minutes ago, yuzuchara said:

And hoping yuzu will be joined their next video call with brian orser (then maybe the video wont be shared to public :) )

He won't.

Like Javier(!) said: Yuzuru is a mystery and he will always be a mystery because he likes it like that.

Here is a translation of Yuzu's latest interview by Ice Jewels magazine (Apr 2020) that I have translated from Mandarin source. It was translated from Japanese to Mandarin quite literally, so I tried my best to do the same from Mandarin to English, translating every word so as not to lose the nuances. Because neither Japanese nor Mandarin have tenses, so I used present/past tense here according to the context. For those who have read it in Japanese, feel free to point out any mistakes/inaccuracies! Thank you!

There aren't too many new info this time, but it's like a more detailed version of things that he has said before in the season. I find it very interesting, hope you all can enjoy the same!

Yuzuru Hanyu x Ice Jewels: To surpass myself is to become my better self

Because the last competition of the season - Worlds - was suspended, the 2019/20 season has come to an abrupt end. This was a season where Hanyu won competitions that he has not won before. The victory at 4CC resulted in him achieving a Super Slam, leaving behind glorious records and memories. Through this interview, Hanyu looked back at this season, and at the same time talked about his aspirations for the next season.

About winning 4CC

--- Upon winning 4CC, does Hanyu have any special thoughts?

I really wanted to be able to get the 4CC gold medal, I feel very happy to have won it. Although probably Worlds & Olympic titles are the titles that should have been won last, but in this season, by winning my first Skate Canada's gold medal etc, I have completed the task that has been up until now. More importantly, I had already won a 4CC silver medal at the age of 16, but from then on it had been tough ride to get the gold medal. I feel, I finally got the gold medal, that's really nice. 

--- When the Japanese Nationals 2019 was over, you said it had been hard to pull yourself back together. How were you feeling after the Nationals? How did you rearrange yourself? Please discuss in detail.

It could be due to the succession of the 3 competitions (NHK - GPF - JNats). I was generally tired, probably. I was thinking this way while getting through that period of time. I had always been putting pressure on myself, there wasn't time to recover, emotionally and physically, so I just followed my heart and did as I please during that period. Did not really take notice of / care for anything in particular, basically don't really remember how I lived through it anymore....

The 'SEIMEI' & 'Ballade No.1' that was unique to the moment (4CC)

--- About the decision to change programs, especially to repeat SEIMEI and Ballade No.1, two programs that have reached completion, was there any hesitation and uneasiness? Besides, what made you determined to change the programs?

About SEIMEI, although there was a slight thought of 'completing the program without being able to include both 4Lz and 4Lo in the layout', but these two programs, in a certain sense, are programs that I consider had been completed properly. However, I did not feel a loss of motivation (because of this) at all, or shall I say, I would like to make these programs better than they were before. I was thinking, was there anything that could only be done with my current self, was there anything that I wanted to express, any content that I wanted to skate. 

Of course I had uneasiness. Whether or not (the judges) approve of this program, to boil it down, I am not sure even now. The judges are human. Whether or not it would get the recognition it did in 2015, it could only be found out from the competition results. The judging system is different now, it's not possible to surpass the past performance without bringing out an excellent performance, this is for sure. Besides, (underperforming) would spoil the program, I also had this feeling. 

However, I really wanted to skate these two programs. This frame of mind has been motivating me from behind since training started. I wanted to use a difficult layout that is even closer to the limit than before, to present SEIMEI and Ballade No.1 that could only be done with my current self. 

--- The short program Ballade No.1 at 4CC was exceptionally performed. In the past, you said before (that skating to this) was like transforming yourself into the pianist's breathing, the sound of the keys to execute the performance. What kind of mood did you perform it with this time?

This time, I skated with the feeling of moving my body with the music notes that I hear in my mind. All the music notes, tones permeated my body. As I was feeling the rhythm of the music, I let my body dance along with it. Of course, I was nervous for the jumps and difficult elements, and there were many places where focus was needed to complete (the elements), but I felt I had handed over 80% of my consciousness to the music.

--- About the free skate SEIMEI, the program duration was reduced by 30 seconds. In order to not spoil the outlook of the program, when adjusting the program, which parts of it were placed extra attention to?

Generally, I didn't want to spoil the flow of the music and the program, this kind of thought was very strong, therefore did not cut out parts that had left a deep impression on people. Although there was a part where the tempo was sped up to shorten the length of the program, but even after accelerating the tempo, one of the significances of me skating to this program is that (this program has) a rhythm that belongs to me, I was very careful not to spoil my own rhythm in the part where the tempo was accelerated. If the change in tempo was too much, the essence of me skating to this program would have become different.

--- What were the intentions behind the jumps layout for the new SEIMEI? Especially the inclusion of four jumps in the first minute. Within that included (jumps with) no set-up, 3A was followed by 3F with just turns, the jump layout that only Hanyu is able to do. Please talk about the turning point when the idea of this layout was born.

Firstly, I wanted to do my best to value the music that forms the program. The program was rearranged based on this premise. I didn't want to change the rhythm of the first half of the program, and I also wanted to place, in the second half of the program, only three jumps that are able to achieve positive GOEs. Therefore, had to add a jump somewhere in the first half of the program, and the solution I figured out was to jump 3F at that point. Although the possibility of placing 3Lo or 3Lz was also considered, but I believed the jump that won't interrupt the music and rhythm there was 3F. Shae-Lynn had a full picture of the program after the revision was done, she was also satisfied, therefore this layout was decided.

--- What was it that could only be expressed after having skated Otonal and Origin?

Though Otonal was a piano piece, it was also an orchestral music. I tried to express Otonal as a music piece completed with the piano as the core, tried to feel every kind of sounds. In Ballade No.1, exactly because I had attempted to express Otonal's orchestral music before, I had a deeper feeling towards the echos, transparency, spread and propagation of the pure piano notes. Origin, on the other hand, was performed by integrating a vigorous gush of power from the ground. This had always been the mainstay of executing my performance in this program. While I was running forwards non-stop, I felt that the power had become my core. In SEIMEI, maybe while receiving this power and energy, I had to let everything be within my own control, only then it'll be ok. I was hoping that the program was not about continuously releasing its full energy, but through the program, displaying an impression of being able to float in the sky, surveying the overall situation, although having both feet on the ground.

The achievements of this season, the goals for the next season

--- Since the Grand Prix series, Hanyu had been changing jump layout through competitions, participated in the Grand Prix series, Grand Prix Final, Japanese Nationals. What kind of rewards did you get from them?

I think the biggest reward was precisely no injury. If I force myself towards my best form when the body was in poor condition to adjust the peaking, it would result in a prolonged case of bodily functions not being able to keep up, and mentally not having any room to deal with things calmly. However, in this season, I adjusted very well.

--- Please talk about the results of the trainings etc for injury prevention that had been done up until now.

I started to know it was already almost enough if I force myself to this extent, started to know where the line is. It's just, if I don't go beyond that line, then I won't achieve any growth, I also understand this. Therefore, I started to think, little by little, about when it's ok to go over that line, when it's not ok to go over that line.

--- Worlds has been cancelled, but how was the training results in the timeframe between the end of 4CC and Worlds? Was there any results / experience that connects to the next season? 

I felt I trained by paying more attention to skating skills and jump transitions during trainings. Although it's difficult to say that it's been completed, but I felt that if I train by firmly paying attention to skating skills and jump transitions, then in the next season (we will be) seeing a different scenery probably.

--- Was your training and life in Canada affected by Covid-19? Was there anything you need to pay attention to?

I washed my hands and gargled very carefully and thoroughly. Besides, when getting home after finishing trainings, I would also sterilise and disinfect various things. (Covid-19's) impact on training was not huge.

--- In the coming off season, is there any training content that you would like to try specially because you're in the off season?

I hope to spend time doing the Axel jump practice. Because to train a new jump during the competitive season is very difficult. Also, my training base has been closed. Although the situation has become very difficult, I intend to put effort in off-ice training etc, lay a solid foundation.

--- For the next season, the idea of the program, the image of the music. Please, within the possible limits, tell us about it.

I intend to use new programs. Although I don't know how much time is needed until the 4A is trained to the degree where it can be included in a program, but I want to strive hard with this as a goal as well in the next season. Regarding the music and program, I do not have a concrete image yet. However, I hope to be able to make programs that are meaningful to me.  

