General Yuzuru Chat

8 minutes ago, Fay said:

Phil Hersh had a hissy fit about the former No. 1 having had to miss competitions due to his studies at an Ivy League college and so falling in the ranks. 
I can’t remember him raising a racket over Yuzuru missing out on competitions due to injuries and finding himself lower than Mikhail Kolyada. 

Hahahahah Phil what less could we have expected from him? One of the most hyprocritical and biased narrators out there in the sport

4 minutes ago, Fay said:

Phil Hersh had a hissy fit about the former No. 1 having had to miss competitions due to his studies at an Ivy League college and so falling in the ranks. 
I can’t remember him raising a racket over Yuzuru missing out on competitions due to injuries and finding himself lower than Mikhail Kolyada. 

And this when you think Yuzuru Hanyu attends Waseda University, which could be called "the Japanese Yale" for the number of alumni who became prime ministers, which I never see credited anywhere. And we can expect, as in any American university, a very special treatment for any top athlete choosing them. I don't mean easier exams (at least, probably not in pre-med) but an adapted calendar. He chose (or was told) not to take up the gauntlet clearly (and kindly, and good-humouredly) thrown at him by Yuzuru Hanyu before the Nationals, for a duel at 4CC, he didn't compete much otherwise; Yuzuru Hanyu preferred to compete with indecent jet-lags, he gets the rewards of it and it is perfectly legitimate, while Nathan Chen got his with his GPF Gold after wild overscoring, and equally wild underscoring of his rival. That's life.

22 minutes ago, Fay said:

Quarantine got on to Phil's head I see :think::devil3:

Earlier today, instead of following clownery plaint by some american ignorant lobbyst, I rewatched this amazing post Oly press conference in the Foreign Corespondents' Club of Japan. Once again I'm blown away by some amazing reflections by Yuzu, eg. about  Asian skaters being often perceived as less expressive or a brilliant answer for a really difficult question about meeting North Korean athletes. A lot of charming and fun moments as well (like potato chips). Not a new content but it's good to listen to a wise person while some dumb uncle pops up with sth again.

1 hour ago, SitTwizzle said:

And this when you think Yuzuru Hanyu attends Waseda University, which could be called "the Japanese Yale" for the number of alumni who became prime ministers, which I never see credited anywhere. And we can expect, as in any American university, a very special treatment for any top athlete choosing them. I don't mean easier exams (at least, probably not in pre-med) but an adapted calendar. He chose (or was told) not to take up the gauntlet clearly (and kindly, and good-humouredly) thrown at him by Yuzuru Hanyu before the Nationals, for a duel at 4CC, he didn't compete much otherwise; Yuzuru Hanyu preferred to compete with indecent jet-lags, he gets the rewards of it and it is perfectly legitimate, while Nathan Chen got his with his GPF Gold after wild overscoring, and equally wild underscoring of his rival. That's life.

Spoiler

Well...

One thing I didn’t realize before getting here was how in selection of classes you can make it a very easy semester or an incredibly hard semester. I think I overloaded my plate too much with hard classes the first couple semesters. [This year], I got into a class that meets only once a week, and that incredibly eases my schedule. All these things I should have considered, you don’t know about until you are there.

x

I genuinely have a question about the world standing

It looks like if we take into account 

100% 19/20 season

100% 18/19 season

70% 17/18 season

Nathan would still be 1st in world standing

To me it seems like wiki isnt reflecting it correctly by removing the 2 on Yuzu's world standing with 1

in my opinion, Yuzu's wiki should have shown

1 (20\21 season as of 4.20.2020) since this is taking the start of the season and will continue to be updated throughout next season. as @river pointed out most likely if he is able to compete and medal he will still be #1 with his lead

2 (19/20 season as of end of the season

100% 19/20 season

100% 18/19 season

70% 17/18 season)

3 (18/19 season) If you look at the chart on wiki you will see it counts all 3 full seasons with 18/19 being the the current

In this case, it does make sense Nathan was still #1 by the end of the 19/20 season, which not to support Hersh in anyway but his expectation made some sense.

I just dont want the wiki to be misleading or giving out misinformation. correct me if im wrong but I think Yuzu isnt technically #1 for this world standing year end, but is #1 as of the start of next season. The wiki should be updated to keep his #2 standing?

12 minutes ago, Fay said:

Nathan was first for the end of 2019-2020, but now for the start of 2020-2021 they removed the results of the Olympic season, and therefore, Yuzu gets to be No 1 for now. 

right but they also removed the end of 19/20 altogether on wiki. I get that Yuzu is #1 as of right now (the start of next season) but it looks like they removed the #2 that should have been the concluded world standing as of last season. If I understand it correctly, world standing count is based on a full season so technically, H*rsh wasnt wrong for expecting Nathan to be #1 by the end the season and it looks like there was some misunderstanding between what the OP showed and what he understood. On top of that, Yuzu's wiki is incorrectly updated as well

37 minutes ago, makebelieveup said:

right but they also removed the end of 19/20 altogether on wiki. I get that Yuzu is #1 as of right now (the start of next season) but it looks like they removed the #2 that should have been the concluded world standing as of last season. If I understand it correctly, world standing count is based on a full season so technically, H*rsh wasnt wrong for expecting Nathan to be #1 by the end the season and it looks like there was some misunderstanding between what the OP showed and what he understood. On top of that, Yuzu's wiki is incorrectly updated as well

welp, you're right

https://web.archive.org/web/20200417061900/http://www.isuresults.com/ws/ws/wsmen.htm

If Yuzuru is listed as no 1 after 17/18, then after 19/20 he is 2nd.