Guest turquoiseblue

:tumblr_inline_ngf9rmaDKb1qid2nw: Update on Bradie Tennell

Media call:

Twitter thread

Bradie Tennell said, "Training has been up and down but things are looking up." She is looking forward to competing in Nashville. "I don't like to give up on things," Tennell said.  Added she definitely plans to continue her competitive career next season.

NBC Sports article:

Bradie Tennell returns for U.S. Figure Skating Championships amid long injury battle
Dec 27, 2021

“There have been several times this year where I thought, oh, hey, this is getting better. And then I would go and try something on the ice. And I’d be like, oh my god, I can’t even walk, and we’re back to square one,” she said last week. “So I’m trying to remain optimistic that everything will be OK.”

Tennell withdrew from all six of her international assignments — from September through early December. She has trained since early this month with one-to-three-day breaks “every so often just based on my pain levels,” she said.

Tennell, whose foot has been aggravated repeatedly by trying to train jumps, wasn’t sure when asked to rate her fitness on a scale of 1 to 100. Her ability to practice run-throughs of her programs “depends on how much I can handle” on a given day, she said.

“I have a different definition of 100 percent this year,” she said. “I’m remaining optimistic, and I’m training as hard as I can. And I’m very hopeful.”

Tennell, who gave the petition process some thought in case she couldn’t compete at nationals, still isn’t totally sure of the specific injury.

It first bothered her in July, but was fine the next day. Then over one weekend, it became a problem and “just never resolved itself or got better,” she said. She had multiple tests on the foot, received many diagnoses, saw doctors while training in Boston and Chicago and tried to figure out the best treatment plan amid the uncertainty.

In October, she said the initial injury was a stress reaction, followed by muscle tears.

“It’s felt like 10 years, but it’s only been six months,” she said last week.

Tom Zakrajsek's comments:

“We realize that nationals is going to be kind of, we’re looking for that Hail Mary pass, right?” said Tom Zakrajsek, Tennell’s coach the last two seasons in Colorado Springs. “What I’ve seen is just grace and dignity throughout this whole process, as frustrating as it is. She’s kept her chin up.”

“I have a lot of faith in her if she can be pain-free,” Zakrajsek said. “If there’s anyone that can go out there with limited training, and give it a good go, it’s Bradie Tennell.”

I admire her for trying to remain optimistic and for her hard work but it is very concerning :( I hope she doesn't push herself too hard...

Guest turquoiseblue

Meet the Athletes: Jason Brown

DESCRIBE A TYPICAL TRAINING DAY.

As of now, on average, my training day is 5:45 a.m. to 4 p.m. including swimming, pilates, two skating sessions, strength training, and cardio.

WHAT’S YOUR NUTRITION PLAN?

I just try my best to eat as clean as possible. My diet consists mostly of fruits, veggies, and protein.

Favorite dessert: chocolate chip banana bread!

WHAT WOULD YOU CHANGE ABOUT YOUR SPORT?

I wish the performance aspect of the sport was valued more when it comes to the scoring.

WHO’S YOUR MOST INTERESTING TEAMMATE?

I had the opportunity to train with Evgenia Medvedeva, and out of everyone I have ever trained with, she truly inspired me the most. I really learned a lot from her when it came to focus, drive, and determination. She taught me a lot, and really impacted me as a competitor.

HAS ANYONE EVER SAID YOU WOULDN’T SUCCEED?

Of course, I've been told numerous times I couldn't achieve my goals because of technical elements I lacked. I believed [my critics] for a period of time and lost a lot of self confidence, self worth, and love for the sport ... Over the last 3 years I've gained a lot of that confidence back.

Guest turquoiseblue

Meet the Athletes: Mariah Bell

I train from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. with several breaks throughout. I wake up at 7:30 a.m. I am training on ice until 3 and then off ice until 4 or 5.

ANYTHING EXPERIMENTAL IN YOUR TRAINING?

I use a device that counts the number and type of jumps I do.

Nothing too restrictive, just making sure I am getting enough calories. For dinner a new favorite thing to have is salmon with lemon butter and potatoes and zucchini.

WHAT WOULD YOU CHANGE ABOUT YOUR SPORT?

I do wish that there was an age separation. I think that young girls who have not gone through puberty should compete against their own age group and possibly 18, or even 17, and up would be a different age group. When taking into account jumps, it's very different to jump with an adolescent body.

WHO IS YOUR MOST INTERESTING TEAMMATE?

Nathan Chen, because we are good friends and I train with him. He is so humble and down-to-earth, I sometimes forget he is a three-time world champion.

I like the series of "Meet the Athletes" articles and I'm looking forward to reading more :tumblr_inline_n2pje2YFXq1qdlkyg:

Guest turquoiseblue

Meet the Athletes: Alexa Knierim

DO YOU HAVE A JOB?

To cover my bills and training expenses, I coach private skating lessons after I finish my training day. It is wonderful to give my expertise and knowledge to other skaters as I work to financially support my career.

Monday through Friday
- 6 a.m.: Wake up
- 8 a.m.: Rink
- 8:30 - 9:15 a.m.: Ice training 
- 9:50-10:10 a.m.: "Off-ice lifts"
-10:20-11:10 a.m.: Ice training
- Lunch break
- 12:45-1:00 p.m.: "Off-ice lifts"
- 1:10-2:00 p.m.: Ice training

Tuesday and Thursday
- 2:15-3:15 p.m.: Gym/strength

- Physical Therapy

- Coaching in the evenings

My meal plan stays consistent through the week. I love oatmeal. It's been a staple part of my diet ever since I started elite training. My diet consists of a variety of food groups. I enjoy vegetables, meats, and nuts.

I love indulging in dark chocolate and cookies. I also love tortilla chips.

WHAT WOULD YOU CHANGE ABOUT FIGURE SKATING?

I wish figure skating had more diversity within the skaters. I think that change is coming slowly but surely. I wish our sport was not as expensive. Many families remove their child from this sport when the financial burden becomes too much to handle.

ARE YOU CLOSE FRIENDS WITH ANY COMPETITORS?

I am not close to other skaters from other countries, but I have competed along side China's top two pair teams for many years. We are friends in a way that when we reunite at competitions, it is always joyful and kind. There is a language barrier but we do our best to show support.

Guest turquoiseblue
7 hours ago, sallycinnamon said:

Bradie Tennell has withdrawn from Nationals due to ongoing foot injury

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYKwuCmMPol/?utm_medium=copy_link

I'm so sorry to hear that but I'm glad that she listened to her body and made the right and brave decision. I wish her all the best :tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:

NBC article:
Bradie Tennell withdraws from U.S. Figure Skating Championships

Reigning U.S. figure skating champion Bradie Tennell withdrew from next week’s national championships due to a chronic right foot injury, ruling her out of Olympic consideration unless she petitions for a spot on the team.

Tennell said last week, when she was set on competing at nationals, that she had looked into the petition process. If Tennell decides to petition, it would have to be submitted by next Friday night.

9 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

will karen be the only possible repeat olympian in ladies? hm

is there anyone else other than alysa, mariah, and karen in the mix? is ting cui still skating?

I haven't heard about Ting Cui since summer where she competed at Skate Milwaukee. She had lot of problems with her jumps then...

There is a promising junior Lindsay Thorngren who did junior GPs this season and went to Warsaw Cup too, plus there's Amber as well...But I think Alysa, Mariah and Karen have the most chances to go.

Guest turquoiseblue
1 hour ago, yuzuangel said:

That's really scary and creepy and I feel so bad for her. well, both of them.

It's devastating... I hope the situation improves soon...