Phil Hersch says Raf told him that Nathan is making significant changes to both his programmes prior to GPF (oh so he IS going to the final then...no idea what his post meant on IG).  The comments under Phil's tweet are worth a look at if you are interested....

Guest Mary_kyo
1 hour ago, Pammi said:

Phil Hersch says Raf told him that Nathan is making significant changes to both his programmes prior to GPF (oh so he IS going to the final then...no idea what his post meant on IG).  The comments under Phil's tweet are worth a look at if you are interested....

His current programs are so sloppy that I doubt except a few handful of people, anyone could bear to watch them till the end. He was always rewarded for the bare minimum so he thought he can get away with below bare minimum again. He was so wrong though. It's so obvious that he just wants to land those jumps and do some random skating at the end to a music noise but be given the gold immediately. He is the perfect example of how unfair scoring leads to extreme stagnation/quality decline.

9 minutes ago, Mary_kyo said:

His current programs are so sloppy that I doubt except a few handful of people, anyone could bear to watch them till the end. He was always rewarded for the bare minimum so he thought he can get away with below bare minimum again. He was so wrong though. It's so obvious that he just wants to land those jumps and do some random skating at the end to a music noise but be given the gold immediately. He is the perfect example of how unfair scoring leads to extreme stagnation/quality decline.

There were many comments under Hersch's tweet saying "Good, his programmes are awful".....he maybe got the message after his 2 GPs that generally speaking, FS fans were not that impressed! (though of course some others say the programmes were brilliant...)

Guest turquoiseblue

New article about Jason: 

Jason Brown Dreams of Perfect Programs

"I woke up one day and my foot was swollen and really painful, and we learned that I had an avulsion fracture in my left metatarsal," he shared. "Fortunately, I have an incredible team of people who put a plan in motion to help me stay in shape while I recovered."

Once he was cleared to go back to training, Brown resumed his work on the quadruple jump. For now, the quadruple is a mystery that he has yet to solve, but the 2015 U.S. champion remains confident that he will one day be able to figure it out. 

"It's something that I know is in me and I am not going to back off," he said. "I'm working my butt off on and off ice—I am doing everything that I can to give myself the best chance to land it in competition."

Since missing the team in 2018, Brown has learned to become comfortable in his own skin which has allowed him to leave the negative thoughts in the dust. He is approaching the second half of the season knowing who he is and is celebrating all the good that comes with that.

"I'm doing me. Whatever happens, happens," he said. "There's something very refreshing about that. My eyes are on Beijing—I would love to compete in the team event in addition to singles, but I have to focus my energy on pushing myself to be the best that I can be. I'm continuing to work on my consistency, and I believe that I am mentally all there to give it my best."

Guest turquoiseblue

Alysa Liu changes coaches, location a month and a half before Olympic figure skating team selected

The skater’s father, Arthur Liu, confirmed the switch Monday morning in a text to NBCSports.com.

Two days after returning from the NHK Trophy in Tokyo, which ended Nov. 14, Liu left coaches Massimo Scali and Jeremy Abbott in the San Francisco Bay Area and moved to Colorado Springs, Colorado, to train with Christy Krall, Drew Meekins and Viktor Pfeifer.

Asked the reason for the change, Arthur Liu wrote, “I felt Alysa needed more intensity in her training and the coaches and I were not on the same page as to how the training should be.”

Meekins, world junior pairs’ champion in 2006, said in a text message he and Pfeifer would be in charge of Liu’s overall training.

“I will focus on training and performing the program and readying her for competition,” Meekins said. “Christy and Eddie (Shipstad, who works with skaters on the pole harness) will focus on stabilizing her jump technique through Dartfish and other analysis.

“In the next 40 days, the goal is to make adjustments to her training routine so that she can give an optimal performance at the US Championships, maximizing GOE on all of her elements, as well as performing clean jumps.

“At the same time, we will prepare for the Olympic Games, so if she is selected, she will have the necessary preparation she would need to deliver a performance in Beijing that is competitive with what the top women skaters in the world are doing.”

Guest turquoiseblue

New articles about Camden Pulkinen and Mariah Bell:

Camden Pulkinen - “I believe in myself”

Dealing with emotions and nerves in competition is a continuous challenge, Pulkinen acknowledges--for him and for all skaters.

"Everyone can do everything in practice. Or if you had 30 tries to do something," Pulkinen mused. "But you get one shot. And it's in competition, under bright lights. So you've got to be prepared."

An important aspect of Pulkinen's preparation is working with a sports psychologist on the United States Olympic & Paralympic Committee staff. "He's been really helpful in just being mindful, and aware of the thoughts that I have," said Pulkinen, noting U.S. Figure Skating encourages athletes to get mental health coaching support.

Even with preparation, the pressures of elite-level figure skating are hard to manage. "It's obviously really difficult," Pulkinen admitted. "But I've been working a lot on this. I think that the mind is like a muscle. The more you train your mind to deal with all these distractions that you will feel at a competition, the better you'll be able to deal with it when it matters."

