General Yuzuru Chat

58 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

I don't feel like any of his programs look alike... the same move can have a different meaning/feeling every time it's done. But I understand if it's seen that way.

I totally agree, each of Yuzu’s program has its own story and tells something different. And even the same program can be different depending on the competition. 

Seimei can’t be compared to H&L or R&J neither can Ballade be compared to PW or LGC. 

About Yuzu and his signature moves. I don't think he needs to keep all his fav elements if that is too much for the programs' sake. But I can't recall the times when I thought "this is too much" about his signature moves within his past programs/performances. Hydro in Seimei and H&L give totally different feel even though the fundamental movements are the same . They simply hold different meaning in each programs. However, I can see why some of the satellites are not convinced that Yuzu should keep his moves. I believe the key is in the performance itself. For me, not all the movements in ACI Origin were connected well enough to become the integral part of the program. Some movements seemed rather scattered therefore the story was not seamless to me to get their meaning in the program. I believe the reduced 30 seconds had impacted on the rhythm of story build up. Yuzu needs a little bit more time to choose and set each elements into its rightful place. ACI is a challenger series competition so Yuzu could afford to try out his first drawing to feel the whole program without worrying too much about the result. I think that's what it was - trial run for the first time in front of the audience. Yuzu will have to get the balance right in terms of how the story goes with each elements and if he finds he can't fit all the moves to create a story, he may have to change some to make it work.

I think Yuzu's weakness as well as strength is his sensitivity. His body and mind both suffer and excel because of his sensitivity. Another of his weakness and strength is his stubbornness. Weakness or strength, you can use it to your advantage or it can throw you off completely. Yuzu will definitely need to control how much/when to use each. It is good to know that he's still developing in a sense as a person as well as a skater despite the fact he's a two time olympics champion. How amazing...:7562096:

5 minutes ago, Xen said:

Hmm, about that private thing with Kurt, I do wonder if it's possible Yuzu wants to do one of Kurt's old programs and was asking for permission? Maybe "Singing in the Rain" as an ex?

This one is funny!! Japanese commentator called Kurt "God of skating". And also he commented "Lost his hair but gained his skills"...it's a bit rude:smiley_hairpull:

Spoiler

Yes! A jazz number for ex would be wonderful!!

38 minutes ago, BWOZWaltz said:

About Yuzu and his signature moves. I don't think he needs to keep all his fav elements if that is too much for the programs' sake. But I can't recall the times when I thought "this is too much" about his signature moves within his past programs/performances. Hydro in Seimei and H&L give totally different feel even though the fundamental movements are the same . They simply hold different meaning in each programs. However, I can see why some of the satellites are not convinced that Yuzu should keep his moves. I believe the key is in the performance itself. For me, all movements in ACI Origin were not connected well enough to become the integral part of the program. Some movements seemed rather scattered therefore the story was not seamless to me to get their meaning in the program. I believe the reduced 30 seconds had impacted on the rhythm of story build up. Yuzu needs a little bit more time to choose and set each elements into its rightful place. ACI is a challenger series competition so Yuzu could afford to try out his first drawing to feel the whole program without worrying too much about the result. I think that's what it was - trial run for the first time in front of the audience. Yuzu will have to get the balance right in terms of how the story goes with each elements and if he finds he can't fit all the moves to create a story, he may have to change some to make it work.

I think Yuzu's weakness as well as strength is his sensitivity. His body and mind both suffer and excel because of his sensitivity. Another of his weakness and strength is his stubbornness. Weakness or strength, you can use it to your advantage or it can throw you off completely. Yuzu will definitely need to control how much/when to use each. It is good to know that he's still developing in a sense as a person as well as a skater despite the fact he's a two time olympics champion. How amazing...:7562096:

I'm in the same boat, I'm okay with him keeping a signature move in his program if it's done to the theme of the program. I usually find that Yuzu gives off a very different form of expression during his ina bauer for instance, depending on the program (R&J2 is actually my favorite version of his ina bauer). However, I do think he can drop the hydroblade or limit his signature moves to one per program. At this point I wonder if it's Shae who automatically puts those signature moves in, or if they both expect to have it in there. I think the fact that he dropped the biellmann and is doing different spins this year is showing he's willing to experiment.

I don't care if there's a literal story or even a character (in fact, I tend to dislike literal choreography), but I do care that there's a clear intent in the program. That intent can be a feeling or emotion, or something abstract. I think one of Yuzu's greatest strengths is I always feel like I can "see" him in his programs, no matter what program he's doing, whether he's doing a character or not, I can connect with it and him. Maybe this goes to the sensitivity that Matsuoka was talking about, and maybe it's part of why Yuzu has so many dedicated fans. It's very different from a skater like Javier, for instance, who performs outward to the audience. I think the Robin Cousins hit the nail on the head when he said "[Yuzu] needs to know what he wants and he makes them come to him. It's a different dynamic, but it is absolutely is mesmerizing." He definitely has a way of drawing you in. I do think Yuzu's general weakness is stamina still, it's improved leaps and bounds but I think it's also why his spins in his free program are more an 8 rather than a 10. He does overthink things sometime, but usually he's able to move beyond that as the season goes on. He's also extremely stubborn, he has ideals and he likes to stick to them, sometimes at the cost of winning a competition in the short term.

1 hour ago, Xen said:

Hmm, about that private thing with Kurt, I do wonder if it's possible Yuzu wants to do one of Kurt's old programs and was asking for permission? Maybe "Singing in the Rain" as an ex?

Didn't Keegan do "Singing in the Rain"?  Mind you he also did "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" from Monty Python and the image of Yuzu skating too that one is making me howl with laughter!!!!

2 minutes ago, Louitunes said:

Didn't Keegan do "Singing in the Rain"?  Mind you he also did "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" from Monty Python and the image of Yuzu skating too that one is making me howl with laughter!!!

Isn't Keegan still doing Singing in the Rain? I know he kept Chaplin. I'd love to see Yuzu do this kind of a program though. 

1 hour ago, vanadiezz said:

:tumblr_inline_mzx8txTRzl1r8msi5:

I was actually thinking more like Parisienne Walkways with less clean elements and a music choice I can live without. 

This is what I was thinking too. And Nathan took his costume inspiration from Patrick. Or maybe straight up borrowed the shirt. 😃

5 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Isn't Keegan still doing Singing in the Rain? I know he kept Chaplin. I'd love to see Yuzu do this kind of a program though. 

Don't think so unless he's doing it for exhibition.  The Monty Python one is great.

1 hour ago, BWOZWaltz said:

For me, not all the movements in ACI Origin were connected well enough to become the integral part of the program. Some movements seemed rather scattered therefore the story was not seamless to me to get their meaning in the program.

Same. Particularly the Seimei-style side lunge...it just didn't work. It would have been better to put a different step there. So when I say Yuzu should sometimes leave his favorites out instead of trying to force them to all fit into every program, this is the kind of thing I mean.

I'm not saying he should stop doing his favorites altogether. I'm saying he should pick and choose and add new things in instead. For example, if he could learn that sliding backwards lunge thingy that Kevin Aymoz does, that would add a cool new element to his repertoire. 

By now, we all know a Yuzu program is going to have a certain set of moves in it no matter what. That's a strength but also a weakness because he runs the danger of becoming too predictable. I don't want him to ever become predictable.