Team Russia

6 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

On paper Pluschenko hasn’t had much coaching success...

Neither did Brian before Yuna.

I mean, I suspect all of the 3A will be surpassed before Beijing, but it was really not a surprise that the Sambo rink got too small for the three of them as we jit half-way through the quad.  Yuzu and Javi were a special case, rivals sharing a coach almost never works out in the end.

9 minutes ago, SitTwizzle said:

The thing is, he is still to prove able to pass on such beauty. I sincerely hope he will manage, because if he fails with such a high profile as Alexandra Trusova (who "just" needs to recover from her long off-ice period now, to be again "the Alexandra Trusova", as she had, just before World, recovered her stability after her growth; and to be motivated to practice on skating skills, to become a great skater), she may well be the last promising skater to come to him.

Wasn't there an interview with one of Sambo coaches that Trusova only wants to train jumps and even when they want her to do something else, she says no and everybody simply allow her to come back to her quads?

7 minutes ago, TallyT said:

Neither did Brian before Yuna.

I mean, I suspect all of the 3A will be surpassed before Beijing, but it was really not a surprise that the Sambo rink got too small for the three of them as we jit half-way through the quad.  Yuzu and Javi were a special case, rivals sharing a coach almost never works out in the end.

I don't think so, as only Kamila Valieva is likely to reach or surpass their level. Sofia Akatieva and Veronika Zhilina are too young, and Maiia Khromykh would have a tiny chance of medal if she were to be in the Russian team, but she is unlikely to be part of it. Let's see for Daria Usacheva.

Just now, Paskud said:

Wasn't there an interview with one of Sambo coaches that Trusova only wants to train jumps and even when they want her to do something else, she says no and everybody simply allow her to come back to her quads?

I didn't know it went so far as her refusing to do the exercises.

But I understood she was very reluctant about anything but jumps. And it is on her account that ISU behaviour infuriates me more. She already has a like for jumps. If improving her skating skills doesn't even improve her score, or marginally, why bother? I mean, unless one have a true artistic or at least perfectionist temper.

12 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

For me the things she's lacking are too glaring, and the intensity only highlights that. So it doesn't create a good image for me. I feel like she's flinging herself across the ice with a lot of effort and zero skill. It's a very immature skating style and although I'm not a skating coach, if I were, and she become my athlete, I would take her right back to the basics and re-teach her everything from scratch, with the goal of building a much better and more elegant skater. Of Eteri's current crop, Kostornaia is the only who I feel skates well enough to deserve her high standing, honestly. 

Sasha certainly doesn’t have the best skating skills but for me her charisma comes from her fierceness and steely determination! Of course this is all very subjective and people might disagree haha

Just now, Paskud said:

How much it will hurt Sambo that they don't have Rozanov anymore?

I don't think Team Tutberidze have secret methods, though he may have been recruited for this reason (or to try to lure some juniors).

But they will have to recruit somebody "on the spot", off-ice, and test him at a moment when they will also have to rebuild the skater's skills.

If they find somebody capable of that, they would be the winners, by far. I hope they will.

Yuzuru Hanyu?

52 минуты назад, Paskud сказал:

What it means to Sambo that they don't have Rozanov anymore?

Friend says he mostly worked with juniors, so who knows really, time will tell.

3 minutes ago, SitTwizzle said:

That, if Plushenko fails, would be a great stroke to Russian Ladies skating.

The Zhilinas are young. Too young to be juniors even. 

Wow, this is shocking! :shocked: TBH it seemed something was up when jumping queen/tiny boss Trusova didn't switch over from dominating juniors to seniors as well as everyone thought. Her skating isn't everyone's cup of tea, but her passion for jumping and her power despite being so small was quite captivating. She didn't look weak on the ice, for sure. 

I don't think moving to Plush's team will go well, tbh :/ he doesn't seem that involved in coaching, doesn't seem to actually care that much about his young skaters, isn't really great at RusFed politics either, and I wonder why she didn't go to Mishin? At least he's a real coach? (no offense to Plushy or his team) At the end of the day, NONE of them have the influence of Eteri, so it really sucks for Russian skaters because they're stuck between a rock and a hard place, unless they're on top in Eteri's group, which we know is a precarious situation. Or they can afford to go abroad (I really do think Raf would be best one to cultivate her talent AND not be too much of a "downgrade")

As for Eteri and Daniil being unable to focus on all their senior skaters -- this comes at no shock to anyone. Of course they have to pick a favorite, at most two. I thought it would be Kostornaia since she's like, everybody's favorite. So Anna Shcherbakova being the favorite, wow. I sort of didn't expect that. But actually of the 3A she reminds me of Alina Zagitova the most in terms of personality, and Alina was also Daniil's favorite, so...

I don't know what to expect! And IMO I'd hate to see Trusova not make it to Beijing to most. She actually has real quads (the 4T looks real) and is really a once in a generation skater tbh. If she had a dedicated coach, like a Ravi Walia to Kaetlyn Osmond, what kind of potential could she reach?!

1 hour ago, Fay said:

The Zhilinas are young. Too young to be juniors even. 

What I meant, is that Veronika Zhilina is truly exceptional. If she is led astray (in skating terms) it will be a great loss. And I don't know the extent that can be made on such a young skater. Will it be recoverable or not?

Yuzuangel, it was quite natural, after growing 8cm, that Alexandra Trusova's quads should be less reliable for some months; and wit falls, it was logical that she should get Bronze. She seemed to have recovered them for Worlds, but there were no Worlds.

And as to Anna Shcherbakova being the favourite (or Alina Zagitova), I think this is what a teenager can think while others think her the favourite, or another, etc. It can hardly be deemed a fact. Though Alina Zagitova DOES now have a stronger bond with him, on the account of his late mother (who passed away last year I think). But in no way to the point of being called a favourite and the others let away.

Edit : Lyudmila Borisovna Shalashova died on August 29th 2019.

Well, it didn't take long for the social media posts to start heating up. Auto-translate is not very good between Russian and English, so I'm not sure exactly what Eteri's saying here, but it looks like something about trust and giving part of yourself to your athletes?

2 minutes ago, river said:

Well, it didn't take long for the social media posts to start heating up. Auto-translate is not very good between Russian and English, so I'm not sure exactly what Eteri's saying here, but it looks like something about trust and giving part of yourself to your athletes?

Saying it happens so that good athletes get tempted by lucrative prospects offered by other coaches, but their team bring up good athletes from scratch. They will never ever offer such prospects to anyone because they believe in fair play. #letsworkon. 

Eteri, what happened to lure Kanysheva away from Panova last season then?