--- About 4A, in the GPF, you showed everyone 4A for the first time. At that time, what were your thoughts and feelings of revealing 4A to the public for the first time in the arena?

Although I was very nervous, but because I was jumping in front of everyone, I slightly looked forward to whether it could be successful. It felt very pleasant to attempt to leap over the limit barrier.

--- How is the completion of the 4A now?

Starting to be able to fully rotate, starting to be able to jump with a more relaxed form a little bit. Because 4A is not (something that) can be trained everyday, so it can be considered that, bit by bit, the body is able to specifically sense the image of a successful 4A.

--- Did the training of 4A affect other jumps?

After training 4A, because it's quite energy consuming, the intensity and focus of other trainings have somewhat decreased. On this, I did trainings by setting my priorities clear.

--- Lastly, please talk about aspirations for the next season and a message for the fans.

In this season as well, thank you very much to everyone for your support for me until the end. Now, everyone is experiencing the same difficulties because of Covid-19. Everyone, please take care. Facing the next season, including the training of 4A, I will also continue to work hard to train. 

2 hours ago, monchan said:

Wow these holy commentators EXISTED!

It seems like the guy was Peter Carruthers, former NBC commentator. If only someone could do an interview on his take about figure skating scoring corruption and write an article about it, thatd be some tea. I looked him up and he has a facebook

35 minutes ago, MatchaBeans said:

Here is a translation of Yuzu's latest interview by Ice Jewels magazine (Apr 2020) that I have translated from Mandarin source. It was translated from Japanese to Mandarin quite literally, so I tried my best to do the same from Mandarin to English, translating every words so as not to lose the nuances. Because neither Japanese nor Mandarin have tenses, so I used present/past tense here according to the context. For those who have read it in Japanese, feel free to point out any mistakes/inaccuracies! Thank you!

There aren't too many new info this time, but it's like a more detailed version of things that he has said before in the season. I find it very interesting, hope you all can enjoy the same!

Yuzuru Hanyu x Ice Jewels: To surpass myself is to become my better self

Because the last competition of the season - Worlds - was suspended, the 2019/20 season has come to an abrupt end. This was a season where Hanyu won competitions that he has not won before. The victory at 4CC resulted in him achieving a Super Slam, leaving behind glorious records and memories. Through this interview, Hanyu looked back at this season, and at the same time talked about his aspirations for the next season.

About winning 4CC

--- Upon winning 4CC, does Hanyu have any special thoughts?

I really wanted to be able to get the 4CC gold medal, I feel very happy to have won it. Although probably Worlds & Olympic titles are the titles that should have been won last, but in this season, by winning my first Skate Canada's gold medal etc, I have completed the task that has been up until now. More importantly, I had already won a 4CC silver medal at the age of 16, but from then on it had been tough ride to get the gold medal. I feel, I finally got the gold medal, that's really nice. 

--- When the Japanese Nationals 2019 was over, you said it had been hard to pull yourself back together. How were you feeling after the Nationals? How did you rearrange yourself? Please discuss in detail.

It could be due to the succession of the 3 competitions (NHK - GPF - JNats). I was generally tired, probably. I was thinking this way while getting through that period of time. I had always been putting pressure on myself, there wasn't time to recover, emotionally and physically, so I just followed my heart and did as I please during that period. Did not really take notice of / care for anything in particular, basically don't really remember how I lived through it anymore....

The 'SEIMEI' & 'Ballade No.1' that was unique to the moment (4CC)

--- About the decision to change programs, especially to repeat SEIMEI and Ballade No.1, two programs that have reached completion, was there any hesitation and uneasiness? Besides, what made you determined to change the programs?

About SEIMEI, although there was a slight thought of 'completing the program without being able to include both 4Lz and 4Lo in the layout', but these two programs, in a certain sense, are programs that I consider had been completed properly. However, I did not feel a loss of motivation (because of this) at all, or shall I say, I would like to make these programs better than they were before. I was thinking, was there anything that could only be done with my current self, was there anything that I wanted to express, any content that I wanted to skate. 

