General Yuzuru Chat

54 minutes ago, Ladysci said:

Little late in answering.  I'm in a STEM field and so are my kids, so my experiences relate to that. At the Japanese med school I worked at and from the experience of my kids, they presented their thesis/report for their bachelor's degree at a meeting with members of their department or school (e.g., medical sciences, biological sciences) with a brief talk (about 30 min) and they were asked questions from the audience, but were usually not harshly questioned. For some students, they picked easy topics and others, harder, more challenging ones. Yuzu's thesis looks pretty intense to me! For Masters (1-2 years) and PhD 3-5 years), the thesis and dissertation, respectively, contained much more original data and the candidates presented their work to a committee of 4-6 faculty members and were "grilled" with much harsher questions; it's designed to determine if you really know your stuff and can explain your data, even negative results. My defense from a US university lasted about 3.5 hours after I presented my work----traumatic experience, but I survived!

From my experience as a faculty member in the UK, Masters and PhDs also wrote dissertations and presented and defended their work in front of a committee, similar to Japan and the US, and some of the committees I was on were  very rigorous, to put it kindly :rolleye0008:. No crying allowed, even if you feel like it :dizzy2: The undergrad course at my uni was a condensed one, three years, with very competitive students; and the fourth was really doing research for a Masters, so the system is different from that in Japan and the US.

Portions of graduate theses/dissertations are published in peer reviewed journals, and maybe even some undergraduate theses, but usually as part of a bigger paper. Copies of theses and dissertations are usually kept in the school library, or maybe online now. My old theses/dissertations are gathering dust at three different universities in the US :rofl: !

I see, overall pretty similar to my own experience then. I was wondering how much was translatable to Japan. Thank you for answering :67638860:

Everything he thinks and does is just so Extra Ordinary.  The boy never fails to impress or deliver - :mushroom5: with his 300% efforts and 120% response level :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:  

Out of my curiosity, in japan universities, what are recognitions like honors or Dean’s list available for the best in class?  Just ask first so that I would understand should it be announced later on :8788161:

Thanks first!  And for all the postings and translations!  :animated-smileys-animals-047:

9 hours ago, Rinnarsev said:

Also, I mean ISU really should have gotten better with the scoring of technical elements. Lol :peekapooh:

😂 I feel like he’s calling them out 🤣

I feel the same.

I thought, within a few years he may be able to point scoring problems in figure skating, and more or less force ISU to address them, but I would never had imagined he was already working on it for his thesis. So, officially he's just a student who researched and may publish about his field, but practically he's showing the way to ISU in his usual clever, thoughtful, patient, polite.. and rather imperative way. A genius is a genius, after all. He never ceases to surprise us.

How I'm happy!

And how I feel watered — have I ever been a cactus at all? My plant memory doesn't remember. :smiley-char023:

47 minutes ago, FlyingCamel said:

If Yuzuru wrote this it would actually be true XD

First time ever in the history of academia, possibly. Another record. 

It occurs to me that if Yuzu were in physics, this thesis would only be part one of a trilogy. He'd expand upon it in his Master's and also his Ph.D, especially if no one else is doing this kind of research in his field. The bachelor's thesis would be like the feasibility study of the technology, to see if it did offer promise to solve the problem he's looking to solve (i.e. Can I use this stuff to get data on skating performance?). The master's would be about translating the technology from the lab to the ice and trying to get viable data from 'real world' situations. And the doctoral dissertation would be all about using the on-ice 3-D motion capture system to analyse competition programs and grab data from them that could be used for training or scoring or whatever. 

And the post-doc would be scoring a whole competition using 3-D motion capture and AI for the technical score. But now I'm just talking nutty-bananas, utterly whackadoodle crazy fanyu talk, ja?* :animated-smileys-cheeky-053:

*sarcasm. This is sarcasm. 

Also, Yuzu, if you do decide to do a doctorate or post-doc, and need a research associate who's used to painstakingly measuring tedious amounts of data in minute detail, I'm your woman. I already count electrons for a living, I have the necessary skill set. :D

36 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

It occurs to me that if Yuzu were in physics, this thesis would only be part one of a trilogy. He'd expand upon it in his Master's and also his Ph.D, especially if no one else is doing this kind of research in his field. The bachelor's thesis would be like the feasibility study of the technology, to see if it did offer promise to solve the problem he's looking to solve (i.e. Can I use this stuff to get data on skating performance?). The master's would be about translating the technology from the lab to the ice and trying to get viable data from 'real world' situations. And the doctoral dissertation would be all about using the on-ice 3-D motion capture system to analyse competition programs and grab data from them that could be used for training or scoring or whatever. 

And the post-doc would be scoring a whole competition using 3-D motion capture and AI for the technical score. But now I'm just talking nutty-bananas, utterly whackadoodle crazy fanyu talk, ja?* :animated-smileys-cheeky-053:

Also, Yuzu, if you do decide to do a doctorate or post-doc, and need a research associate who's used to painstakingly measuring tedious amounts of data in minute detail, I'm your woman. I already count electrons for a living, I have the necessary skill set. :D

Actually all these sounds doable, if it was Yuzu doing it (maybe after he retires from competition), in a post-pandemic world.

I am not familiar with theses writing as my degree doesn't require one. I am curious how he should describe the photo (Seimei i think) in the thesis :laughing:?

Can he say that the photo is capturing the author's skating? Or the photo description should be "two-time Olympics champion Yuzuru Hanyu" to make it more objective?

:peek:

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

A trilogy in four parts? But since Douglas Adams' Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy, everybody know a trilogy has five parts. :jester:

What about your level in Japanese? 0:)

I'm absolutely wild tonight. I wonder why? :lol: I'm so happy!:Pineapple:

More seriously, I think a research can work the same (Bachelor-Master-PhD or even more, developing from an initial subject) in other fields, even humanistic ones. From a close relative's experience, a trap when you have already in mind the spin (or more) of your PhD, is to put (or want to put) too much in the initial thesis, occasioning delays.