2018/19 Coaching changes

Judging purely from 3 announcements, I think Orser and his team's top priority will be Evgenia. Jason's sound more vague, its more like having a good training enviroment than clear goal or improving techique . Of course I can be wrong, but I see him being on similar case like Gabby and LilBet. 

1 hour ago, Yatagarasu said:

Brown contacted Orser shortly after 2018 U.S. nationals asking about the possibility of training with him.

Interesting... In several ways.

1 hour ago, Eclair said:

Especially since now both Jason (I like him) and Boyang (I like him more) are potentially showman-like skaters ... 

Boyang's a performer, not a showman. He's growing into it. Not concerned here.

53 minutes ago, Katt said:

Judging purely from 3 announcements, I think Orser and his team's top priority will be Evgenia

Doubtful. But Med might be the only top one switching to Orser, so still right in that sense.

What a rollercoaster this "off" season is! :eeking:

Happy with Boyang news! :studsmatta: I think he can be a good sparring partner for Yuzu, hearing how many times Yuzu praised him, but mostly happy for Boyang himself, I hope his PCS will rise now as he'll continue to work on them (and will stop getting robbed compared to other quadsters) +learning how not to fly to the boards :facepalm:

Surprised with Jason news, surely he needed a change but Idk what TCC can give him as he needs to fix his technique the most, but we'll see I guess.

30 minutes ago, hoodie axel said:

Doubtful. But Med might be the only top one switching to Orser, so still right in that sense.

I mean between 3 of them, they will focus on Evgenia more, as expectiations for her and Orser and his team  are higher

Yuzuru, Boyang, Gabby, Bet, Stephen, Junhwan, Evgenia, Jason, part-time Javi... so crowded... will they be able to make it work?
On the one hand, I adore Jason and Boyang. I'm happy they've made this change for themselves because I'm sure they'll only improve under TCC. And I'd love to see them hanging out with Yuzu.

On the other hand... The news about the three new skaters joining has made me nervous. I can't help but think that BOrser wouldn't have accepted all of them if some of his other students weren't bound to leave soon... But who's leaving, besides Javi?

Wasn't raya leaving?

Since its said that they have worked out schedules i think theyre still gonna maintain the 'not training with direct competitor that frequently' rule. Direct competitor in the same level is boyang - yuzu. I dont think jason and jun are on their level yet so im putting the both of them on the same level below it. Evgenia and gabby are both world medalists so theyre not gonna train together often.

They also had a team of coaches not just brian, ghislain and tracy.

It could work out. In theory. I really hope it works out.

On another note, maybe its a good thing waka isnt moving there and only had access with ghislain and slb for jumps and choreo. She gets the best offer without the messy parts of moving into a new and not-yet-tested training environment.

So, Jason's move is honestly a surprise, tho not nearly as shoking as Med's. And I'm happy just because Jason is an actual sunshine and if Tracy thinks he fits in TCC environment I trust her (sorry Brian, I think I trust mama Tracy more when it comes to understanding young people's mind:slinkaway::laughing:).

Also, nice that Yuzu won't be the only "almost-uncle" LOL

I'm really curious about how things can work honestly, so many new skaters at once, a lot of dynamics will change (and nuooo I don't want anyone to go away:cry:). And every skater has different "needs" (Boyang should work on SS but not much on jumps, Jason possibly the opposite...actually no, that's a good thing because it would mean they can work at the same moment with different coaches without much troubles...)

So, who's gonna be paired with Yuzu? I think it was said Conrad would be Jun Hwan's training partner but idk if it was a legit source... if Brian wants to repeat a Javi-Yuzu, then Boyang and Yuzu would make sense as they are both aiming for men podium... but it could also be reasonable to place the "older" guys together and have intense!Zu with sunshine!Jason...now that would be interesting:biggrin: and they would keep together the skaters who have no set plans vs those who are already aiming at next Olys:tumblr_inline_ncmifiE3IT1rpglid:

Or they could go for Yuzu and Med if they want the two Top of the Top at the same time...tho I shudder at the level of intensity there would be with those two in the same rink at the same time:smiley-scared008:

I think at least one of these could happen (unless they place Zu with the youngsters:laughing: after all during media day Stephen was there:P). I don't know which one would work better tbh.

Maybe they can keep everyone separated but I don't think it will happen, not all the time. The separated rink thing was temporary and still Yuzu and Javi got to share the ice at some point during Olympic season...

2 hours ago, Katt said:

I can see Lee Barkell as his main coach. So far, non of new TCC skaters has Ghislain in their announcement. I hope thats mean he can give more focus on Yuzuru. I wish to see his name listed as Yuzuru's coach in ISU bio :smiley-love017: 

don't take me seriously but what are the chances Ghislain would become Yuzu's main coach in place of Brian? It looks like he's doing all the hard work, with Yuzu needing to rehab and regain his jumps from 0 how many times already?:facepalm: just counting the last two years, it's the 3rd time:13877886: idk, Javi for example doesn't look as close to Ghislain, maybe because he didn't need to continuously recover from injuries while Yuzu with 1) his endless injuries and 2) learning/perfecting 4Lo and 4Lz and reworking his technique on other jumps like 4T (and now 3A to make room for 4A) has probably spent much more times with the jump coach (and Ghislain had to be there during the most painful time!). I mean, I wouldn't be sad if Ghislain becomes Yuzu's main coach, I'll just be sad if he replaces Brian:slinkaway:

forgive me I'm in a bit of a angsty mood right now, thinking about all Yuzu's injuries and the end of an era and how Javi is leaving (is there even space for him to train for Euros? I don't doubt Brian &co would be willing to train, they love him, but maybe he wouldn't use the main rink of the club, who knows)