Of course I had uneasiness. Whether or not (the judges) approve of this program, to boil it down, I am not sure even now. The judges are human. Whether or not it would get the recognition it did in 2015, it could only be found out from the competition results. The judging system is different now, it's not possible to surpass the past performance without bringing out an excellent performance, this is for sure. Besides, (underperforming) would spoil the program, I also had this feeling. 

However, I really wanted to skate these two programs. This frame of mind has been motivating me from behind since training started. I wanted to use a difficult layout that is even closer to the limit than before, to present SEIMEI and Ballade No.1 that could only be done with my current self. 

--- The short program Ballade No.1 at 4CC was exceptionally performed. In the past, you said before (that skating to this) was like transforming yourself into the pianist's breathing, the sound of the keys to execute the performance. What kind of mood did you perform it with this time?

This time, I skated with the feeling of moving my body with the music notes that I hear in my mind. All the music notes, tones permeated my body. As I was feeling the rhythm of the music, I let my body dance along with it. Of course, I was nervous for the jumps and difficult elements, and there were many places where focus was needed to complete (the elements), but I felt I had handed over 80% of my consciousness to the music.

--- About the free skate SEIMEI, the program duration was reduced by 30 seconds. In order to not spoil the outlook of the program, when adjusting the program, which parts of it were placed extra attention to?

Generally, I didn't want to spoil the flow of the music and the program, this kind of thought was very strong, therefore did not cut out parts that had left a deep impression on people. Although there was a part where the tempo was sped up to shorten the length of the program, but even after accelerating the tempo, one of the significances of me skating to this program is that (this program has) a rhythm that belongs to me, I was very careful not to spoil my own rhythm in the part where the tempo was accelerated. If the change in tempo was too much, the essence of me skating to this program would have become different.

--- What were the intentions behind the jumps layout for the new SEIMEI? Especially the inclusion of four jumps in the first minute. Within that included (jumps with) no set-up, 3A was followed by 3F with just turns, the jump layout that only Hanyu is able to do. Please talk about the turning point when the idea of this layout was born.

Firstly, I wanted to do my best to value the music that forms the program. The program was rearranged based on this premise. I didn't want to change the rhythm of the first half of the program, and I also wanted to place, in the second half of the program, only three jumps that are able to achieve positive GOEs. Therefore, had to add a jump somewhere in the first half of the program, and the solution I figured out was to jump 3F at that point. Although the possibility of placing 3Lo or 3Lz was also considered, but I believed the jump that won't interrupt the music and rhythm there was 3F. Shae-Lynn had a full picture of the program after the revision was done, she was also satisfied, therefore this layout was decided.

--- What was it that could only be expressed after having skated Otonal and Origin?

Though Otonal was a piano piece, it was also an orchestral music. I tried to express Otonal as a music piece completed with the piano as the core, tried to feel every kind of sounds. In Ballade No.1, exactly because I had attempted to express Otonal's orchestral music before, I had a deeper feeling towards the echos, transparency, spread and propagation of the pure piano notes. Origin, on the other hand, was performed by integrating a vigorous gush of power from the ground. This had always been the mainstay of executing my performance in this program. While I was running forwards non-stop, I felt that the power had become my core. In SEIMEI, maybe while receiving this power and energy, I had to let everything be within my own control, only then it'll be ok. I was hoping that the program was not about continuously releasing its full energy, but through the program, displaying an impression of being able to float in the sky, surveying the overall situation, although having both feet on the ground.

The achievements of this season, the goals for the next season

--- Since the Grand Prix series, Hanyu had been changing jump layout through competitions, participated in the Grand Prix series, Grand Prix Final, Japanese Nationals. What kind of rewards did you get from them?

I think the biggest reward was precisely no injury. If I force myself towards my best form when the body was in poor condition to adjust the peaking, it would result in a prolonged case of bodily functions not being able to keep up, and mentally not having any room to deal with things calmly. However, in this season, I adjusted very well.

--- Please talk about the results of the trainings etc for injury prevention that had been done up until now.

I started to know it was already almost enough if I force myself to this extent, started to know where the line is. It's just, if I don't go beyond that line, then I won't achieve any growth, I also understand this. Therefore, I started to think, little by little, about when it's ok to go over that line, when it's not ok to go over that line.

--- Worlds has been cancelled, but how was the training results in the timeframe between the end of 4CC and Worlds? Was there any results / experience that connects to the next season? 

