General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, Fay said:

Hmmm, then Yuzu had it on loan for quite a while. :P 

It depends on how he did his experiments... but the device may not be so expensive compared to some of the audio devices he already has... 

I tried to read the thesis too :68468287: The part shown on TV looked like a discussion on the motion capture's abilities and limitations in capturing figure skating movements. Wish I could read the whole thing!

By the way, he appeared in the 24TV in another way. This is a live-painted fan depicted Sendai's local festivals painted by Hikaru Saotome, who was born in Sendai as well, and the figure dancing in the center is Yuzu dancing Suzume Odori (sparrow dance)

ETA: Found a snippet of the segment

This is getting very out of topic but I wanted to add my knowledge as a university lecturer to the mix

First, about the expensive technology. Many Universities have research groups that work on similar topics of research, so buying expensive technology or resources is a good investment because it is usually used by many students and for different projects. I know I did that for my thesis when I bought very expensive 3D cameras that were later added to the research group resources for others to use.

Second, the resources or references section of the thesis. That will not include Yuzu's name unless he has already published something before. This section is about related work and the methods used which he did not create. The data section will be all his naturally. This is very much the norm for experimental studies that use real life data instead of already existing data sets.

Most importantly, I am very impressed with His choice of topic and technology to work with. This is a graduation project that is usually something very easy and mundane for most students. They just do it to get their degree. He chose a difficult topic that needs a lot of work and I am sure the analysis are not easy for an undergraduate student. I don't know about Japanese Universities but our students will never be able to handle such topics. It is too difficult for them. I really hope his thesis gets published and translated as I am very interested in reading it.

Только что, Neenah сказал:

This is getting very out of topic but I wanted to add my knowledge as a university lecturer to the mix

First, about the expensive technology. Many Universities have research groups that work on similar topics of research, so buying expensive technology or resources is a good investment because it is usually used by many students and for different projects. I know I did that for my thesis when I bought very expensive 3D cameras that were later added to the research group resources for others to use.

Second, the resources or references section of the thesis. That will not include Yuzu's name unless he has already published something before. This section is about related work and the methods used which he did not create. The data section will be all his naturally. This is very much the norm for experimental studies that use real life data instead of already existing data sets.

Most importantly, I am very impressed with His choice of topic and technology to work with. This is a graduation project that is usually something very easy and mundane for most students. They just do it to get their degree. He chose a difficult topic that needs a lot of work and I am sure the analysis are not easy for an undergraduate student. I don't know about Japanese Universities but our students will never be able to handle such topics. It is too difficult for them. I really hope his thesis gets published and translated as I am very interested in reading it.

It would be great! Interestingly, Japanese law permits the publication of dissertations, does Japanese copyright permit that?

I would love to read the translation, despite the fact that I have a humanistic education and do not really understand in technical disciplines)))

Many thanks for the updates.  :happy:

5 hours ago, BWOZWaltz said:

I'm crying ... : tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw: Yuzu finally finished his thesis for the university.

Wow ....Congratulations to Yuzu.  I’m so happy for him.  :heartpound:

5 hours ago, IceWings said:

Here's a quick translation of the segment. Congrats Yuzu!! 

This sounds really interesting. So proud of Yuzu. :tumblr_inline_nhkezmYSxk1qid2nw:

It's so typical of Yuzuru to determine the timing of letting the world know when and how he has graduated - he must have been on the phone quick when Waseda called him an alumni!!  THIS timing is marvellous, we cant watch in awe as he skates at the moment, but we CAN marvel at his dedication to figure skating and his evident intellect and his motivation to use this time usefully both for himself and potentially for his beloved sport too.  And in addition, we are all cheered, and so proud of him :grin_clapping:

18 hours ago, Neenah said:

Totally agreed. When I saw his topic, I thought it could be a master degree or even PHD level of difficulty in my university. For undergraduate students, they often choose easier and bland topic most of the time because there's more academic sources/references/expert's help. There's very few researchs about FS so alot more work for him. I used to work in library and the fact that many students don't even try to access to our dabadases to get academic sources just drive me crazy sometimes. And to think he might have to work from scratch for some parts make me impressed.  I hope one day we could have chance to read his thesis. 

6 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Most masters theses get published by the university the student is attached too, if the thesis is accepted by them. Normally only to put a copy in the university's library though. I wonder if Waseda makes their students' published theses available for reference online.

I would be surprised if they are not available online.  While I'm in the US I do know that my doctoral dissertation, which was finished in 1986, is available online for purchase.  I can't imagine that a university which has a large part of its tutorial activities online does not make the graduate theses available online also.  Exactly where and how to do so I would think can be discovered by going to the university's website.

2 hours ago, TallyT said:

When a student submits their proposed research topic right at the start, they (and if they've already talked it through with the Faculty, someone there like the proposed supervisor) usually also come up with the list of the resources needed and from my time working at university, this is considered before their proposal is accepted. I can't see Waseda approving such a resource-heavy proposal unless they had/were arranging what was necessary or Yuzuru made it clear he was covering that part of the cost. When you think of his earnings the last few years, he can more than afford it, and probably has plans for anything he bought post-graduation.

Waseda is a wealthy institution, though, so they could also afford it as long as they were able to justify it for staff or other students. Remember, Yuzuru Hanyu is very much a prized student to them, they make that very clear.

Hi guys. It's been a long time since I visited (busy protesting in USA and trying very hard not to kill myself,) but I've been keeping up with Yuzu news through Twitter, so THIS NEWS made me come running back to the Planet. 

I am 100% positive that our little tech glutton, sound equipment collector, and gaming enthusiast who is obsessed with the future of figure skating  bought this tech for himself and can't wait to use it on the ice. In fact, I think he wrote this thesis so he could "kill two birds with one stone." He probably plans to use it to help him land Bessie.

2 hours ago, Veveco said:

Do students have to defend their thesis for a bachelor's degree in Japan? I know it's different from country to country...

Little late in answering.  I'm in a STEM field and so are my kids, so my experiences relate to that. At the Japanese med school I worked at and from the experience of my kids, they presented their thesis/report for their bachelor's degree at a meeting with members of their department or school (e.g., medical sciences, biological sciences) with a brief talk (about 30 min) and they were asked questions from the audience, but were usually not harshly questioned. For some students, they picked easy topics and others, harder, more challenging ones. Yuzu's thesis looks pretty intense to me! For Masters (1-2 years) and PhD 3-5 years), the thesis and dissertation, respectively, contained much more original data and the candidates presented their work to a committee of 4-6 faculty members and were "grilled" with much harsher questions; it's designed to determine if you really know your stuff and can explain your data, even negative results. My defense from a US university lasted about 3.5 hours after I presented my work----traumatic experience, but I survived!

From my experience as a faculty member in the UK, Masters and PhDs also wrote dissertations and presented and defended their work in front of a committee, similar to Japan and the US, and some of the committees I was on were  very rigorous, to put it kindly :rolleye0008:. No crying allowed, even if you feel like it :dizzy2: The undergrad course at my uni was a condensed one, three years, with very competitive students; and the fourth was really doing research for a Masters, so the system is different from that in Japan and the US.

Portions of graduate theses/dissertations are published in peer reviewed journals, and maybe even some undergraduate theses, but usually as part of a bigger paper. Copies of theses and dissertations are usually kept in the school library, or maybe online now. My old theses/dissertations are gathering dust at three different universities in the US :rofl: !