Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Planet Hanyu

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

[2017] USA Nats - Men, Pairs, Ice Dance SP & FS

Featured Replies

17 minutes ago, xeyra said:

 

I actually share a different opinion. I think body of work should count for every selection process, in every country, and count as part of the criteria just as much as a nationals podium finish. I understand the pressure of nationals but it's one competition. You can falter there due to a myriad of reasons so I don't feel like that one competition should function as an Olympic trial. I'll be fine with whatever decision is made, though, like I was fine with Kaori going over Wakaba or Karen over Ashley, as I was fine with Yuzu getting the spot without even being at Nationals. I even would be fine with different Worlds and Olys allocations, like Japan did, but since that didn't happen for the ladies,  doubt it'll happen for the men. 

 

I know people decried the selection competitions the Korean federation had but at least it was an objective mathematical game in the end. 

I think my words weren't clear. I understand body of work need to be a criteria, it just because people talk about it the most in US Nat so I have impression that it weigh heavily there. I can see body of work in Adam's case, but not in Jason's. Vincent and Ross's results before Nat actually the same, except Vincent has more scoring potential. I think the Olys team should be Nathan, Vincent, Adam, but Ross's silver make it a little bit harder. I dont like 3 selections comp in Korea as well. The fact that Jun WD from SA but had to skate at a domestic qualification comp is :facepalm: 

 

I hope people can reduce Yuzuru's talk in each competition. Why should we compare international comp with National. Its not like scoring at US Nat ever make sense. I know Yuzuru's greatness and he deserved everything but seeing people rant about it even when he's not there is a bit too much

The 'body of work' criteria must be quite hard to factor in when you take into account absences from competitions because of injury or not being selected in the first place - do they take it into acccount if someone has declined to go to a competition (just an inquiry - I don't know whether any of them have, just thinking of comments elsewhere yesterday about AW not going to certain competitions).  It's a no win situation for USFSA - whatever they do someone will be unhappy.

2 minutes ago, Katt said:

I hope people can reduce Yuzuru's talk in each competition. Why should we compare international comp with National. Its not like scoring at US Nat ever make sense. I know Yuzuru's greatness and he deserved everything but seeing people rant about it even when he's not there is a bit too much

 

 Yeah, twitter is alight. I just wish for Yuzu to be in a condition to skate clean before I start worrying about him being robbed.

 

Also there seems to be a lot of anger over Vincent's URs. People seem to think them unfair? And seeing as Vincent just posted saying he rotated those jumps, I'm not sure he will use the calls as an impetus to work on his rotations as much as I wish. 

Eeehhh catching up here.... 

95 pcs?

In what parallel universe do the judges live? Because it's not there? At all? (I know it's nationals, but still) 

I was so happy when I saw this program for the first time, it was a moment of "wow, I will finally be able to enjoy his skating", and now... sigh... 

 

Adam.... why...  :tumblr_m9gcvqToXY1qzckow:(Wakaba flashbacks) 

 

 

17 minutes ago, xeyra said:

 

 Yeah, twitter is alight. I just wish for Yuzu to be in a condition to skate clean before I start worrying about him being robbed.

 

Also there seems to be a lot of anger over Vincent's URs. People seem to think them unfair? And seeing as Vincent just posted saying he rotated those jumps, I'm not sure he will use the calls as an impetus to work on his rotations as much as I wish. 

I'm a bit :facepalm: with some reactions since NHK. Like, I could write an essay on how Yuzuru didn't get the score he deserve but using him to compare with every top contender's performance is a big no. Let people happy when their fave skate well before dragging on how overscore it was.  Yuzuru said before that score is score, performance is performance, no one know how judges gonna do but he himself can control his own performance. I dont know why I'm so calm about Yuzuru right now, this is exactly the feeling I had after Helsinki SP.

I think people rant about Vincent's UR because tech panel didn't call Ross's. I dont think its unfair at all, minus from his 4lz3t, all other quads were clear UR, even his 3A.  

Watching videos now and Ross had actual, visible steps into his 4S and it matched the music. Nice. And it wasn't even the SP.

Seeing Ross's solo 3A, that seemed UR even without slowmo. It wasn't marked as so, then? The 4S isn't as visible in real time. 

This seems another case of the technical panel being of a completely different mind as the judges. Panel helps Ross but calls Vincent correctly, while judges go crazy (Vincent had close to 120 TES before the carrots) and help make up for the TES deficit in PCS. 

Though Vincent was emoting like a champ this time around. I enjoyed him. 

 

Edit: Sorry for my running commentary.

Jason, why!!!????:tumblr_inline_n18qr8XewT1qid2nw:

Such a gorgeous program so beset by technical issues. I knew it had been bad but not so much. :(

Nathan's 4F should probably have been marked for review and again wasn't. :slinkaway:

The zipper is even more distracting in motion.

Some tight landings but I'm glad to finally see a clean-ish FS again. It seems diminished since US Classic, though. That's still my favorite rendition. The layout changes since then haven't helped either because it still feels unfinished half of the time. He matches some of the early potential in his SP so much better, probably because it only has 3 jump passes. 

Finally I have time to watch some performances again. 
Adam's 2 pops were unexpected. Everyone thought he gonna landed all the jumps expect 4lz, and I think he himself surprised with the mistake too. His performance lost a bit after that, but he and Nathan should be on par in PCS
I am so heartbroken for Jason, after the 2nd 3A mistake seem like he lost all his usual spark. Its sad to think that he had the olys plan for a long time but this whole season didn't go well. I hope he get 4CC and redeem himself there. 
Nathan's costume make his neck line and shouder look bad, and it is not relate to the program at all. Aside from 4F, I think his 4T is a bit better than it was during GPs. And finally he won the free skate :laughing: On the other hand, many good details of this program are gone, it look very genetic right now. I know he has to focus on jumps, but even today, when he deliver the cleanest performance of the season so far, the interpretation was really off.  At some points he just skated around and ignore the music. I'm scare that we won't see this program to it full potential, in term of perfomance.  
Vincent 4lz3t is good, but thats the only good jumping pass in both program. Both of his 3A were borderline, especially the second one. Seem like he doesn't have enough stamina and that he's so slow in 2nd half. I think Vincent skate smoother than Nathan's and his landing can be good too, so 3 quads layout can be good, but surely he's not going to do that.

And why American men's axel are so :facepalm:
For now I think the team will be Nathan, Adam and Vincent and this will be the WC team too. Others will do 4CC, given Nathan's condition and the timing, I don't think he will go to 4CC. 

Finally watched the videos and of the last group Ross did have the skate of the night for me. It helps that I love this song too. 

I feel like Vincent needs to work hard on rotating his quads before he considers placing so many in a program, but I actually quite enjoyed his FS this time. Since he had less visible mistakes outside of the UR landings, I could concentrate more on how he was really feeling his program and interpreting it well. Good job, kiddo. 

Contrasting that to Nathan, who, despite going the cleanest in this FS since US Classic, seemed a lot more subdued in interpretation this time around (and as some have pointed out, late on the step sequence, which is actually my favorite bit in this program). I'm happy he managed to land all his non axel jumps, though, but I kinda miss the promise the FS had originally. Unfortunately, given all the commentators are always going about how they expect the hardest difficulty from Nathan and this was a basic watered down layout, the pressure to meet all those expectations will continue to interfere with the potential of the program. 
I still love your SP, though, Nathan! 

Jason's FS was beautiful and devastating at the same time. I'm still trying to recover.

And Adam... how... you didn't even seem that tired, why the first pop? The second pop just seemed like he'd given up and didn't even try.  

Congratulations to the podium, you all were the deserved medalists. But as for the team selection, I'm far less certain about going by placements here. Seems like a disservice to Ross, who had the skate of his life, but since I've never felt like Nationals should be the be all and end all of a selection process, my preferred team would be Nathan, Vincent and Adam. Sadly, I don't think that, despite his strong season showing, Jason can be justifiably included with a 6th place... not over Vincent.

Vincent says he rotated those quads? Um, no. Lutz was great, but the others were not. I hope he watches video and watches with an open mind  because refusing to address your issues will not help you in the long run. You will just get a label and it will follow you around. 

10 minutes ago, liv said:

Vincent says he rotated those quads? Um, no. Lutz was great, but the others were not. I hope he watches video and watches with an open mind  because refusing to address your issues will not help you in the long run. You will just get a label and it will follow you around. 

I wonder where he said that. I mean even the regular skating fans can spot the URs. The muggles just see who does the most quads and think that person should automatically win. 

I enjoyed the competition reading all the comments here! (especially about costumes :laughing: )

Sad about Jason tbh, but he also didn't skate well in his last two comps, I hoped maybe here but alas... Wonder who will go to Olys now, I like this year's Ross FS a lot and he mostly skated it good this season, Vincent is promising (more or less). Adam deserves to go too but I must say I'm not his fan. At GPF 2016 I liked him in SP but in FS I was disappointed - he looked rather slow on the ice (live I liked Jason's skating much more), but it wasn't his best day.

Is it official then? If it is I’m happy for Adam, sad for Jason and feel really bad for Ross. 

 

Eta: I really hope Ross goes to worlds or 4CC. 

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.