General Yuzuru Chat

16 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I agree with this 100%. And the sport has learned nothing from it since, if what happened at Canadian Nationals* this past winter is any indication. They really need to update their first aid/ medical protocols for competitions. 

*I'm talking about the junior pairs skater who fell from six feet up flat down on the ice when her partner tripped and fell while she was mid air in a twist. They let her skate afterwards but she should have been immediately sent to an ER. 

Or Cain/Leduc being allowed to finish their program at Golden Spin 2018 after she fell out of a lift onto her head and was obviously dazed for the rest of the skate. Figure skating needs a head (and neck, @Geo1 is right) injury protocol. We know it’s a high-risk sport, I have no idea why the ISU hasn’t done something.

....I thought everyone knows that Yuzu was cleared up for skating in CoC '14 by the (Team USA) doctor?

Yeah, Brian and mama Hanyu also supported him for that decision (ie. continue skating after the collision), but as far as I know it, it was the doctor that cleared him to go (at that time he didn't diagnose anything grave (head concussion or something adjacent to that)).

Now would I call the doctor's decision reckless? Probably. The medical team available at the field (...which as @Geo1 has pointed out, was actually lacking, and the one available was the one from Team USA and some officials helping Yuzu off the ice after the collision) should have urged Yuzu and his team to check again at the hospital. The medical team rinkside should be better equipped to to give first aid for any kind of situations, but as we saw the ones helping Yuzu off the ice didn't even have crampons on their shoes. (Anyhow those familiar with first aid and medical help should be able to explain the situation better, as some has commented, but I feel like it can still be explained more...)

56 minutes ago, Geo1 said:

The problem is that the two people who came on the ice to assist Yuzu did not adhere to any proper emergency protocol.

They should have examined Yuzu, told him to remain still and taken the precaution of stabilizing his neck in case he had a spine injury. They should have had a stretcher and placed Yuzu on it in order to remove him from the ice instead of immediately helping him onto his unsteady legs and requiring him to stagger off the ice on his own power.

It is my understanding that there was no official doctor available for the competition and that Yuzu received emergency medical treatment from the American team doctor.

After the Kiss and Cry, when it was obvious that Yuzu was unable to stand and walk on his own and Kikuchi-san was having difficulty assisting him, they should have had a wheelchair available.

I found the manner in which Yuzu’s injury was handled by COC and its alleged medical staff totally inadequate and upsetting.

I am the same. I often re-watch Yuzu’s 2014 COC free skate now and find it inspirational.

What I have difficulty watching is what occurs after the free skate with Yuzu staggering off the ice into Brian’s arms, crying uncontrollably in the Kiss and Cry and Kikuchi-san and the other Team Japan member struggling to get Yuzu backstage.

I think that it is just a typographical error, but the Japanese word for “jump” is “tobe” and, yes, this is what Yuzu screamed out.

You are right, thank you!

4 hours ago, Geo1 said:

The problem is that the two people who came on the ice to assist Yuzu did not adhere to any proper emergency protocol.

They should have examined Yuzu, told him to remain still and taken the precaution of stabilizing his neck in case he had a spine injury. They should have had a stretcher and placed Yuzu on it in order to remove him from the ice instead of immediately helping him onto his unsteady legs and requiring him to stagger off the ice on his own power.

It is my understanding that there was no official doctor available for the competition and that Yuzu received emergency medical treatment from the American team doctor.

After the Kiss and Cry, when it was obvious that Yuzu was unable to stand and walk on his own and Kikuchi-san was having difficulty assisting him, they should have had a wheelchair available.

I found the manner in which Yuzu’s injury was handled by COC and its alleged medical staff totally inadequate and upsetting.

Spoiler

yeah, the way it was handled was the most upsetting thing.

And yes, it looks like there was no official doctor, so he received assistance by the US medical team. From his words and the footage tbh it doesn't look like the was somehting like official doctors (or maybe there were, but they split work with US doctors and were tending Yan instead? who was assisting him?)

