General Yuzuru Chat

3 hours ago, Fay said:

Today, two years ago... 

Wanting to watch that parade live is what got me to finally  join the Planet (I lurked for a bit before that).  The only links I could find to the live broadcast were from here. And then I messed up the time zones, and joined the stream just as Yuzu left the float and went in to the press conference, so I had to go back and watch the whole thing from the beginning later. An hour and a bit of grinning like a fool and waving at my computer screen later, I was satisfied. 

I've never seen such uplifting joy.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who waved back everytime the camera showed Yuzu waving at us...:tumblr_inline_mzx8txTRzl1r8msi5: 

3 hours ago, IULIANA said:

Yeah, two years ago,  I woke up at an ungodly hour (as almost always to get to watch Yuzuru!), turned on the tablet and was getting nervous wondering if and how the live stream would work, a live stream of Sendai TV,  from which  I couldnt understand a single word. For the first time in my life I watched a parade, and more so in a place half way around the world, and stayed glued to the screen to witness something I swear if  someone 5 years earlier (so called pre-Sochi era) would have told me I would do so, I would have loughted  my heart out!

ahah same here....who would have thought uh?but i'll gladly do it again!

17 hours ago, SitTwizzle said:

That's one thing I admire particularly with Yuzuru Hanyu. Being so wise, conscious of the shortcomings in the skating world (he was already clear about it in 2015 with Mansai Nomura, I don't know if he was already underscored), and still fighting by the only way of excellence, though at GPF we could have a glance at the "inner boiling" such injustice provoked... Of course this integrity reflects in his choice of subject. I wondered too, if choosing a private university, which could of course come from there being only this proposing a subject he wanted to study, or affording him the flexibility he needed, may not have come from the reasoning that he was not a Japanese taxpayer at the moment, and wouldn't want to weigh on Japanese public financing (as for national and public universities).

Reveal hidden contents

As to France "elitism", I wish to mention we don't have only "grandes écoles for the arrogant", we also have much smaller "niche" ones, with very few students and a few university departments, where one can meet research excellence and motivation and hard work, and as they are not very well known of the greater public (except maybe École normale supérieure for "hard science" — including 2 medical students per year — I wouldn't vouch anymore about humanities), the mindset there is quite different.

Why would you think Yuzu would not be paying taxes in Japan? He is a Japanese citizen.  And a quiet one, so he's not going to be commenting on Japanese public funding of anything.  His choice of university would have been both a practical and sensible one, with consideration for his future and the importance of a good education.

16 minutes ago, barbara said:

Why would you think Yuzu would not be paying taxes in Japan? He is a Japanese citizen.  And a quiet one, so he's not going to be commenting on Japanese public funding of anything.  His choice of university would have been both a practical and sensible one, with consideration for his future and the importance of a good education.

Just because, as he is much more than 183 days per year in Canada and much less in Japan, he is likely to be a Canadian resident for tax considerations.

I found the treaty between both countries to avoid double taxation, but as said Geo1, he has income from Japanese companies for commercials, and we don't know under which form, if he has a company to manage it all, etc, and he may very well pay taxes in Japan as well, at least at a Company level (at a personal level I suppose Article 10 prevents it).

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-finance/programs/tax-policy/tax-treaties/country/japan-convention-consolidated-1986-1999.html

Of course all this is his business, not ours, and we can be sure he does nothing like tax avoidance.

Edit : with Art.14 he may be taxable in Japan on his Japanese commercial income.

11 minutes ago, monchan said:

possible. I found its website which says it was opened in 1997. 

Might be the origin of Yuzu's Pooh love :LOL:

Maybe we found his true “origin” hahaha

Come to think of it, I don’t think I’ve seen any pictures of Yuzu as an infant/toddler? The youngest I’ve seen of him is a video of him as an elementary school student 🤔

5 minutes ago, FlyingCamel said:

Maybe we found his true “origin” hahaha

Come to think of it, I don’t think I’ve seen any pictures of Yuzu as an infant/toddler? The youngest I’ve seen of him is a video of him as an elementary school student 🤔

There were some pretty blurry pictures of him as a toddler. 

https://sportymags.wordpress.com/2015/05/09/yuzuru-hanyu-the-early-years/

1 hour ago, SitTwizzle said:

Just because, as he is much more than 183 days per year in Canada and much less in Japan, he is likely to be a Canadian resident for tax considerations.

I found the treaty between both countries to avoid double taxation, but as said Geo1, he has income from Japanese companies for commercials, and we don't know under which form, if he has a company to manage it all, etc, and he may very well pay taxes in Japan as well, at least at a Company level (at a personal level I suppose Article 10 prevents it).

https://www.canada.ca/en/department-finance/programs/tax-policy/tax-treaties/country/japan-convention-consolidated-1986-1999.html

Of course all this is his business, not ours, and we can be sure he does nothing like tax avoidance.

Edit : with Art.14 he may be taxable in Japan on his Japanese commercial income.

You can only be taxed in Canada on income earned in Canada, or, if you're a Canadian citizen, on income earned elsewhere in the world, but not taxed in the country of earning. That's a gross over-simplification but basically how it goes. Apart from winning SCI, Yuzu doesn't make an income in Canada, at least as far as I can tell. And unless something really strange has happened, Yuzu is a Japanese citizen and therefore not a Canadian one (as Japan does not permit dual citizenship). 

So whatever taxes he pays, by logical deduction, he must be paying them in Japan. 

and this is a really weird topic...who cares about his taxes, honestly. 

6 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

You can only be taxed in Canada on income earned in Canada, or, if you're a Canadian citizen, on income earned elsewhere in the world, but not taxed in the country of earning. That's a gross over-simplification but basically how it goes. Apart from winning SCI, Yuzu doesn't make an income in Canada, at least as far as I can tell. And unless something really strange has happened, Yuzu is a Japanese citizen and therefore not a Canadian one (as Japan does not permit dual citizenship). 

So whatever taxes he pays, by logical deduction, he must be paying them in Japan. 

and this is a really weird topic...who cares about his taxes, honestly. 

Well, there is the notion of citizenship, but also that of tax residence. I have lived in different countries and of course, agreements differ between countries but basically, you can't choose where to pay and you're chiefly taxed in your country of residence, not in the country you're a citizen of. Except when you are an US or Belarus citizen.

Edit : Sorry I hadn't read your last line. At first I just added a possible motive of choice for a private university, the origin of the discussion being Philip Hersh's comment. I didn't (couldn't) imagine it could be amplified/focused to such point, and am sorry I gave such an occasion, weird topic indeed. Plus I just don't wish to know where he pays taxes! I have no doubt he pays them where he has to, and that's all.

23 minutes ago, liv said:

You know what? I have actually wondered myself (at other times) about where he pays his taxes, lol!! I don't know why my brain went there, but it did!!

I wonder more about what kind of a visa he's on when he's here...presumably a student visa of some kind? If that's the case, then the types of income-earning work he's allowed to do here would be pretty limited. Which , in turn, affects his tax situation. 

2 hours ago, SitTwizzle said:

Well, there is the notion of citizenship, but also that of tax residence. I have lived in different countries and of course, agreements differ between countries but basically, you can't choose where to pay and you're chiefly taxed in your country of residence, not in the country you're a citizen of. Except when you are an US or Belarus citizen.

As for whether Canada is considered Yuzu's country of residence - I doubt it. He's in and out of the country enough that he most likely isn't here 183 days in total in any given year. No idea what his immigration status would be but my guess is it's some kind of student-type visa, and those usually come with strict restrictions on the type of work and earning someone can do while here. 

Also, I've paid Canadian taxes all my life, I have friends and family who lived overseas but still filed their Canadian taxes, and I can tell you with absolute certainty that what country you pay taxes to is 100% linked to where you've earned the money, not where you're a resident. If you earn money overseas and have paid all legal taxes in the country where you earned the money, Canada does not tax you a second time on the same income.