General Yuzuru Chat

3 minutes ago, micaelis said:

As far as a third Olympic gold?  My feeling is that the end of this season will tell the tale.  I don't think Yuzu would feel it proper to retire in the season before an Olympic season.  There would be the appearance that he is afraid of losing.  Also, though, there would be Yuzu's typical concern for the other Japanese skaters.  He would want them to have sufficient time after learning there was now room at the top to adjust to the reality that the Olympic experience was now a distinct possibility for them.  That Yuzu would think that way is merely another manifestation of the sportsmanship and concern he has for others that had him cheering so sincerely for Javi when Javi was on the ice.

So keep your attention on Yuzu after worlds this year.  If he doesn't retire it means he's going for the gold in Beijing.

Why? He already said that Beijing isn't his goal. This way he can go to 4cc 2022 and then retire right before Olympics. Because why not.:68468287:

20 minutes ago, micaelis said:

My suspicions are that Yuzu has been preparing for retirement for some time.  The first indication was Continues with Wings.

When he did PW at Skate Canada I wondered straight away whether this season he would be going through older beloved and venue/people-relevant programmes for his EXs as another step towards the full circle of his competitive career - and he HAS been doing that this season, and it’s been such fun guessing what he’s going to show us at the next event! (He started this at CWW with his step sequences from 9 competitive programmes).  Is this all part of his r-planning I wonder? It doesn’t prepare him for life outside of competition, but it might be one way he feels a sense of a proper international goodbye to some of his competitive programmes?

2 minutes ago, Pammi said:

When he did PW at Skate Canada I wondered straight away whether this season he would be going through older beloved and venue/people-relevant programmes for his EXs as another step towards the full circle of his competitive career - and he HAS been doing that this season, and it’s been such fun guessing what he’s going to show us at the next event! (He started this at CWW with his step sequences from 9 competitive programmes).  Is this all part of his r-planning I wonder? It doesn’t prepare him for life outside of competition, but it might be one way he feels a sense of a proper goodbye to some of his competitive programmes?

He has max 15 competitions left. Of course he is looking back at his career.

I enjoy every minute of him as he continues to compete and of course I would really love if he can make it to Beijing to have this big finale of his wonderful career (even if he doesn't win there, although I know he's not on the same page with that :) ).  At the same time, I'm more and more calm with the fact that he's going to retire sooner or later since I realized that retiring from compiting will not mean retiring from skating and certainly not from the audience. I'm pretty sure, that he will be not less devoted to his work as a perfomer than he's as a competitor and I truly believe that artistically the best of him we will see in that era of his career. Just imagine what kind of programs he will be able to deliver when he practises them properly without a neccesity to land 4-5 quads in the row and count some stupid features in the spins or steps. And we will be able to enjoy them fully, without all those nerves and distractions. What a treat is yet to come.

14 minutes ago, rubyblue said:

I enjoy every minute of him as he continues to compete and of course I would really love if he can make it to Beijing to have this big finale of his wonderful career (even if he doesn't win there, although I know he's not on the same page with that :) ).  At the same time, I'm more and more calm with the fact that he's going to retire sooner or later since I realized that retiring from compiting will not mean retiring from skating and certainly not from the audience. I'm pretty sure, that he will be not less devoted to his work as a perfomer than he's as a competitor and I truly believe that artistically the best of him we will see in that era of his career. Just imagine what kind of programs he will be able to deliver when he practises them properly without a neccesity to land 4-5 quads in the row and count some stupid features in the spins or steps. And we will be able to enjoy them fully, without all those nerves and distractions. What a treat is yet to come.

I am reasonably certain that he will not go to Beijing unless he knows he can win. Anything less than gold is losing to him, and that would be a very sad end for him.  Plushenko could still win at age 27 and Javi at 26.  Plushenko, I'm certain, believes he could have won at Sochi (at age 31!!) if he hadn't re-injured himself (although a part of me thinks he pulled out because he felt Yuzu would win and he didn't want a 19 year to steal his glory, especially in his own country).  Yuzu only gets stronger and better - it really is going to be a case of staying injury-free and the ISU reigning in their ridiculously bias and seemingly blind judges.

2 hours ago, rubyblue said:

At the same time, I'm more and more calm with the fact that he's going to retire sooner or later since I realized that retiring from compiting will not mean retiring from skating and certainly not from the audience. I'm pretty sure, that he will be not less devoted to his work as a perfomer than he's as a competitor and I truly believe that artistically the best of him we will see in that era of his career. Just imagine what kind of programs he will be able to deliver when he practises them properly without a neccesity to land 4-5 quads in the row and count some stupid features in the spins or steps. And we will be able to enjoy them fully, without all those nerves and distractions. What a treat is yet to come.

Yup. Imagine Yuzu designing his programs without looking into the rulebook and having more than one evening to learn the choreo (hello Masquerade...)

How breathtaking that could be... :surprised_pikachu:

38 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

Imagine Yuzu designing his programs without looking into the rulebook

For some reason my brain went '5S! 5T!' :fear: when I read that....y'all maybe think Yuzu's going to chill down into some kind of glorified ice dancer after he's done competing but I think he'll just be free of all constraints then...and no Uncle Ghislain to reign him in... the Lord above only knows what we'll see then. 

5 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

he'll just be free of all constraints then...and no Uncle Ghislain to reign him in... the Lord above only knows what we'll see then. 

Haha that IS what he said following his 4A practice at GPF ie. no one there to tell him not to do it!!  but ..... that precious precious right ankle might be the new Ghislain!?! the thing that stops him from wilding post retirement? (Mind you, Yuzuru is such a show off, if quints become a thing in competition, I can’t really imagine him NOT showing everyone that he can do those as well as anyone else lol!)

It’s fun musing about what he’ll be like over the next few years :birgits-tired-coffee-smiley-face: