7 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

Chen will add a layer of difficulty to his university/sport/life balance by switching coach and training base to Lambiel in Europe.

You know, I read this sentence with totally no context when scanning unread content and I never clicked on a thread that fast....🤦🏻‍♀️

9 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

Mystery solved! :O

The decision that one of his coaches will be Hamada isn't that surprising imo (btw, what happened to Tom Zakrajsek? Does he have any big students now?)

What I find more surprising is that a huge Japanese company sponsors a foreign skater. Especially given how many talented skaters are in Japan who don't have such opportunities and who may need more financial support.

It sounds like they think Vincent Z is marketable. Heard he’s quite popular in China. It might even be that they think he has potential to be Yuzu 2.0 in terms of star power. He definitely won’t reach Yuzu heights in terms of mania (not unless he gets 2 OGMs), but he might be set up to fill some of the gap when Yuzu r******.

I don’t think I will ever warm up to him. It’s not just his skating, it’s him personally, as uncharitable as it sounds. 

5 hours ago, Sukigirl said:

It sounds like they think Vincent Z is marketable. Heard he’s quite popular in China. It might even be that they think he has potential to be Yuzu 2.0 in terms of star power. He definitely won’t reach Yuzu heights in terms of mania (not unless he gets 2 OGMs), but he might be set up to fill some of the gap when Yuzu r******.

If they actually think this.......well, I'll be polite and just say that it's a severe miscalculation. Zhou (and Chen, for that matter) couldn't even sell $20 tickets to Stars on Ice in their home country this spring after both medaled at Worlds. And in Japan, not only do they already have numerous skaters of their own across all categories (currently competing skaters, retired skaters, and young skaters on the rise) with more star quality than Vincent, they also have Olympic medalists and highly accomplished and popular skaters from around the world lining up to compete and perform in Japan. Vincent in particular is also a uniquely bad choice because many of the skating fans who dislike him feel that way not just because he's a mediocre skater being propped up with inflated scores thanks to fed politicking, but also because of things that he has said and done off the ice, which is a lot harder to counter with manufactured PR narratives. Basically, I have no idea what they're thinking with this choice, unless someone at Kinoshita owed Mie Hamada a favor or something. 

I don't think comments by Vincent are known to Japanese fans or Kinoshita. I keep hearing that he's said or posted bad things but I don't know what they are and there's no added language barrier for me. Regardless, he seems quite popular in Japan. What I find a bit much is that he specifically mentions receiving support towards his participation in the Beijing Olympics. He's been set up as a direct rival to Japan's own skaters and already has the bonus of US score inflation in addition to any financial support.

Some of the arguments I've seen in favour of the sponsorship from Japanese fans on Twitter are:

• Yuzu receives support from P&G, a foreign company (though they're a multinational corporation and he receives support from the Japanese branch and promotes products available exclusively on the Japanese market)

• UNIQLO supports international sports stars and this is no different (UNIQLO has stores around the world and promotes a global image)

• Javi was kind to a certain young world bronze medallist who was also his rival so we should all support Zhou's sponsorship (though Yuzu received no funding from any Spanish companies to push him towards an Olympic medal)

Of course there are many people asking Kinoshita to support Japanese junior skaters in particular but another group who seem to be sad and ashamed that anyone would leave anything but supportive comments under the official announcement Tweet.

Vincent signed an affiliate contract with Kinoshita, the same kind of Yuzuru-Ana, Shoma-Toyota, Marin-JAL. Its a bit different compare to Yuzuru-P&J or Alina-Shisedo (these case they have products/ad/CM and so on). I read on another forum that Kinoshita only support Narumi, not Mervin Tran when they competed so back then, it has something with Japanese citizenship. I ask a several japanese fans and they all  surprised about this deal. And when we have several promise JP skaters have to start funding for their training, some people can't help to be upset. Tatsuki Machida never has any sponsor, Satoko signed with Kinoshita in 2017, after alot of archivements.  

As for Vincent's popularity,  its harder to find a skater that is not popular in japan these days :laughing:. He's more well known than Nathan in China, mainly he speak chinese and his team push alot in this market.  

1 hour ago, Katt said:

Vincent signed an affiliate contract with Kinoshita, the same kind of Yuzuru-Ana, Shoma-Toyota, Marin-JAL. Its a bit different compare to Yuzuru-P&J or Alina-Shisedo (these case they have products/ad/CM and so on). I read on another forum that Kinoshita only support Narumi, not Mervin Tran when they competed so back then, it has something with Japanese citizenship. I ask a several japanese fans and they all  surprised about this deal. And when we have several promise JP skaters have to start funding for their training, some people can't help to be upset. Tatsuki Machida never has any sponsor, Satoko signed with Kinoshita in 2017, after alot of archivements.  

As for Vincent's popularity,  its harder to find a skater that is not popular in japan these days :laughing:. He's more well known than Nathan in China, mainly he speak chinese and his team push alot in this market.  

It's the perfect storyline isn't it? A Chinese-American for Beijing 2022.