Aaaaaand now I should really go to sleep :moon94:

Post-Olympics always brings lots of changes whether it's about coaches, retirements or rules, but I wouldn't have thought in my wildest dreams that Zhenya, Boyang and also Jason would move to TCC. It's been a crazy off-season so far, a busy May at TCC, and we're still far away from the beginning of the new season. :13877886:

I will be honest: I don't feel too positive about today's news now that it's confirmed that Boyang's move would be permanent. He's already a great skater, his skating will change and improve a lot and it'll be exciting to follow how things will evolve for him, but as a major contender for Beijing and as a very competitive skater, I think there might be tensions already from the beginning (not just at bigger competitions) . And even if Yuzu and him would practice on separate rinks, the situation will be very different than it was with Javi as the whole dynamic of the club will change.

Now I'm curious who'll leave TCC, whether it's Tursynbaeva, or maybe Cha or others. I guess we'll hear more news soon.

9 minutes ago, kelly said:

Wow that is one pessimist thread :laughing:  I'm sure Brian and the team thought of everything, I mean, I don't think they'd take in these 3 without considering everything that could happen:shrug:

I think it's less pessimism than concern. I'm sure they figured it out, but it is a lot of top skaters under one roof. They're all kids with their own hopes. I'm still waiting for Boyang's arrangements to be announced, though.

2 minutes ago, hoodie axel said:

I think it's less pessimism than concern. I'm sure they figured it out, but it is a lot of top skaters under one roof. They're all kids with their own hopes. I'm still waiting for Boyang's arrangements to be announced, though.

True true. I get that as fans we might have concerns, but I don't believe that there's anything to worry about yet. We'll see when the season begins I guess.

The minute Yuzu and Javi got on that podium at the Olympics, it was probably crystal clear that the TCC was going to expand its elite stable: no business in the world would NOT take the boost the reflected glory would bring.  It probably just seems to us outside to have been very fast (I thought everyone said off season would be slow??)  I'm not interested enough in women's skating to care more than mildly about Evgenia, but of all the male elite, Boyang and Jason are probably the ones I'd be happiest to see there (I know when people were saying after Nathan's Olympic meltdown that HE should go there, I was mentally screaming... and I don't dislike him but still!!!)

While I will fret about my two favourites (the ones who GOT the medals and glory, damnitall!!) and that their needs stay a firm priority, I do note that Brian and his people obviously took time and care to make the decisions for all three newcomers and how they would fit with those already there (with Jason, it started before the Olympics? - but there was no way it was going to happen till that pressure was off, and then Brian had to also decide if he US paper trail was worth it.  Obviously, he came down on Jason's side). And given what I understand of the mess with Yuna, Brian would have been careful to consider - and consult - with the skaters he already has as to how it would fit around them.  (I shouldn't be surprised if Tracey is Jason's main coach, from what I've read she really pulled for him to come.)

Yuzu is still their absolute star pupil, the biggest, most popular and beloved skater in the world, and their probable G O A T. Javi is one of their three Olympic stars.  Brian clearly cares about both of them, and is not going to risk another pr nightmare if it all goes sideways.  That's what I'm telling myself anyway.

(And Brian needs to have a jacket made up with the UN symbol on, he's going to outdo the diplomats at this rate!)

2 hours ago, Katt said:

Judging purely from 3 announcements, I think Orser and his team's top priority will be Evgenia. Jason's sound more vague, its more like having a good training enviroment than clear goal or improving techique . Of course I can be wrong, but I see him being on similar case like Gabby and LilBet. 

I can't imagine TCC shortchanging Boyang, tbh. Yes, Evgenia is going to be a point of honor, to prove they can kerp her at the top. But next Olympics is in China and Boyang is China's chance of podium or even gold. The pressure on TCC is going to be ON.

4 hours ago, ralucutzagy said:

LOL

dear god

Still Evgenia, lol.

So... Wilson for Jason Brown? I hope it doesn't kill Jason's originality. That Hamilton SP was an inspired music choice, I'm not sure Wilson is capable of such inspiration. On the other hand, Jason is a pretty artistic skater, so maybe? 

I'm more concerned about the Wilson/Evgenia match. Evgenia seems to have her own mind, though, if all that miming has bern indeed her own idea, so perhaps she'll be able to put her own stamp on the Wilson choreo. After all, Wilson did commit that wonderful SP for Junhwan and the Chaplin for Javi.

But for Boyang, I'm hoping no more Lori Nichol - Shae-Lynn might suit him. 

More skaters shouldcreach to Misha Ge, actually. As much as Lilbet was a lackluster Carmen due to her appearance, the choreo was pretty great, and his program for Pogo was really nice too.