I felt I trained by paying more attention to skating skills and jump transitions during trainings. Although it's difficult to say that it's been completed, but I felt that if I train by firmly paying attention to skating skills and jump transitions, then in the next season (we will be) seeing a different scenery probably.

--- Was your training and life in Canada affected by Covid-19? Was there anything you need to pay attention to?

I washed my hands and gargled very carefully and thoroughly. Besides, when getting home after finishing trainings, I would also sterilise and disinfect various things. (Covid-19's) impact on training was not huge.

--- In the coming off season, is there any training content that you would like to try specially because you're in the off season?

I hope to spend time doing the Axel jump practice. Because to train a new jump during the competitive season is very difficult. Also, my training base has been closed. Although the situation has become very difficult, I intend to put effort in off-ice training etc, lay a solid foundation.

--- For the next season, the idea of the program, the image of the music. Please, within the possible limits, tell us about it.

I intend to use new programs. Although I don't know how much time is needed until the 4A is trained to the degree where it can be included in a program, but I want to strive hard with this as a goal as well in the next season. Regarding the music and program, I do not have a concrete image yet. However, I hope to be able to make programs that are meaningful to me.  

--- About 4A, in the GPF, you showed everyone 4A for the first time. At that time, what were your thoughts and feelings of revealing 4A to the public for the first time in the arena?

Although I was very nervous, but because I was jumping in front of everyone, I slightly looked forward to whether it could be successful. It felt very pleasant to attempt to leap over the limit barrier.

--- How is the completion of the 4A now?

Starting to be able to fully rotate, starting to be able to jump with a more relaxed form a little bit. Because 4A is not (something that) can be trained everyday, so it can be considered that, bit by bit, the body is able to specifically sense the image of a successful 4A.

--- Did the training of 4A affect other jumps?

After training 4A, because it's quite energy consuming, the intensity and focus of other trainings have somewhat decreased. On this, I did trainings by setting my priorities clear.

--- Lastly, please talk about aspirations for the next season and a message for the fans.

In this season as well, thank you very much to everyone for your support for me until the end. Now, everyone is experiencing the same difficulties because of Covid-19. Everyone, please take care. Facing the next season, including the training of 4A, I will also continue to work hard to train. 

Thank youuuuuuu! <3

I hope that for next season, after the Covid-19, Yuzuru will finally choose to skate to 2 new programs, SP and FP.

I am sad that he chooses to repeat programs quite often, especially for the last few years since 2017 and 2018.

He is the star of the sport of Figure Skating, so people looks at him more closely and find out he skates to the same music many times.

For Short programs, since the year 2012, how many SP did he has skate to? Étude for one year 2012, then Parisian Walkway for 2 seasons ( 2013, 2014), then Ballade Chopin for 3 seasons (2015, 2016 and Olympic 2018), Let's go Crazy Prince for one season (2017), finally Otonal SP and Origin FP for almost 2 seasons 2018 and 2019, except when he was so disappointed after not so good results in GPF 2019 and Japan National 2019 that he came back to Ballad and Seimei again for 4 Continents and possibly for World 2019 if it was not cancelled.

I think that is not a tactic that will bring him good scores and good support from the judges. 

For the fans, I just want to see him skate to new musics. Just hope that he will let his coaches, his chorégraphers to suggest or bring him some new musics. How many time left before he retired? So please give us new musics and new programs.

27 minutes ago, Vadrouille said:

I hope that for next season, after the Covid-19, Yuzuru will finally choose to skate to 2 new programs, SP and FP.

I am sad that he chooses to repeat programs quite often, especially for the last few years since 2017 and 2018.

He is the star of the sport of Figure Skating, so people looks at him more closely and find out he skates to the same music many times.

For Short programs, since the year 2012, how many SP did he has skate to? Étude for one year 2012, then Parisian Walkway for 2 seasons ( 2013, 2014), then Ballade Chopin for 3 seasons (2015, 2016 and Olympic 2018), Let's go Crazy Prince for one season (2017), finally Otonal SP and Origin FP for almost 2 seasons 2018 and 2019, except when he was so disappointed after not so good results in GPF 2019 and Japan National 2019 that he came back to Ballad and Seimei again for 4 Continents and possibly for World 2019 if it was not cancelled.

I think that is not a tactic that will bring him good scores and good support from the judges. 

For the fans, I just want to see him skate to new musics. Just hope that he will let his coaches, his chorégraphers to suggest or bring him some new musics. How many time left before he retired? So please give us new musics and new programs.

He will, he said so in latest interview.

To be honest there's NO tactics that will bring him support from judge. That's the sad truth. He's just looking for things that make him skate best, last ss w recycled programs or next ss with new programs.

He's an athlete that competes for achievement and result first and foremost. Why do ppl treat him like an entertainer that has to constantly produce new music to be worthy of their job? I get many fans expect new programs, me too, but let's be real, it isnt so important for his result.

18 minutes ago, Vadrouille said:

Let's be honest: How many skaters had 6 different short and 8 different free programs throughout their senior career? And how many different styles of music did Yuzu cover with his 14 different senior programs in total? I think, he earned his right to choose and remaster whatever he likes. He doesn't owe anyone anything, especially not his antis and those ungrateful judges.

Apart from that: If Yuzu comes up with a new music piece, people will mock him that it's the same style as before. If it's an entirely new style, they will bash him for closing his eyes and looking down all the time. If he opens his eyes, they will criticise that his eyes are open. This mockery will never end as long as he puts a foot on the ice. No need to waste a single second on the opinion of these annoying and vicious idiots.

Yuzu said himself: Chopin is like good old wine and cheese that needs its time to mature. Personally, I prefer one or two masterpieces to 20 sloppy throw-away programs anytime. And Yuzu created at least 10 masterpieces throughout his career. We as fans really can't complain. He blessed us with a huge pool of epic performances that we love to watch, rewatch and watch again.

But no need to worry. He promised new programs for the next season and Yuzuru Hanyu is a man of his word.:muahaha:

7 hours ago, BWOZWaltz said:

While Patrick Chan was still Yuzu's big rival, I couldn't appreciate his skating. It's rather pathetic but I just couldn't bring myself to admit that he really had superb skating skills. That changed when I saw his performance at PC. Realising that he's probably retiring after the olympics, his beautiful skating finally broke the ice and I felt his skating with my heart. 

The thing with me with Patrick Chan is there is something about his manner in interviews and all that I find a bit grating. It might be the cockiness that came with being the best for so long (although Denis Ten should have won that world championship and we all know it) and feeling like he didn't have a rival. When I hear his name mentioned in skating talk I don't think about his skating first - I get like a vague, negative feeling of like distaste or something. I don't think he's that bad. It's just a reaction. I do also think he became much more gracious and likeable  after Sochi. I do have to wonder if his complacency from all that judging candy and not taking rivals like Denis Ten and rising star Yuzuru seriously also had its part in Yuzu getting that Sochi gold. I think Yuzu winning 2013 GPF must have made Patrick Chan panic and that he was too unsettled about Yuzu to skate clean at the Olympics. 

Idk, I just always found that he didn't quite have the humility and quiet kind of confidence I like to see - Yuzu and Nathan are great examples of it. They know they're good, they admit to it, but they never take their success for granted and they are encouraging of each other and their  fellow competitors. Men's FS is in a nice place as far as sportsmanship goes right now. 

Not sure of this is the right place, but I had a weird skating dream last night - the Japan Open was being held, but as the Japanese Only because no one else could get into the country. And no one knew if Yuzu would be there because no one (in the dream!) knew which country he was in....

The unnerving part was that several of the skaters (including one currently big name but I'm not saying who) were actually deceased, but as the rules didn't say undead can't compete.... and Rika was skating to Love In The Time of Cholera in a plain white dress with her hair down. 

I'm rather glad I woke up before it got much further.  It wasn't a nightmare precisely (I dream quite a bit about dead people, don't want to think about why), but very vivid.

I'm going to watch happy ice show nonsense now.

19 minutes ago, TallyT said:

but as the rules didn't say undead can't compete

well that sounds like a recipe for a Hallowe'en competition. :hihi:

@memae I know what you mean. I watched and read a lot of the guy's interviews and I eventually concluded that he simply lacks self-awareness and doesn't realize how he sounds when he says certain things. but I couldn't appreciate his skating until I saw him skate live.