General Yuzuru Chat

1 minute ago, Figure_Frenzy said:

Oh dear 🙀😨😱😧😢, I do hope they all will get better soon as well 🙏🙏🙏.

I don't think they're sick themselves, but they don't want to take any chance as there are always some "silent carriers" and also symptoms can appear later. Still, such a difficult situation :tumblr_m7etfqA8wS1qb1380:

31 minutes ago, Veveco said:

Apparently some Chinese fanyus are choosing to cancel their trip to 4CC to avoid risking spreading the Wuhan virus. It's a tough decision but a very kind and responsible act. I hope everyone from the forum is safe...

This is heartbreaking. I hope this terrible situation will improve soon and everybody from China and not only to be safe ...

2 hours ago, Veveco said:

Apparently some Chinese fanyus are choosing to cancel their trip to 4CC to avoid risking spreading the Wuhan virus. It's a tough decision but a very kind and responsible act. I hope everyone from the forum is safe...

According to the latest news, Wuhan and the 16 cities around it - an area of some 50 million people - has been completely sealed off - no travel in or out allowed. Anyone in that area who has 4CC tickets will definitely not be able to get to Korea at all.  I hope any fanyus - not to mention everyone else living there -in the area are ok. 

42 minutes ago, liv said:

I have to say I was thinking that this health situation will be impactful for the next while. I think things are only starting with it, so we might see all kinds of ramifications.... very concerning.

The thought occurred to me last night that this situation does have the potential to affect World's. I really hope it doesn't, though. 

With the ease of travel, the new strain of coronavirus or Wuhan virus has the potential to become a worldwide pandemic if measures to prevent it are not strictly enforced.

The first case of Wuhan virus in Canada has been confirmed in Toronto.

Korea is one of seven Asian countries, including Japan, that have confirmed cases of Wuhan virus.

Whenever athletes, their coaches and their support staff travel to the areas with confirmed cases of Wuhan virus, there is always the potential for contracting it.

I am hoping that Yuzu is not exposed to it in Toronto, Korea or Japan. With his asthma, I would assume that he is more vulnerable than others, if he contracts in.

1 hour ago, Geo1 said:

I am hoping that Yuzu is not exposed to it in Toronto, Korea or Japan. With his asthma, I would assume that he is more vulnerable than others, if he contracts in.

Travelling by plane - recycled air - recycled viruses ! The number of times I have come down with a cold virus after flying.... we will have to see how things develop. I’m supposed to be flying to Montreal from UK in 7 weeks, thank goodness I took out cancellation insurance on the flight at least!

edit: sorry I sound like I am forgetting the potential human cost here, of course the MAIN thing is that ppl are protected as much as possible, treated well and taken care of, and that loss of human life is kept to the minimum- wishing everyone keeps safe and well, including the skaters who will be travelling, and of course Yuzuru too who has to be extra careful due to his asthma 🙏🙏💕

5 hours ago, Veveco said:

I don't think they're sick themselves, but they don't want to take any chance as there are always some "silent carriers" and also symptoms can appear later. Still, such a difficult situation :tumblr_m7etfqA8wS1qb1380:

Yes indeed 😢, I didn't write about it clearly in my initial comment but when I wished for recovery I meant to wish it to everyone in Wuhan area (not just to the Chinese fanyus who happen to live there, who might or might not carry the virus). SARS outbreak was scary enough in the early-mid 2000s, I truly hope the Chinese government (and other countries' govs that have to contain the case as well) are really able to contain and slow down the virus outbreak...

OoT but I want to share it here (hope y'all don't mind >_< )

Spoiler

...when I read the comment about the chinese fans cancelling their plan for 4CC it reminds me of a Chinese Youtuber (...well, Weibo star really, but you got the point...) who just posted a community post for the CNY — she said she was about to post a new video about this year's CNY feast but she (and her grandmother) caught a flu and she wasn't able to edit and post the video in time and everyone commenting in that post were worried about the possibility of her catching the Wuhan virus :( .

She lives in another province (Sichuan), Wuhan is in the Hubei province, but still....it makes you worry about it... :( :( :(

26 January 1924 Charles Jewtraw was the inaugural winner at the Olympic Winter games in Chamonix.

https://www.olympic.org/news/26-january-1924-charles-jewtraw-was-the-inaugural-winner-at-the-olympic-winter-games-in-chamonix

FROM CHARLES JEWTRAW TO SHAUN WHITE AND YUZURU HANYU

Charles Jewtraw won the first American title at the Olympic Winter Games, the 100th was won by Shaun White for the snowboard halfpipe at PyeongChang 2018. It will have been 94 years and 22 days between the first winter Olympic podium and the 1000th, which saw the rise of the winner of the men’s singles in figure skating, Yuzuru Hanyu, accompanied by his fellow Japanese countrymen Shoma Uno and Spaniard Javier Fernandez on 17 February 2018. The history of the Olympic Winter Games has a start and it continues to be written every four years.

