General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, yuzuangel said:

Let's be real, ivy leagues (well, some of them) aren't known to have difficult exams:noshake:

I understand pre-med is special. I mean, you can pass every year with easily earned good marks if that's the policy of your university, but at the end of fourth year, you have to be good enough to enter a medical school. Though I wasn't aware the grades in pre-med and recommendation were part of it, which can change things a lot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_school_in_the_United_States

9 minutes ago, SitTwizzle said:

I understand pre-med is special. I mean, you can pass every year with easily earned good marks if that's the policy of your university, but at the end of fourth year, you have to be good enough to enter a medical school. Though I wasn't aware the grades in pre-med and recommendation were part of it, which can change things a lot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_school_in_the_United_States

Not really, premed is just getting good grades and having extracurriculars (of which, figure skating can be one) and recommendations letters. (Some) ivies make it very easy to get good grades and hence you'll see on forums and stuff for graduating high school students that it's extremely advantageous to be able to attend Harvard, Yale, etc. over state schools and schools with grade deflation because your GPA will naturally be higher for the same amount of work. You don't even have to be a "pre-med" major; in fact, there's no such thing. Any major can apply for med school if you have the prereqs and take the MCAT. 

2 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

Not really, premed is just getting good grades and having extracurriculars (of which, figure skating can be one) and recommendations letters. (Some) ivies make it very easy to get good grades and hence you'll see on forums and stuff for graduating high school students that it's extremely advantageous to be able to attend Harvard, Yale, etc. over state schools and schools with grade deflation because your GPA will naturally be higher for the same amount of work. You don't even have to be a "pre-med" major; in fact, there's no such thing. Any major can apply for med school if you have the prereqs and take the MCAT. 

I had no idea it was that rotten. So he's even more forced to do whatever he is told to.

and how's the MCAT?

Spoiler

In France, at the moment there's a fierce competition at the end of first year (pass rate around 20%, determined for each university for regional medical demographic motives, this is being changed for a three-year-long, less anonymous process), and at the end of the sixth year (to have the right to chose the most attractive specialities, and for each speciality, the best internships, you must be ahead of the "crowd"), they have their pros and cons but they are anonymous! There's already enough "push" later, for what we call "sons of archbishops" to secure tenures, at least people without support can become doctors. I know a "maybe GOAT", at least a "phenomenon" of surgery in his speciality, his peers come from far away to see him proceed (well, he doesn't have social media, just like the 3 GOAT I know in arts), at 60 he still doesn't have a tenure — it must be said he always let others put their names in first, second or last position in surveys, or even doesn't want to appear on the names list, but he should have been tenured in his thirties, not long after his "habilitation à diriger des recherches" and students still want to have him as doctorate director in spite of the lack of recognition it will bring from the "decision-makers" (officially, the Conseil national des Universités). I can't imagine who would be appointed professor should the sixth year competition not be anonymous, and worse, should it depend on subjective "appreciations".

3 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

I have gone through Ivy League schools (undergrad and grad schools) and there is quite a variance in the level of academic difficulties depending on your choice of majors and departments.  These schools give you advantages later in life in terms of branding and name recognition, and an entrance into the "elite" societies.  Looking back on my experience, I have come to abhor and disdain this elitist approach to education - which pervades so many countries, including US (despite the pretense to being a "merit based" society) and of course, my home country Japan (and in France and other so-called "democratic" countries).  I can assure you that I did not find my moral compass at Princeton or Harvard - although these schools provided excellent preparation for my later "career".  We should instead look to the content of the education and the moral and ethical values being imparted through the learning process.   I respect Yuzu for selecting the subjects of his studies which allow him to explore more deeply and intellectually what he is living as an athlete - a complete package of athletic and intellectual competence!  There is wisdom and integrity in his choice.   As for me - it's only now,  after retiring from my "career" that I am finally learning to appreciate what is important in life, and resuming the phase of learning with wonderment - something Yuzu has helped me to regain after 30 years of "elitist" institutional work that wore me and burned me out.     

More off-topic reflections: 

Spoiler

I agree that the intellectual/academic rigours of Ivy League schools can be over-rated and the quality of education does vary considerably from department to department.  You need to have had good grades and some interesting narrative in your background to make it into these schools, but these are not good measures of human capacity or potential.  And unfair advantages are granted to those who had access to resources and a good grasp of the politics of US college admissions (such as how to do well on SATs and how to present yourself as "leadership" material).  

I admit that those of us majoring in the "hard sciences" were rather arrogant towards the "pre-meds" whom we considered light-weights because their science requirements were quite basic; then in grad school we continued to look down on med students for being protocol-driven and not scientifically rigorous in their studies...  These were unfair thoughts and I regret having them.  Human ego often gets in the way of treating others fairly.  As for Nathan, I respect him for pursuing his studies and ambition to enter the medical profession.  It must reflect his inner desire to help others - he seems to be a thoughtful and humble human, and he will surely make good use of his education - whether it takes place in Yale or elsewhere.   

