It's that time of the year - coaching changes 2019/2020

At this point I am only praying that Shoma really knows what he is doing. Whatever his plans are, I think the camp with Eteri is a good first step. It will be different from his previous experience and hopefully help him to decide on what he truly wants and needs from a coach.That should make finding the right place and coach easier.

On 6/11/2019 at 3:58 AM, WinForPooh said:

I'm not getting into the rest of it but this bit does speak to your bias. Raf has literally given interviews blaming Nathan's family for his Olympics performance

Really? That's so disrespectful! Do you know what exactly he said?

26 minutes ago, Yuzurella said:

That the layout for Nathan’s short had been decided on by his family. That was an interview in Russian. 

6 minutes ago, Fay said:

That the layout for Nathan’s short had been decided on by his family. That was an interview in Russian. 

:dislike: But he's Nathan's coach. Sounds to me like a lame excuse from someone who's trying to escape his own responsibility.

12 minutes ago, Yuzurella said:

:dislike: But he's Nathan's coach. Sounds to me like a lame excuse from someone who's trying to escape his own responsibility.

The funny thing Nathan never used that layout (4Lz, 4F3T)  he was blamed of at the Olympics. He bombed a relatively simple layout (4Lz and 4T3T). 

I agree that Raf can be quite fishy. But his words are taken reverently by most Russian fans, since he happens to be a Russian. So by extension Nathan is half Russian lol 

39 minutes ago, Fay said:

The funny thing Nathan never used that layout (4Lz, 4F3T)  he was blamed of at the Olympics. He bombed a relatively simple layout (4Lz and 4T3T).  

Nathan did bomb the simpler layout, but IIRC the criticism Raf placed on his family was that they were trying to get him to do the harder layout, which he then trained and attempted in practices, and even went for the 4F in the 6 minutes warm up, which then led him to be very unconfident. I remember people discussing (and my agreeing with them) that he probably went for the 4T+3T because he was rattled by the 4Lz attempt, and wanted to secure a good combo.

3 hours ago, Yuzurella said:

Here's the part that refers to his family:

EV: When did he notify you?
RA: The day of the competition before morning practice. At 6am. The thing is that we only started getting into the shape before the competition, hence in the team event SP Chen was doing a 4F and a 4T, not the 4lz and 4T that we were doing at the first part of the season. I planned doing the same in the personal event. Told Nathan it would be a practice like skate. But it happened that he wanted to land a 4Lz and a 4F. And, as I suspected, was not ready.
You said you've never seen me in such a state. But I went into that state not during the skate but several hours before. I'm a coach and have to think in advance. That there will be mistakes and even if a miracle should happen and Nathan would land his jumps the skate will be stiff and bad looking - there is too much pressure. That feeling - nothing happened yet but you know it will and can't do a thing to prevent it - it's killing.

EV: Have you tried convincing him differently?
RA: How? Imagine, you are notified at 6am what is the decision. What is there to convince. Chen knew it would be hard. I assumed that perhaps it wasn't even his decision. Often during the Olympics there are behind the scenes forces, the influential and important people who tell what to do. It's not always the athlete is capable saying no. He has a family and he hears from every corner `that's it, dude, we are heading for the gold!' not understanding that the SP is not where you aim for any medal. You just show what was planned there. The plan was a flip and a toe. That's it!

And another bit:

RA: First of all his family. Chen announced before the Olympics he will be doing this season all that his family will decide. He told me that flat and square. Explained how much he owes his family for all they have done for him. Hence he decided to dedicate the Olympic season to his family and follow every wish of his beloved ones. We'll see next season whether he'll change his mind. Then we'll decide how to continue working.

Here's the link to the translation:

https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/vaytskekhovskayas-interview-with-arutyunyan.103449/

Somehow, I don't think that if Nathan had managed to land his jumps, Raf would've been giving interviews saying it was all because Nathan listened to his family. And it was apparently Raf's assumption anyway but he happily gave the interview saying so!