On 12/8/2020 at 12:20 PM, Fay said:

I’ve just read an interview by our esteemed FS President Lakernik and I am left speechless. In short, Kamila Valieva deserves her high PCS even with falls, but Patrick Chan didn’t. 

More evidence that figure skating is becoming truly lost.

On 12/8/2020 at 12:20 PM, Fay said:

I’ve just read an interview by our esteemed FS President Lakernik and I am left speechless. In short, Kamila Valieva deserves her high PCS even with falls, but Patrick Chan didn’t. 

at least Patrick got his at an internationally ratified event...not just from home crowd judges. 

2 hours ago, Fay said:

at this rate, Worlds can't be far behind. 

Someone posted an article on Twitter saying the rink set to host Europeans just got converted into a COVID morgue...eesh. 

I'm about done with this pandemic. 

On 11/26/2020 at 11:31 PM, Paskud said:

*throws chair* THANK YOU

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/winter/figureskating/world-figure-skating-championships-canada-1.5817980

OTOH, it's funny that Canada first wanted red carpet event with 1000 fans + skaters + media squished together, but when now they aren't organisers, they are so much against WC. =D

Idk the behind the scenes in Canada before WC cancellation, but my feeling was that all the nonsensical last-minute additions were more on ISU+AriZ than on Canadian authorities, and Canadian authorities in the end had to step down and made the call to cancel. Then they also cancelled several other FS events in Canada, GP included, so it's choerent that they are wary of WC in Sweden, especially if it's gonna be organized with a joke of a "bubble" (I wonder if such radical claims are a way to hint to organizers to do somehting more)

I still can't see Sweden being cautious. Apparently swedish medical personnel is still recommanding washing hands but not talking about the risks of aerosol spread (which, in cold indoor environment with poor ventilation, is a major source of concern) :/  If organizers won't think about addressing that specific issue, I don't see how WC can be remotely safe, even without audience. And I'm not even starting abut how ludicrous a "bubble" concept is without requiring teams to self-isolate themselves once they arrive in Sweden. Especially in early days of infeciton, tests can give false negative, so testing people just before and after arriving to the designated bubble-hotel is a severely lacking strategy. I fear a half-assed bubble is exaclty the concept they'll go for, to "show" they care with minimal effort(and minimal planning and expenses)

On 12/8/2020 at 6:20 PM, Fay said:

LMAO

Also, of course he had to be the one who speaks out loud the truth we already knew, that PCS caps are only for common people, not for the Chosen one(s)...

Anyway, I'm happy that ISU finally had ot let go of *gpf*. Also glad they cancelled Euros.

Now, if only JSF could stop trying to compete with rusfed for worst decision-making and give up on audience at Nats.. (not likely, if they had any intention to do so, with current situation in Japan they would have announced it already)

3 minutes ago, LadyLou said:

and within 24h from Euros cancellation, this

:sadPooh:

Jeezuz, it's like "I-don't-give-a-flying-pig" fest for them.

I wish skaters would actually have the common sense to withdraw, scream boycott, even though I know it's practically impossible with the pressure they will receive from the federation and sponsors.

1 hour ago, LadyLou said:

and within 24h from Euros cancellation, this

:sadPooh:

The Russian Figure Skating Federation (FFKKR) is working on options for holding competitions, which will be designed to provide competitive practice for athletes after the cancellation of the 2021 European Championship. This was announced by the president of the FFKKR Alexander Gorshkov, whose commentary is quoted by the press service of the federation.

On Thursday, the International Skating Union (ISU) canceled the European Championship, which was to be held in Zagreb from 24 to 31 January, due to the coronavirus.

"In this situation, the FFKKR will try to do everything possible to keep athletes the necessary motivation and systematic preparation for the main start of the season - the World Cup in 2021. Anticipating the possibility of such a decision as the cancellation of the European Championship, the FFKKR has already discussed alternative options for holding alternative competitions, according to which after the decision of the ISU Council, practical work began," Gorshkov said.

"At the moment, skaters are actively preparing for the national championship in Chelyabinsk, which is traditionally one of the main starts of the season," he added.

Tbf, it sounds as if this was local? And maybe they have Cup of Russia: Final, but it's in February and much closer to worlds.:think:

But, I guess, there are enough international skaters and judges living in Russia and surroundings to make it eventually international.

On the other hand, if this is international, then they can't invite every top Russian skater possible, and then it kinda doesn't make sense to hold such competition in current situation.

15 hours ago, Paskud said:

Tbf, it sounds as if this was local? And maybe they have Cup of Russia: Final, but it's in February and much closer to worlds.:think:

But, I guess, there are enough international skaters and judges living in Russia and surroundings to make it eventually international.

On the other hand, if this is international, then they can't invite every top Russian skater possible, and then it kinda doesn't make sense to hold such competition in current situation.

IMO they probably mean to expand on their russian cup, and they could easily invite a few foreign skaters like they have already done. I don't expect it will be a Euros bis, otherwise ISU could have just announced they were moving Euros to Russia, instead of announcing cancellation (though maybe it can be like a Challenger, if they can get international judging panel and enough foreign skaters). So, probably it will be just another hybrid semi-domestic comp, that will keep skaters stressed out "motivated"

I would have preferred if, instead, Rusfed had taken Euros cancellation as a chance to postpone RusNats, so all those skaters who had flu and pneumonia after RC didnt' have to rush back to training:shrug:

3 часа назад, LadyLou сказал:

I would have preferred if, instead, Rusfed had taken Euros cancellation as a chance to postpone RusNats, so all those skaters who had flu and pneumonia after RC didnt' have to rush back to training:shrug:

Nah, everything planned, tickets sold, so won't happen. If some of the favorites skates bad at Nats, they can have a skate off in Russian Cup final in February (was already done before) in case Worlds happen and team must be decided.

It seems to me there's too little time to organize a new event, so saying in press is one thing, but if they will do it is another question.

Full report of ISU Development program 2019 with quite interesting statistics

New ISU Communcation with some interesting news

Procedure to obtain the Minimum Total Elements Scores for the ISU World Figure Skating Championships

2021 Considering the limited number of International Figure Skating Competitions during the ongoing season 2020/21 and consequently limited opportunities to achieve the Minimum Total Element Scores, the ISU Council exceptionally agreed to adjust the procedure for obtaining the Minimum Total Elements Scores for the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2021 by making it more flexible. An ISU Communication including the relevant details will be published in due course.

Change to Free Skating Draws at the ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2021

Exceptionally, the ISU Council decided to amend Rule 513 for the Free Skating Draws. For the Free Skating/Free Dance the starting order will be the reverse order of the result after the previous segment. This amendment will avoid a mass-gathering of the teams and allow for a better and safer flow of the athletes/delegations to transportation, the hotel restaurant etc. and will avoid all Skaters and Team Leaders leaving the rink at the same time after the competition.

I'm curious how it'll affect scores if top skaters will skate in the first group of the free skaters/free dances

2021 Qualifying Competition Figure Skating for the 2022 Olympic Winter Games - Nebelhorn Trophy, Oberstdorf (GER) September 22-25, 2021

The Council decided that, in accordance with ISU Regulations, Rule 400, paragraph 4, the Nebelhorn Trophy 2021, to be held on September 22-25, 2021 in Oberstdorf, Germany, will serve as the Figure Skating Qualifying Competition for the 2022 Olympic Winter Games.

It isn't really news, Nebelhorn has been an Olympic qualifying event for many years

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].