From now till Beijing 2022, the US media will be in an overdrive as a PR machinery for their top skater. I ponder on the timing of this topic. Is this a message from him to all to stop expecting/questioning his artistry (straight men see it as being feminine or an excuse for those who lack in this department?) but expect athleticism from him and his programs? Are we being prepped for more mayhem in the scoring of PCS when the new seasopn begins?

8 minutes ago, YuzuSkating_IsTheTruth said:

From now till Beijing 2022, the US media will be in an overdrive as a PR machinery for their top skater. I ponder on the timing of this topic. Is this a message from him to all to stop expecting/questioning his artistry (straight men see it as being feminine or an excuse for those who lack in this department?) but expect athleticism from him and his programs? Are we being prepped for more mayhem in the scoring of PCS when the new seasopn begins?

I think you credit Nathan with more foresight if you think he blurted that nonsensical and incoherent answer deliberately. I think he just gave his innermost ideas away, albeit in a very clumsy manner. I think he believes in what he said. 
But full credit to him for taking the blame for that unguarded answer. He at least should learn to be more cautious and diplomatic about he utters, since he’s the face of figure skating as it is now. 
And given some effort from his team, it’s quite viable they turn the whole debacle into positive PR, though. Though most likely, people will have forgotten about it when the season starts. 

I’m definitely with you that he meant what he said. It seemed his PR team and him didn’t expect the online backlash that followed though   I remembered (being pissed off after) watching his previous interview where he replied to watch ice dance for artistry. He  has since set my expectations of his performances. Mostly athleticism came through his programs then and it still does.

On 8/1/2021 at 1:53 PM, Henni147 said:

... The key problem is the motivation behind the decisions he makes:

It would be 100% legit to say: "I want to skate to hip hop or wear athletic costumes, because that is my style, my personality and the best way for me to convey my own feelings."

But to choose all these things in the hope to satisfy a group of people with a bigoted world view is immature and very harmful for figure skating as a whole. Particularly because many people in charge share this view and yes, because a majority of conservative judges favors straight and 'masculine' skaters. This is not a secret....

Or to choose those things because he does not want people to think that he is gay, which basically is homophobia.

On 8/3/2021 at 2:07 PM, Kadova said:

Exactly, what makes me think Yuzu actually likes Nathan, is the smiles he gives him, the shiny eyes....that goes beyond politeness for me I agree it is my opinion and not a proven fact....

....  I am waiting to see if skaters who came out this June will get harsh treatment from the judges next season. I want to believe they won't, the judges better dare not.

Yuzu acts silly and goofs around with people that he likes and is comfortable with. He never does that with Nathan. He is only polite and friendly with him, the same way he acts with other people that he does not know well. I think he respects Nathan and that's it.

The skaters that came out recently have big fed support, so it's probably safe for them to do so. Also, they conform to their gender roles. I think judges are more likely to punish a skater if they "look or act gay"... and they don't even have to come out to receive that harsher treatment. The perception of being gay is enough. I want to see Jason in sparkly, flowery, pink ruffles flouncing around to Barbie Girl as his new SP, and let's see how he gets judged. So I just looked up that song on YouTube and omg those lyrics! I never knew that song was like that! I always thought that song was about shallow, materialistic women. :headdesk2:

On 8/3/2021 at 8:35 PM, Fay said:

I think you credit Nathan with more foresight if you think he blurted that nonsensical and incoherent answer deliberately. I think he just gave his innermost ideas away, albeit in a very clumsy manner. I think he believes in what he said...

I don't think Nathan is any different than most American guys and their mindset is pretty much "gays are ok, but god forbid anyone should think I'm gay". And I'm being generous here because a lot of American guys are downright anti-gay. It's a reflection of society at large where there is still a stigma to being gay. If that's the way Nathan truly feels, then now is a good opportunity for him to take a good, hard look at himself to see why he feels that way and why it's not a good thing.

• 2 weeks later...

OK I'm going to say it.  I kinda enjoyed Vincent's version of himself at the Cranberry Cup.  He seems better connected to the choreo and I liked his final spin variations.  Although the first few jumps were clunky landings, he had a way better outing than disco Yaraslov who seemed a bit cheesy to me and had jump issues.  Now if Donovan had been skating to that score!!!!

On 8/15/2021 at 11:29 PM, Louitunes said:

OK I'm going to say it.  I kinda enjoyed Vincent's version of himself at the Cranberry Cup.  He seems better connected to the choreo and I liked his final spin variations.  Although the first few jumps were clunky landings, he had a way better outing than disco Yaraslov who seemed a bit cheesy to me and had jump issues.  Now if Donovan had been skating to that score!!!!

Vincent's version of himself 😂😂😂😂

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2021 at 12:06 AM, Mary_kyo said:

Ok, I came back because of the notification of you quoting me :rofl2:

First, Oh god…please. I can’t believe I see this in this forum while discussing such sensitive topic….. This is my main problem in discussing with you because you mix your fantasies with realities. Saying “Nathan was told he was gay, so he wants to prove he is straight” is not an excuse for a guy who trained with Adam, dated Amber….

This is the problem: “what nathan said isn’t just an example of misspeaking. it’s a continuation of what homophobia means within figure skating “

https://twitter.com/pinkbIades/status/1419774775573032960

Anyway, some interesting takes on this for everyone:

Honestly, no matter how I look at it, what he said sucked in many different ways. He had no choice but to apologize. But who knows how long it will take him to really change a mindset, if ever.... :shrug:

Mary oh Mary, I'm an adult, I don't fantasize people, lol. I am just trying to understand why on earth Nathan said such idioties.

Also to answer another satellite, I just feel people emotions and to me there's a difference between 2017-2018 and 2019-2021. That's sure Yuzu is not goofing around with Nathan. That does not mean he is just polite. You know what, to each person its perception. I'm fine with everyone's opinion. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Cross-posting from Skate America Gala Thread:

Jimmy Ma at Skate America by Absolute Skating
https://www.instagram.com/p/CVgUSpuoAap/
They share Jimmy's comment in the comment section as they did in their post about Satoko. Jimmy talks about Skate America, his Black Swan SP, and his plan after this.

Guest turquoiseblue

A new article about Alysa Liu

Alysa Liu starts her season with new elegance, confidence

"We need to have a chat with the judges, and have a chat about what they see," said Massimo. "She needs a consistent triple Axel; it is still in progress. We wanted to try it in this competition in the free skate - it was almost there, almost there. But definitely, [we need to] bring the consistency on that, and bring back the quad Lutz, that is in process. And then, speed, still quality of edges, still working on skating skills, movement. We see her at home every day, and there are moments when we say: 'Wow, that's what we want to see." So we're going to work towards that."

Alysa has been dealing with the pressure of being considered as potential contender for Olympic medals since she was barely a teenager. Now that the Olympic season is here, though, she sounded genuinely relaxed.

"I feel less pressure now, I don't know why, but now when I'm on the ice, I'm less nervous. I'm more confident in myself, so I definitely grew mentally," she shared.

• 2 weeks later...