Media Day 2018

22 minutes ago, lazuliblade said:

If Yuzu is practicing the 4A in these practices right now, he probably asked the reporters not to show footage of it. Going by his interviews, it's not perfect yet and he's still working out the technique to land it more consistently at a high quality and success rate. So yes, I'd say they're hiding the footage, but not in a "lol just wait until they see it at GP Helsinki" more of a "he's never shown his attempts before and so we'll respect his decision and request not to show anyone this time too."

Part of me wonders whether he is actually landing it already, just not to his high standards in terms of consistency and +GOE (aka complicated entries and exits), and thats what he means by "i'm not landing it"

Well, I'm also on team "don't think 4A is there yet" but I do suspect potentially a UR 4A was seen. It's probably best for ours and FS world's sanity that the footage isn't shown. 

He says he wants to land it this season, but can't really practice it daily due to recovery period, so if a clean 4A comes out, it's more likely at say worlds, or WTT or something when it will debut. He practiced the 4Lo a lot more constantly, and it still took him some time (1 full off season and then some since he started way earlier). 

24 minutes ago, BWOZWaltz said:

We've had a streaming party with  @Murieleirum's curtesy tonight and the channel was FUJI so maybe we can find out from her...

I just took the usual link we use sometimes for streaming (https://mov3.co/en/fujitv/) after someone linked it to us but I really don't know which channel it is! Sorry c: 

20 minutes ago, OonsieHui said:

Part of me wonders whether he is actually landing it already, just not to his high standards in terms of consistency and +GOE (aka complicated entries and exits), and thats what he means by "i'm not landing it"

I think he's doing -1, -2 GOE landings rn. UR but pretty huge already. I think the 3A we were shown today was part of his 4A training. I could kinda see he was aiming to gain lenght on the jump. It was huge. 

22 minutes ago, Xen said:

Well, I'm also on team "don't think 4A is there yet" but I do suspect potentially a UR 4A was seen. It's probably best for ours and FS world's sanity that the footage isn't shown. 

He says he wants to land it this season, but can't really practice it daily due to recovery period, so if a clean 4A comes out, it's more likely at say worlds, or WTT or something when it will debut. He practiced the 4Lo a lot more constantly, and it still took him some time (1 full off season and then some since he started way earlier). 

I would go as far as saying that he at least landed some fully rotated ones, just because he wants to try it this season already - knowing he's a perfectionist it makes me assume that it may be at least halfway there, just very, very inconsistent.

4 hours ago, Murieleirum said:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PdwirWEG6WuKbm8Nna4EY6KdAy00Vv_6/view?usp=sharing

This is like the first attempt I make at inventing a costume...

I liked the idea of 'seethrough with black lines of tree branches' for the sleeves and the top part of the costume... and then I just copied that wonderful POTO part of the costume with the golden leaves cutting the torso diagonally, and the striped backround with Autumn colors... but maybe the striped background is a little too much and the leaves would be better suited with a more delicate background. But! I really enjoyed making this :68556365: I hope Yuzuru's choice will be ever more beautiful and stylish...

Oh, that's really nice. I could totally see him wearing something like that. 

1. IMHO, and not knowing him personally, he sure seems a lot calmer. It’s a nice thing to see. His family must be happy. 

2.. I think he looks good in clothing with a collar or turtleneck, he looks quite elegant. Even in his training gear, the collars are flattering. He really needs to listen to me about this and design a costume with a collar. Lol 

:snpeace: see...flattering collar. 

5 minutes ago, Whee1000 said:

1. IMHO, and not knowing him personally, he sure seems a lot calmer. It’s a nice thing to see. His family must be happy. 

2.. I think he looks good in clothing with a collar or turtleneck, he looks quite elegant. Even in his training gear, the collars are flattering. He really needs to listen to me about this and design a costume with a collar. Lol 

:snpeace: see...flattering collar. 

I prefer costumes without a collar because you can see how long his neck is.:D

29 minutes ago, Xen said:

True, but we don't know for sure he hasn't practiced 4A previously. Knowing him, it's unlikely he'd say he wants to do it in competition this year, while also clarifying that if he does it, he'll want it to get positive GOE, if he were really still at a point where he's not fully rotating at at least decent consistency. It's true he has over a month between ACI and Helsinki, but he'll generally have less time to train it after the season starts and that's not really enough time to bring it up that much.

Basically, we don't know much about his 4A history, but I can't get some comments from last year out of my head... comments that make me wonder if he might not have wanted, if everything went absolutely perfectly, to do it at the Olympics. He sounded a little bit like he was considering it already last year, but was unsure early on, and then the injury put an end to any crazy plans. Or at least, he didn't rule it out. I'm not saying it was ready last year, but it did seem like he was thinking about it already then. So, if he had any kind of progress last year, now it could be farther along than we think. No idea if that is so or not. We'll probably only find out in the future, probably, but it just wouldn't surprise me. *shrugs*

But it's unlike him to say something like this and not have what to back it up with. It's actually a lot more than he said about 4Lz before bringing it. It is, however, like him to downplay his progress, partly because his standards are much higher and partly because he's a tease :P

1 hour ago, Lunna said:

I agree. I think 4A is not competition ready and maybe even Yuzu isn't sure when it will be (there's no need to hurry anyway). So even if TV has any footage they will keep it until actual competition attempt or some documentary.

More prosaically, 4A is a very big jump with high potential for disaster. It might not actually be safe to do it with so many other skaters on the ice...*shiver* sudden flashback to COC '14  so he may have avoided doing it for the cameras for that reason. 

1 hour ago, Xen said:

I highly suspect there is a longer footage just not shown yet. This was the one show that had that tour of TCC right? 

maybe they're keeping things stored for times of need:tumblr_inline_ncmifiE3IT1rpglid: remember the after-NHK17 drought :slinkaway:

1 hour ago, KatjaThera said:

I would say it depends... I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't want to show them. On the other hand, he might have given them something for future documentaries lol

As for the doll talk, I have a headache so could be wrong, but I think she asked him about the key to 4A and then gave him the doll and when he asked what kind of position was that, she said it was takeoff, so he fixed it. Then talked about how that's the hardest thing and gave the example of long jumpers who run before taking off and that way they're able to jump about 6 metres (I think he said 6 and they showed 8), but how in FS you have to do that just through leg power. I think it was something like that... and there was more, but my brain gave up there...

I want Yuzuru to make documentaries to explain FS to people :10636614: I swear he can make you feel how it would be like to do such a jump :bow: and make you realize how insanely difficult is to do what skaters do:bow::bow::bow:

ISU & Olympic Channel what are you doing? Send him a cute kid to ask him ASAP!!!:mushroom7: He'd work for free:tumblr_inline_ncmifdw7151rpglid:

10 minutes ago, Sammie said:

Wow he really explains these things so well... now I clearly have the image of just how fast you have to enter the jump to do a 4A...

(also, the reason why not a lot of people have a chance at the jump... Nathan Chen does all the other quads, but his speed in and out of the jumps isn't really ideal)

• Hydroblade unfeatured and unpinned this topic