Team Russia

30 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

That's some pressure

Well, that's not healthy. I'm so over this attitude that puberty is a monster that has to be held off at any cost in ladies' figure skating. It's horrible for the skaters, it sets them up for lifelong medical problems.

16 minutes ago, river said:

Well, that's not healthy. I'm so over this attitude that puberty is a monster that has to be held off at any cost in ladies' figure skating. It's horrible for the skaters, it sets them up for lifelong medical problems.

Agree. Surely modern understanding of biomechanics has advanced enough that someone can come up with techniques for fully grown women to jump quads if that's what they want. 

25 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Agree. Surely modern understanding of biomechanics has advanced enough that someone can come up with techniques for fully grown women to jump quads if that's what they want. 

Like, say, a 23-year-old with a new 4T? Liza is proof that it's possible for some, if they have good technique. She hasn't landed it in competition, but the practice videos looked great.

6 minutes ago, river said:

Like, say, a 23-year-old with a new 4T? Liza is proof that it's possible for some, if they have good technique. She hasn't landed it in competition, but the practice videos looked great.

yes exactly. I don't  buy the prevailing wisdom that women with curves can't jump the big jumps. Just purely on logic and science, it should be possible with the right technique. 

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

yes exactly. I don't  buy the prevailing wisdom that women with curves can't jump the big jumps. Just purely on logic and science, it should be possible with the right technique. 

At least with normal proportions.
While I tend to think, as we speak of twenty-something full-grown Ladies, adaptation to the changes of pregnancy (with limited training to avoid strain on frail ligaments) and breastfeeding (hourly changes in breast shape) would probably be harder than for ballerinas.

Thank you Paskud and Yuzuangel, after reading the interview I don't read her answer anymore as I did the first time. I think she didn't mean Team Tutberidze's expectations were for them not to grow. Just, high-level athletics use to postpone growth, but not indefinitely, and excessive diets and other stupid things would be of no use should anybody want to prevent skaters from growing.

16 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

They started selling them in February. Looks like they’re offering refunds or allowing people to keep their tickets and attend the show next year.

As with SOI Yokohama, canny business.

I do hope Jason will be there last year, I googled his character and am DYING to see him in that costume - and hair!!!

24 minutes ago, FlyingCamel said:

The 11 year olds won’t be in Beijing yet! The youngest ones who will be in Beijing would be the current batch of girls in their first JGP season: Alysa Liu, Kamila Valieva and Daria Usacheva to name a few

I saw the other day where TASS.ru published a bit touting Valieva as the next great thing. 

23 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I saw the other day where TASS.ru published a bit touting Valieva as the next great thing. 

Only think that at the tender age of 8, Kamila Valieva was able to skate on The Dying Swan without ridicule! :eeking:

As to Sofia Akatieva (12), Veronika Zhilina (11)... they will have to wait until Torino.

And neither Kamila Valieva, nor Daria Usacheva must take their selection for granted. I wouldn't even except Alina Zagitova if she resumes competition. She's a great performer, becoming a remarkable interpret, and her skating skills (stopping and departing, step jumps, "speaking" spins etc) are second (all right, by far) only to Yuzuru Hanyu's (and similar to Alena Kostornaya's), in my (ignorant) opinion; and "thanks to" confinement, her training mates/rivals will also have to "restart from scratch". And of course, let's not forget Elizabeta Tuktamysheva, if Alexei Mishin pushes her in this direction. So, we have "the four A", the two Junior, maybe Maiia Khromykh if she goes over her quads, and Liza Tuktamysheva, 8 top skaters for 3 spots... and believe me, Eteri Tutberidze will neglect none of hers.

Of course it will be triple axel PLUS quads, maybe two different.

Weren't we speaking of real life being more incredible than manga or novels?