General Yuzuru Chat

4 hours ago, rubyblue said:

Because it's using someone's ethnic origins (which is imo very sensitive element of people sense of identity as well as voulnerable for building many stereotypes and prejudices) to  carry speculations and insinuations. I don't find it right at all. -> sorry not sorry for explaining

Then you shouldn't "use" anyone's ethnic origin to discuss... anything? Is it a taboo? Is it the fact that it's not 100% certain that makes it not right? You say it's speculation, but it might be real. And if it were real or not, there wouldn't jave been no judgement whatsoever on the athletes per se. 

2 hours ago, robin said:

Depending on how and in what context this statement is instrumentalized I think it can be racist. Ofc I am not speaking about Ambesi's intentions here... but people aren't always intentionally racist. I also don't think he said anyone is trying to create a story (or a media narrative). He claimed that it is to their advantage that they are of Chinese decent and I think that is something that could be discussed as being racist.

Give me the dictionary definition of racist and we can talk about it some more. 

22 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

Then you shouldn't "use" anyone's ethnic origin to discuss... anything? Is it a taboo? Is it the fact that it's not 100% certain that makes it not right? You say it's speculation, but it might be real. And if it were real or not, there wouldn't jave been no judgement whatsoever on the athletes per se. 

Context is important here. Saying American skaters have a strong fed backing isn't racist because, well first, being American isn't a race, and that is just a fact supported with large amounts of data. But saying that Chinese American skaters get special treatment because of their ethnicity isn't backed by any facts, and in fact flies in the face of how many Asian-Americans and other minorities are treated in sport and media in the US. So for someone like Max who has no experience being Asian or Asian-American (or even American) to make these claims without any facts, is at best very racially insensitive, even if his intentions aren't racist. I mean saying "N and A are being overscored because they have Chinese ancestry" when the majority of skaters who are overscored are not of Chinese ancestry is, well, is exhibiting a lot of subconscious racial bias. If the Olympics were held in Europe and Nathan were White, would Ambeesi's mind ever jump to such a conclusion?

Also keep in mind Max didn't say "It would be cool if the US used Nathan and Alysa's background as a marketing point for Beijing 2022," he said "They are probably overscored because they are Chinese-American and the Olympics are in Beijing." There's a difference between the two; one is a celebration of their ethnicity and the other is an accusation of special treatment. 

3 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

Yes, in my opinion, you shouldn't. At least in the context of FS scoring patterns discussion. But I guess we have quite different sensitivity towards this issue. Let's stick to our own opinions.

21 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

Give me the dictionary definition of racist and we can talk about it some more. 

You really don’t need to be so defensive of Max. I have not said he is racist. I have said what he said can be racist depending on context.

Although I get teary when I hear it, Barber’s Adagio for Strings is beautiful and should it ever be considered for a skating program I could not imagine anyone other than Yuzuru doing it. I know nothing about music but there is a part a few minutes in when the key changes(or maybe tempo?) and  the music rises and you can imagine the sun coming out from behind clouds, and I can think only Yuzu would be able to transmit  the emotion of that moment.  ( ok , and maybe Jason B.)  anyhow, happy Friday all!

I think Max was conflating two things that are somewhat related, but separate, and he should have been more specific and clear. Nathan and Alysa aren't overscored because they're Chinese-American. They're overscored because they're American and USFS is a powerful fed that politics aggressively for their chosen skaters. Where Nathan and Alysa's Chinese heritage will come into play is with NBC when they start pushing their media narratives going into the Olympics. Someone upthread was wondering whether the American media would be dumb enough to assume that Nathan and Alysa will have massive popularity among Chinese fans simply because they're of Chinese descent and yes, the American media absolutely will be dumb enough to think that. They're not going to look into the Chinese fandom and realize that Yuzu is way more popular than Nathan and Alysa combined, or that some Chinese fans aren't that into Nathan because of stuff like the Mao's Last Dancer program. But the thing is that while narratives that are created for PR and politicking purposes do often affect the scoring, there's not a direct equation of Nathan & Alysa are Chinese-American = inflated scores, and Max shouldn't have mushed the two things together in such a vague way. 

1 hour ago, robin said:

I love this for Yuzu :) 

(I doubt he‘ll actually go tho)

During the week the ROM can be very quiet if you pick your time carefully...

If this was in Montreal, I'd say the curator was very savvy... knowing what else is happening in Montreal, in March, with a certain Pooh Bear...

7 hours ago, Geo1 said:

Article regarding Google Search 2019:

"First responders who have saved countless lives and public figures, including Japanese figure skater Yuzuru Hanyu and BTS are also featured in this video. To say that this video will leave you in tears is an understatement since it is basically just a collection of everything awesome and wholesome in 2019."

https://www.scoopwhoop.com/news/this-tearjerker-video-of-google-year-in-recap-shows-we-were-all-in-search-of-heroes-in-2019/

You're right, google! Zu's 3lz is awesome!:2thumbsup:

5 hours ago, Henni147 said:

Summary of this interview:

Lady Lutzifer takes away the pressure from Yuzu's other quads.

4Lo's reaction: "Thank God, I'm no longer in the spotlight. It's so stressful to be no. 1 in the quad arsenal."

4S' reaction: "Oh yes, the music in the second half suits me much better. I'm so happy with my new home in the layout!"

3Lz' reaction: Wow! My big sister, quad Lutzifer, is so huuuge!! I want to fly that high, too!"

4T's reaction: "Our new nakama 4Lz gives us so much energy and confidence!"

3A's reaction: "That's all wonderful, but what about me?"

Awww, 4lo is just shy.

Meanwhile Nessie's lurking from afar. I wonder if she wants to join the team.:67638860: