1 hour ago, river said:

Looks like the base values and GOE changes for next season are on hold, according to the new ISU communication.

"...based on feedback received from ISU Members..."  So what they're saying is that nobody thought having loop, flip, and lutz worth the same base value and adding yet another degree of under-rotation call to an already overly-complex and overly-subjective scoring system was a good idea? :emoticonaci2019_2:

You don't say! 

If ISU Figure spent half as much time trying to improve the judging technology and get more cameras at ice level and use machine learning to create software that counts rotations and checks edges as they do on pointless back-and-forth about scoring schemes, figure skating would be an objectively scored sport already, with no cheating. 

On 6/16/2020 at 8:52 PM, rockstaryuzu said:

After reading that interview, I have 3 thoughts:

1. They wouldn't need to make rules changes or switch to having a separate 'technical' and 'artistic' program if the judges actually followed the current rulebook when judging programs.

2. The real purpose of separating the two streams seems to me to be more about making it easier for judges to judge, rather than giving skaters with a more 'artistic' side a chance to win. The same thing could be accomplished with better use of technology, without changing events.

3. If they want to judge skating skills separately so as to give 'artistic' skaters more of a chance to win, that badly, then they can bring back school figures and screw everyone over honestly, instead of pretending. 

Forgive me for being sour, but I honestly fail to see a need to make such a change, since all the problems this is supposed to address can be adequately dealt with under the current system by judges judging according to the current actual stated rules. For once. 

They could also make it easier on judges by splitting the panel and having half to the TES score and half do the PCS for the same program. Maybe add a couple extra judges so that the average is across more people's judgement. 

29 minutes ago, FlyingCamel said:

:dancingeggplant:

(The replies on this tweet though, haha)

Any chance of a surprise Yuzu appearance though?

The more they talk about this event, the more I feel like it's meant for the skating community, and not fans.  which means that it fails in its primary goal of attracting more fans to the sport. 

42 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

The more they talk about this event, the more I feel like it's meant for the skating community, and not fans.  which means that it fails in its primary goal of attracting more fans to the sport. 

What makes you say this? 

45 минут назад, rockstaryuzu сказал:

Was there even such a goal? Or just Ari to promote his show/skaters?

2 hours ago, FlyingCamel said:

What makes you say this? 

1. the continued promotion of the awards show despite the almost universal disapproval of/disinterest in said thing by fans

2. the nature of the awards themselves (are they really the kind of awards fans are interested in seeing? I feel like they're more relevant to the skaters and coaches and so on)

3. some skaters have expressed excitement/interest in the thing on their social media (for example, KM-T showing off the dress she was planning to wear for the 'red carpet' event at Worlds)

4. the people promoting this (such as Zakarian) have expressed how great it will be for the skaters. 

5. gut feeling

2 hours ago, Lunna said:

Was there even such a goal? Or just Ari to promote his show/skaters?

It was originally pushed as part of the 'figure skating is dying, we need to get more fans in' narrative, back when it was first announced.