It's crazy how similar this season's progression of my two favorite athletes is :LOL:

Tournament issues in September: Yuzu had to deal with phantom calls. Neil Robertson couldn't find the venue. :13877886:

Peak in late October/early November: Yuzu scored 322 at Skate Canada. Neil became the Champion of Champions 2019. :dancingpooh:

Hard times in December/January: Yuzu lost at GPF and JNats. Neil had multiple first round defeats. :13877886:

A few minutes ago Neil won the European Masters 2020 with a historical 9:0 whitewash in the final. :dancingpooh:

Is that a sign for Yuzu and 4CC...? :surprised_pikachu:

#Footnote: Neil Robertson is an Australian Snooker player, who became the first in history to play 100 Century Breaks within a season (2014). No other player in the world could do this so far. It's a bit comparable with 100 quad jumps with positive GOE in one season. That means a) you need remarkable skills to complete even one, b) you have to compete a lot and b) be in top form for a whole season. It's an insane achievement. Most players cannot reach 100 centuries in their entire career of 20-25 years.

11 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

It's crazy how similar this season's progression of my two favorite athletes is :LOL:

Tournament issues in September: Yuzu had to deal with phantom calls. Neil Robertson couldn't find the venue. :13877886:

Peak in late October/early November: Yuzu scored 322 at Skate Canada. Neil became the Champion of Champions 2019. :dancingpooh:

Hard times in December/January: Yuzu lost at GPF and JNats. Neil had multiple first round defeats. :13877886:

A few minutes ago Neil won the European Masters 2020 with a historical 9:0 whitewash in the final. :dancingpooh:

Is that a sign for Yuzu and 4CC...? :surprised_pikachu:

#Footnote: Neil Robertson is an Australian Snooker player, who became the first in history to play 100 Century Breaks within a season (2014). No other player in the world could do this so far. It's a bit comparable with 100 quad jumps with positive GOE in one season. That means a) you need remarkable skills to complete even one, b) you have to compete a lot and b) be in top form for a whole season. It's an insane achievement. Most players cannot reach 100 centuries in their entire career of 20-25 years.

It's so interesting to compare Yuzu to other top athletes. Gives you idea where he's at in terms of ability in the broader perspective.

I personally compare him to Michael Phelps.  

12 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

It's so interesting to compare Yuzu to other top athletes. Gives you idea where he's at in terms of ability in the broader perspective.

It's very difficult to compare athletes of different sports, but I agree with you.

a) Both Phelps and Yuzu are THE Olympic faces. Phelps of the Summer Games, Yuzu of the Winter Games.

b) They are famous for their longevity. Even if they didn't win every single competition, they were always among the top favorites (if not THE top favorite) for the gold for decades.

c) They shine with their versality and total package. Phelps was the best medley swimmer of his era and unbeatable in any position (except breaststroke). Yuzu is famous for his total package as a figure skater, who combines hardest technique with appealing choreography like nobody else.

35 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Same. That's our swimming backgrounds coming out to play

2 hours ago, Henni147 said:

It's very difficult to compare athletes of different sports, but I agree with you.

a) Both Phelps and Yuzu are THE Olympic faces. Phelps of the Summer Games, Yuzu of the Winter Games.

b) They are famous for their longevity. Even if they didn't win every single competition, they were always among the top favorites (if not THE top favorite) for the gold for decades.

c) They shine with their versality and total package. Phelps was the best medley swimmer of his era and unbeatable in any position (except breaststroke). Yuzu is famous for his total package as a figure skater, who combines hardest technique with appealing choreography like nobody else.

I had thought of Michael Phelps in relation to Yuzu a while ago - both elite athletes with long careers - but I was thinking about Yuzu and what he will be facing at whatever point in the future he does retire. Michael Phelps has talked openly about how overwhelming his depression post-competition was.  That there were times when he didn't want to be alive.  Michael Phelps felt, and feels, that the organizations that athletes rely on (for our guy, it would be JSF and the Olympic committee) should be doing something.  He "blamed the U.S. Olympic Committee for failing to help athletes transition from the grueling demands of training and competition to the letdown that inevitably follows."  Michael started talking openly about this within a month or two after the 2018 Olympics and, at the same time, there was the question about Yuzu and would he continue to compete.  Yuzuru is at a very different popularity level, of course, and even when he ends competing, he isn't going to disappear.  But it will be, I think, a difficult transition. Yuzuru has a different support system and, I hope, will see the next phase as a challenge he embraces. (And no time soon, please...)