General Yuzuru Chat

29 minutes ago, OonsieHui said:

"Meanwhile, the American Chen ascended to win the last two world titles, outscoring Hanyu in their last three head-to-head programs dating to the 2018 Olympic free skate" 

Well, they obviously don't like to look back to the last four head-to-head programs, Nathan's desaster in the Olympic SP does not fit their narratives.

I didn't expect anything else from NBC to be honest. They try to twist things as they like and make Yuzu look as bad as possible, which is quite an achievement considering his success, quality and star status worldwide.

With how much sh*t NBC is under lately (Farrow's Catch and Kill tell-all for context), yeah. No. They can spin for their liking, I wouldn't pay attention to them. Neither would the US general public, who should be paying attention to other things, like making sure their democracy doesn't die, for example.

As for US FS fans, those who know better, know better. Those who don't, maybe this will help them sleep at night in their ignorance. Let them.

The funny thing is, I've been reading the local Kelowna newspaper, and obviously they focus on the Canadian results but... they don't need to shade anyone. And they talk of all the different Canadians in the event, not just the big names. Meanwhile NBC is still - Camden who? Never heard. Weak field.

1 hour ago, OonsieHui said:

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2019/10/27/yuzuru-hanyu-wins-skate-canada/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

So I didn't intend to post at all (because I feel ashamed that I basically am now a part time swanyu who can only catch comps because LIFE), but someone tell me if NBC is really at it again or whether I'm just being sensitive? 

"Hanyu prevailed over a field lacking any of the other top-10 skaters from last season" (that's like normally the case for the early part of the GP though??)

"The two-time Olympic champion, with four quadruple jumps in his free skate en route to 322.59 total points, only upped anticipation for showdowns with American Nathan Chen to come later this season." (Because clearly they had to pull the attention back where it belongs)

"Meanwhile, the American Chen ascended to win the last two world titles, outscoring Hanyu in their last three head-to-head programs dating to the 2018 Olympic free skate" 

Nothing they wrote is false, but its the subtle spin on the language choices? Or maybe this is all perfectly reasonable and I'm just being sensitive but for some reason in reacting strongly to this article...

In English we have this lesson on discord and narrative, basically your choice of noun, phrase and sentence placement reveals a LOT about your intention. You're not overthinking, it is intentional.

Click-baity and sensational articles attract more views in US for some reason, and they need that for ad revenue. The US media has been polarising its people for decades since they successfully lobbied the government to deregulate the media, resulting in a overwhelming control of the scene. Now most news outlets in US are owned by a few companies, and they alone have the power to dictate who gets more coverage in the entire country. And profit is a big motivation here. 

Just watch this video on "This is what happens when one company owns dozens of local news stations", and the result of having impunity. 

Having seen this shit since the Olympics I've became zen though. They'll always prioritise their own pockets over objectivity. Until we buy out all their shares nothing will change that.  

40 minutes ago, Veveco said:

The funny thing is, I've been reading the local Kelowna newspaper, and obviously they focus on the Canadian results but... they don't need to shade anyone. And they talk of all the different Canadians in the event, not just the big names. Meanwhile NBC is still - Camden who? Never heard. Weak field.

This is so true. It's the second time in a row that they completely ignore Camden. It's his first senior GP and a 4th place is a great result for him, he even finished second after the SP with a clean and well-rounded program. Considering that Vincent skips this season's GP series (maybe the full season?) Camden is a serious contender for a 4CC or Worlds spot. Same goes for Jason, who finished second at Skate America last week. They just don't seem to exist in the presence of Nathan Chen, at least in the eyes of NBC and co. I cannot believe that Nathan himself supports this poisoned and one-dimensional media coverage.

However, the air gets thinner. Even the ISU himself talks officially about Yuzuru Hanyu, the GOAT, now. I didn't expect that to happen anytime soon, but it happened. Yuzu enforced this with his pure quality and style. :dancingpooh:

43 minutes ago, monchan said:

Wow he even mentioned Kanysheva? It means he watched JGP too? Kanysheva hasn't competed this ss that's the only way he can know:

As I mentioned in another thread, there's no way Yuzu doesn't follow skating closer than 99% of us. I mean this is entertainment for us (although it feels so all consuming this weekend it doesn't just feel like entertainment!), whereas figure skating is Yuzu's life's work. He probably watches all the JGPs, GPs, CSs, etc. and has his own opinions on judging, competitors, etc. He just doesn't make it public (except he evidently though the 4T calls at ACI were bs, just like the rest of us!).

edit: now that I think about it, though, I'm dying to know his opinions. 

5 hours ago, OonsieHui said:

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2019/10/27/yuzuru-hanyu-wins-skate-canada/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

So I didn't intend to post at all (because I feel ashamed that I basically am now a part time swanyu who can only catch comps because LIFE), but someone tell me if NBC is really at it again or whether I'm just being sensitive? 

"Hanyu prevailed over a field lacking any of the other top-10 skaters from last season" (that's like normally the case for the early part of the GP though??)

"The two-time Olympic champion, with four quadruple jumps in his free skate en route to 322.59 total points, only upped anticipation for showdowns with American Nathan Chen to come later this season." (Because clearly they had to pull the attention back where it belongs)

Nothing they wrote is false, but its the subtle spin on the language choices? Or maybe this is all perfectly reasonable and I'm just being sensitive but for some reason in reacting strongly to this article...

Oh lord 🙄. NBC always goes for sensationalist articles. Rivalry? What rivalry? They put a spin on it with word choice to make it out for a sort of show down between them and making sure to note Chen's scores-really NBC? This stuff gets me so annoyed.

Im a US fan, but when I read stuff like that-it just makes me root harder for Yuzuru...I dont wish Nathan ill. I like him, but by comparison I dont think he is as well rounded as Yuzuru. Not yet. He's working at it though. I just really dont like these imagined or forced rivalries.

Nathan and Yuzuru have both said they respect each other. Nathan has mentioned Yuzuru ignites a fire in him-pushes him. All skaters at this level are competitive, but that doesnt mean they're all rivals.

Best thing to do is ignore it...so really, I should take my own advice 😅😂