1 hour ago, Umebachi said:

I have gone through Ivy League schools (undergrad and grad schools) and there is quite a variance in the level of academic difficulties depending on your choice of majors and departments.  These schools give you advantages later in life in terms of branding and name recognition, and an entrance into the "elite" societies.  Looking back on my experience, I have come to abhor and disdain this elitist approach to education - which pervades so many countries, including US (despite the pretense to being a "merit based" society) and of course, my home country Japan (and in France and other so-called "democratic" countries).  I can assure you that I did not find my moral compass at Princeton or Harvard - although these schools provided excellent preparation for my later "career".  We should instead look to the content of the education and the moral and ethical values being imparted through the learning process.   I respect Yuzu for selecting the subjects of his studies which allow him to explore more deeply and intellectually what he is living as an athlete - a complete package of athletic and intellectual competence!  There is wisdom and integrity in his choice.   As for me - it's only now,  after retiring from my "career" that I am finally learning to appreciate what is important in life, and resuming the phase of learning with wonderment - something Yuzu has helped me to regain after 30 years of "elitist" institutional work that wore me and burned me out.     

More off-topic reflections: 

Hide contents

I agree that the intellectual/academic rigours of Ivy League schools can be over-rated and the quality of education does vary considerably from department to department.  You need to have had good grades and some interesting narrative in your background to make it into these schools, but these are not good measures of human capacity or potential.  And unfair advantages are granted to those who had access to resources and a good grasp of the politics of US college admissions (such as how to do well on SATs and how to present yourself as "leadership" material).  

I admit that those of us majoring in the "hard sciences" were rather arrogant towards the "pre-meds" whom we considered light-weights because their science requirements were quite basic; then in grad school we continued to look down on med students for being protocol-driven and not scientifically rigorous in their studies...  These were unfair thoughts and I regret having them.  Human ego often gets in the way of treating others fairly.  As for Nathan, I respect him for pursuing his studies and ambition to enter the medical profession.  It must reflect his inner desire to help others - he seems to be a thoughtful and humble human, and he will surely make good use of his education - whether it takes place in Yale or elsewhere.   

That's one thing I admire particularly with Yuzuru Hanyu. Being so wise, conscious of the shortcomings in the skating world (he was already clear about it in 2015 with Mansai Nomura, I don't know if he was already underscored), and still fighting by the only way of excellence, though at GPF we could have a glance at the "inner boiling" such injustice provoked... Of course this integrity reflects in his choice of subject. I wondered too, if choosing a private university, which could of course come from there being only this proposing a subject he wanted to study, or affording him the flexibility he needed, may not have come from the reasoning that he was not a Japanese taxpayer at the moment, and wouldn't want to weigh on Japanese public financing (as for national and public universities).

Spoiler

As to France "elitism", I wish to mention we don't have only "grandes écoles for the arrogant", we also have much smaller "niche" ones, with very few students and a few university departments, where one can meet research excellence and motivation and hard work, and as they are not very well known of the greater public (except maybe École normale supérieure for "hard science" — including 2 medical students per year — I wouldn't vouch anymore about humanities), the mindset there is quite different.

8 hours ago, SitTwizzle said:

I wondered too, if choosing a private university, which could of course come from there being only this proposing a subject he wanted to study, or affording him the flexibility he needed, may not have come from the reasoning that he was not a Japanese taxpayer at the moment, and wouldn't want to weigh on Japanese public financing (as for national and public universities).

Hide contents

I’m sure that Yuzu is paying significant tax in Japan for his income from commercial endorsements.

Edit: Yuzu probably conferred with his father and had his own reasons for deciding to attend Waseda University, but the fact that Shizuka Arakawa had attended and graduated from Waseda may have been one consideration.

15 hours ago, rubyblue said:

Earlier today, instead of following clownery plaint by some american ignorant lobbyst, I rewatched this amazing post Oly press conference in the Foreign Corespondents' Club of Japan. Once again I'm blown away by some amazing reflections by Yuzu, eg. about  Asian skaters being often perceived as less expressive or a brilliant answer for a really difficult question about meeting North Korean athletes. A lot of charming and fun moments as well (like potato chips). Not a new content but it's good to listen to a wise person while some dumb uncle pops up with sth again.

I love the way he says chips ;)

So cute!

Sorry I haven't watched it since 2018 so that's the main thing I remember lol

All the talk on the Top 5 Programs thread led me to rewatch the final group of the men's SP from 2018 Olympics today. I skipped Nathan's because it's heartbreaking to watch (I think that program going the way it did for him at the Olympics had a big positive impact on his attitude and headspace and is part of his  success (on a personal level, not talking GOE and candies) and consistency now). I'd forgotten how great Shoma's was even though he had some moments he really had to fight for. I hadn't watched the interviews before. I really felt for Nathan giving his interview - unpleasant questions to have to answer before he was ready about what was probably one of the toughest days of his life. And then Yuzu. So pale. Our poor boy did not look well at all. Those painkillers must have been strong. But he seemed so relieved and happy (in such a serene way) that he was able to skate as well as he ever had. 

Now for FS. 

9 minutes ago, memae said:

All the talk on the Top 5 Programs thread led me to rewatch the final group of the men's SP from 2018 Olympics today. I skipped Nathan's because it's heartbreaking to watch (I think that program going the way it did for him at the Olympics had a big positive impact on his attitude and headspace and is part of his  success (on a personal level, not talking GOE and candies) and consistency now). I'd forgotten how great Shoma's was even though he had some moments he really had to fight for. I hadn't watched the interviews before. I really felt for Nathan giving his interview - unpleasant questions to have to answer before he was ready about what was probably one of the toughest days of his life. And then Yuzu. So pale. Our poor boy did not look well at all. Those painkillers must have been strong. But he seemed so relieved and happy (in such a serene way) that he was able to skate as well as he ever had. 

Now for FS. 

Lol. I Just watched the sp final flight too!! That was a fight, that sp. How differently he skates now!!