Mariah Bell Leans on Experience as She Eyes Beijing

Over the summer Bell spent considerable time working to add a triple Axel to her resume, but it is not something that she is currently training to put into her programs this season.

"There was a lot of trial and error, and it's something that I definitely believe that I am capable of doing," she said. "I think that training has made me physically stronger and has contributed to making my edge jumps a lot better. I typically don't love the edge jumps much, so this has made me much more confident with them."

Bell is currently scheduled to compete at the Golden Spin of Zagreb in early December and will then shift her focus on preparing for the U.S. Championships in January.

"I'll try to maximize my time on and off the ice and will make sure that I am focusing on proper recovery and nutrition," she explained. "Four years ago, I think that I got a little too much into the chatter of the Olympic season, and I learned a lot from that. I am focusing on what I can control and less on those things that I cannot. It has definitely made competing much more enjoyable."

Guest turquoiseblue

Bradie Tennell has withdrawn from all her competitions so far this season due to a foot injury. Hopefully, she will be ready for the Nationals. 

Here is a new article focusing on her coaching change in the summer of 2020 and her accomplishments in the 2020-21 season: 

Bradie 2.0: A Change of Scenery has Tennell Excited for Olympic Season

With the 2022 Olympic Winter Games in Beijing fast approaching, Tennell is hoping all of her hard work culminates in another opportunity to represent her country on the biggest stage.

And training in Olympic City, USA has been the perfect path to get her there.

"There are days where I'll be sluggish. And then I'll look up and I'll see the rings on the wall and I'll be like, 'That's how I'm going to do it,' Tennell said. "That's what I'm doing this for. That's the goal, right there. That's why I'm on the ice this early.

"Every time I look up at the wall and see the rings there, I'm like, 'Nah, we're in this. That's the goal right there. I want that more than anything in the world, so I'm going to work to get it.'"

• 2 weeks later...
Guest turquoiseblue

Calalang and Johnson Clear Hurdle, Ready to Live the Dream

"On February 12, I received an email from the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency telling me that the urine sample that I provided at the U.S. Championships was positive for 4-cholorophenoxyacetic acid (4-CPA)," Calalang said. "It's a metabolite of the prohibitive substance meclofenoxate."

"I was running around trying to find some of the things that we thought it could have been such as a collagen powder that I had been using," she explained. "I still had some left, so I was able to locate the lot number. Then, I had to find my receipt to prove where and when I bought it. I went back to the store where I bought it to see if they still had any with that lot number, and fortunately they did, so I bought more so that I could send an unopened bin for testing."

In addition to the collagen powder, Calalang also sent out soap and other cosmetics to be tested, but everything came back negative. As she continued her search for what might have caused the positive test, she and Johnson learned that the substance typically stays in the system for just a few days.

At the end of September Calalang received word that USADA and the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) had cleared her of any wrongdoing, attributing her positive test to cosmetic products that included the chlorphenesin. At that point Calalang was fully reinstated, including her funding restored.

Curious about opinions on Illia Malinin? (He's probably been mentioned in this forum somewhere before)

He calls himself quadg0d on IG and seems cocky AF. He's got all the quads for sure, yet he seems to be a bit inconsistent with landing them. His parents were Soviet skaters so he's certainly inherited their drive and is coached by his mother. Illia is aiming for the 4A and quad combinations.

Other than that I don't know much about him, but he seems like a cockier version of Nathan as a 17 year old (he looks up to Nathan). Even without knowing much about him something just rubs me the wrong way...

51 minutes ago, KendallKlaire said:

Curious about opinions on Illia Malinin? (He's probably been mentioned in this forum somewhere before)

He calls himself quadg0d on IG and seems cocky AF. He's got all the quads for sure, yet he seems to be a bit inconsistent with landing them. His parents were Soviet skaters so he's certainly inherited their drive and is coached by his mother. Illia is aiming for the 4A and quad combinations.

Other than that I don't know much about him, but he seems like a cockier version of Nathan as a 17 year old (he looks up to Nathan). Even without knowing much about him something just rubs me the wrong way...

Honestly, I've seen his posts on social media and definitely think the same... Seems so over-confident, he even suggested he deserves to be on the Olympic team  O_o Shows his weird combos like triple-4Lo<< and 4T<+4T<< looking for praises, really thought he has a nice future two years ago when he debuted at JGP, now I'm pretty sure he's the next Nathan for American media, after Nathan likely retires. And 2026 OGM, if he only lands the jumps.

Puts me off tbh...

Guest turquoiseblue

Jason posted a message to the Japanese fans :img_21:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CW-z5xesKeK/

I will see you soon, just not next week. Health and safety is always the most important. One day in the near future, I’ll return to Japan. I eagerly await for that day! Until then, I’m sending lots of love and healthy wishes to one of my favorite countries and to all the Japanese fans!! I love you all!! 😘