Yuzu was, indeed, cleared to compete, so it wasn't just him being stubborn and mulish and saying "the heck with it, gonna compete at any cost". But he was also advised not to, which I guess was the most USA team doctors could do for a skater not in their team. Yeah, probably if they had told him squarely  "you cannot possibly compete, you'll kill yourself", Yuzuru would have relented and WD. They didn't, so he decided to take his chances. But the point is that ISU should put in place a clear protocol on what to do in this kind of situations and who gets to decide, at what point skaters don't get to make the final call.

I'm all for skaters making their choices, but in matters like health things usually are very complex and informed consent can't be claimed fully if you're asking someone(especially a minor) to suddenly make in a few minutes a choice with consequences they don't have time to process (or maybe even imagine). All of this while they are probalby in pain, possibly shaken mentally too.

We know Yuzu could still coolly assess what he had to do, he even managed to recalculate his whole layout, but in other occasions skaters were visibly dazed and still no one stopped them.

Skaters getting up from freakish falls and going on as if it were nothing is considered so normal that some instances, like the COC collision and the examples of that canadian jr pair at Nats and Golden Spin 2018, aren't treated with all the caution they'd deserve.

The fact that despite the HUGE resonance of COC2014 we still had those kind of accidents in 2018 and 2019, involving juniors even, just shows how much work needs to be done even just to bring awareness among the officials. ISU should be taking care of putting better protocols in place and applying them.

And they should be the ones demanding presence of medics and other adeguately trained staff at every comp, possibly with fluency in english too (since that's the language many skaters understand and, if they don't, someone in their own staff should be able to translate).

Honestly, ISU should just appoint their own specialized staff just like they appoint judges, tech panel and referee. I'd argue that having people able to tend to injured skaters would be as important as having people able to spot an UR or call stsq levels:shrug:

And as I said, medical staff should be able to immediately have the referee stop a comp, if they suspect that something might be wrong.

Gosh we're swinging in the gloomy phase of Drought, missing Zuzu and with no oasis in sight :13877886: Anything sunshine-y to chat about?:68468287:

(edited out some quotes that happened 'cause firefox saves old drafts sorry)

1 hour ago, Geo1 said:

I am the same. I often re-watch Yuzu’s 2014 COC free skate now and find it inspirational.

What I have difficulty watching is what occurs after the free skate with Yuzu staggering off the ice into Brian’s arms, crying uncontrollably in the Kiss and Cry and Kikuchi-san and the other Team Japan member struggling to get Yuzu backstage.

I think that it is just a typographical error, but the Japanese word for “jump” is “tobe” and, yes, this is what Yuzu screamed out.

Regarding the stretcher, I think in a talkshow (was it Kenji's room in 2015?), Yuzu said that he saw it and he thought no way in hell would he get on that thing :grin:, so he just walked out like the mad man that he was and is LOL.

The whole chat is actually hilarious (while still kind of terrifying), so there, something light to think and talk about now :space:

3 hours ago, Melodie said:

The whole chat is actually hilarious (while still kind of terrifying)

If that ain't 70% of being Yuzu's fan in a nutshell, I don't know what is. The other 50% being, of course, the :surprised_pikachu::cri::softYuzu::snpeace:parts. 

Yes that adds up to 120%. If Yuzu gives 120%, then I will too. :smiley-cool14:

1 minute ago, Umebachi said:

Something cheerful to look forward to:  PJ Kwong is interviewing Brian and Tracy tomorrow morning 10 AM EDT.  Might we hope for some updates on our cryptid? 

https://www.facebook.com/SkatingPj/live/

Oooh, exciting! 

Also on a lighter note: it's not really Yuzu-related, but will definitely cheer us up! Also, would a proper Scotsman's kilt be considered a costume violation? 

11 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Oooh, exciting! 

Also on a lighter note: it's not really Yuzu-related, but will definitely cheer us up! Also, would a proper Scotsman's kilt be considered a costume violation? 

Shouldn't be a violation - though the sock color is all wrong, and he is wearing something underneath, which is not traditional, but they'd have definitely gotten a violation for that.  It's also too short.  A kilt should end at mid-kneecap.  But I'm just being picky.  Love a man in a kilt.  (Sure beats wearing a half Nazi/half concentration camp costume -that one should have been disallowed.)

11 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Oooh, exciting! 

I've never seen this before! 

OMG they're so bold

In the kiss&cry he kinda doesn't know how to sit:grin: