General Yuzuru Chat

26 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Same. Particularly the Seimei-style side lunge...it just didn't work. It would have been better to put a different step there. So when I say Yuzu should sometimes leave his favorites out instead of trying to force them to all fit into every program, this is the kind of thing I mean.

I'm not saying he should stop doing his favorites altogether. I'm saying he should pick and choose and add new things in instead. For example, if he could learn that sliding backwards lunge thingy that Kevin Aymoz does, that would add a cool new element to his repertoire. 

By now, we all know a Yuzu program is going to have a certain set of moves in it no matter what. That's a strength but also a weakness because he runs the danger of becoming too predictable. I don't want him to ever become predictable.

I agreed about the unnecessary side lunge. It made his programs look busy because he can't hold his position longer. 

5 minutes ago, wpisces said:

I agreed about the unnecessary side lunge. It made his programs look busy because he can't hold his position longer. 

But, according to judges, you need to be super busy to gain that TR points ( Alina's always busy, Shoma's and Nate's gazillion crossovers made them look super busy hence high TR).

I'm kidding :3:

Back on track, I'm super excited for his first GP! How's the first GP curse going so far?

28 minutes ago, wpisces said:

Particularly the Seimei-style side lunge...it just didn't work. 

It doesn't work when one expects a long-held side lunge, instead of a choreographic position just meant to be held as long as the drum beat in the music. It works perfectly for me, since (during that choreo sequence(? Is it how you call this? If not, sorry for confusing terminologies >_<) ) it looks perfectly in place with other moves done before and after the lunge — resulting in the image of the onmyouji doing the long incantation to banish demons accompanied with such movements (or at least that's how I see it whenever I watch Seimei <3 )

9 hours ago, vanadiezz said:

Now, I have a burning question in my mind for the last 2-3 days (After getting annoyed by Tara's and some comments on YT videos from Skate America, actually). :oops:

The question is, how would you see a skater as 'artistic' and deduced them at the same level or not?

I might be biased as hell, but I'm thinking the difference between Yuzu and the current top skaters is that Yuzu enacted a story with his programs. There is always something behind those programs and on his good days he is capable to sell it very well and engaging my emotions as the result. 

Hide contents

That is why it annoyed the hell out of me when I saw comments on Nate's video saying he now is on the same level of artistry with Yuzu. Nate's SP this year is a fun, fast paced one and he is able to sell it well. But I have never been able to find deeper meanings from any of his programs. Watching his FP even makes me think that Dai will be able to pull such music better.

Sorry for having to read my shortened rant here, but how would you actually see it?

About artistry, I think it is something, that can't be compared in this way. Everyone is different and has different feelings about it. Therefore, it is hard to judge artistry, yet the judges have to do it. It's something, that will be discussed again and again.

I don't think there is currently anyone who could be compared to Yuzuru, though. You can't really measure artistry or compare different styles, but there are some levels, or degrees of artistry, that are too obvious. And it is obvious, that Yuzuru, whatever style he has, is at the level way beyond any skater I know (at least from the younger generation). I think, I am not biased at this one. He can have a style that doesn't suit everyone, but he does that style well.

Spoiler

That other thing, though... :yznotimpressed: 

I was super annoyed as well. I've watched Nathan's FS at YT. I enjoyed his program, it is not very well composed, but he tried his best while skating. It was actually first time I've had a feeling Nathan is trying to express the music. It was nice. But the commentary!!! Ugh...!!! Tara was either out of her mind or way too nationalistic. That's not how you should compare two skaters!!! 

When you comment on a competition, it can be interesting to compare skaters that are actually skating together at that one competition!!! Why would you do something so unnecessary and compare Nathan to Yuzuru who wasn't even there? And in artistry out of all things? :headdesk:

I really feel that USA media are trying hard to end Nathan's career. It does not help him to make such statements, people! 

If you feel a need to compare two skaters in general, not only within that one competition, then you should have a very good reason. This one was just blabbering. Completely ruined the mood for me.

the speed of this thread lol cant catch up esp at work :LOL:

I do agree with what everyone said about how Yuzu tends to incorporate his sig moves to almost all of his programs. I do think they feature his versatility as an artist and they make the programs seem HIS. I know it's funny to say they're his since those are all the sig moves he pays tribute to, but I find Yuzu to be the type who is always curious and wants to make them more stand out by putting meaning to them. He is like both a jack of all trade and master of all. But I agree that having those moves all or many of these sig moves from one program after another can be predictable. Thats why I sorta mourn when I know the hydroblade is now in his SP since I had enough of them always being in his Free and Exhs.

the side lunge in Seimei tho, if I'm referring to it correctly, is totally suitable to me personally. I actually think the duration of how long the move holds make a difference in expressing the move. For example, in PW, he held it really long across the ice during that high guitar note and his hand gestures made him a total rock star. In Seimei, like @Figure_Frenzy described, held for a fraction of a sec to match the drum beat and I find it expressed the image of the onmyouji doing some kind of martial art or ritual dance. 

50 minutes ago, Figure_Frenzy said:

It doesn't work when one expects a long-held side lunge, instead of a choreographic position just meant to be held as long as the drum beat in the music. It works perfectly for me, since (during that choreo sequence(? Is it how you call this? If not, sorry for confusing terminologies >_<) ) it looks perfectly in place with other moves done before and after the lunge — resulting in the image of the onmyouji doing the long incantation to banish demons accompanied with such movements (or at least that's how I see it whenever I watch Seimei <3 )

& @makebelieveup Yes, it works in Seimei. But I'm saying that it didn't work in Origin; it looked out of place there. 

2 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Yes, it works in Seimei. But I'm saying that it didn't work in Origin; it looked out of place there. 

I think the verdict is still out for me on lunge in Origin, I think it's marred by the pop. He didn't really do full run-throughs in practice so we didn't really get the transition from 4T3A to spin, I think during competition he was visibly thinking after popping the toe and likely debating if he should try different combos for the last 2 jumps. Maybe with more attack and commitment the lunge would look more natural. The twizzle entrance however - love it.

1 minute ago, kiches said:

The twizzle entrance however - love it.

I love all his twizzles; that's one move of his that I think should be done longer and more often in every program of his. But that's just my bias. If he actually did all-twizzle programs all the time, we'd soon be tired of them . :space:

I think I can help you guys in this discussion about Yuzu's new programs by offering a comparison

Here is H&L at ACI, the first performance of the program

and here is the program at Worlds

You can see how much the program changed and grew throughout the season (not just the jumps). I personally did not like it until NHK